Silicic Acid

• Thread starter kuz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I do not make decisions based on water readings from an EC meter after I put stuff in water. So, it's a real number and not an interpolated number based on a reading.

If we were to compare:
AgSil16H, which is 52.8% SiO2 and 26.9% K (32.4% K2O), I would add 94.7 mg/L to get 50 ppm of SiO2. This would also add 25.5 ppm K. Total dissolved solids added to solution = 75.5 ppm.
AgSil21, which is 26.5% SiO2 and 10.5% K (12.4% K2O), I would add 188.7 mg/L (0.137 mL/L) to get 50 ppm SiO2. This would also add 19.8 ppm K. Total dissolved solids added to solution = 69.8 ppm.
BromleyAg Monosilicic acid, which is 28% silica, I would add 178.6 mg/L (0.155 mL/L) to get 50 ppm SiO2. Total dissolved solids added to solution = 50 ppm.

Now, in regards to the mix shown earlier in the thread. 148g/L of AgSil16H. This will create a solution that is 78,144 ppm SiO2 and 39,812 ppm K. So, the Weight/Volume % is 7.8% SiO2, not to be confused with liquid products like AgSil21 or BromleyAg's Monosilicic Acid which are listed as a Weight/Weight%, as is the case for all fertilizers regardless whether they are liquids or solids. Right, so, we have a 78,144 ppm solution of SiO2. To get down to 50 ppm SiO2, we divide 50/78,144 and then multiply that by 3785 mL/gal to get 2.42 mL/gal concentration. Total added solids = 75.5 ppm. Feel free to use this dilution calculator to double check my work: http://www.endmemo.com/bio/dilution.php

2.5mL/gal should give you 51.6 ppm SiO2 and 26.3 ppm K for total added solids 77.9 ppm.

Here you go. This is 2.5 ml to gallon
Stock Mix

Last edited:
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
The silicon Hype Train just derailed and is on Fire Burning up in the ditch!! Simple as that, Big Shout out to @Quantrill who also worked his ass off to put together all the info from all the different test that were running behind the scenes to help save other MMJ growers time and most important lots of $$$$.
Osa28,Power Silica, APTUS, No more for me, the lab tests proved it and My wallet is a lot fatter now with the money I'm saving and the plants are rocking !!

Now stop wasting your money on the over priced bottles of silicon and make your own takes less then 5 minutes.
Stop wasting money

Quantrill

Quantrill

I am using tap water,so if i make a stock solution from distilled water,then dump it first into my tap watered rez, will i have issues since the tap has cal/mag etc??.

The procedure I tell people to use to make a working solution that includes silicon from silicate is as follows.
  1. Add the calculated portion of silicate fertilizer to a 3/4 full reservoir while stirring the reservoir, taking care to add the silicate fertilizer slowly while you are stirring to allow it to dilute and mix well.
  2. Add enough pH down adjuster to get the solution pH below 6.5 pH
  3. Add your base fertilizers, again stir while adding the fertilizer slowly.
  4. Check and adjust pH as needed.
At the low concentration of calcium and or magnesium that is in tap water, and the low concentration of silicon in working solution, there should be no precipitation issues if you follow good mixing procedures that limit localized pockets of high concentrations that could allow precipitation. To verify, send a sample to the lab for analysis.

in other words don't dump the entire dose into the reservoir at once, mix it in properly, and you should not have any problems.

Hookah79

Hookah79

I aerate a full 55 gallon rez hours before adding nutes.Would adding the agsil mixture slowly give me issues on a full rez?If i add it to 3/4 ful rez that means i'd have to add the rest after mixing and aerate some more????

I am using Jacks hydro/cal-nit daily in coco,and aptus fasilitor once a week.How often should i add the silica??Daily????

Thanks for your help!.

Last edited:
soserthc1

soserthc1

I have maybe 10ml left in a 16z (170$) bottle. I'm glad I read this thread today.
What's up #oscar good to see you well

L

Large bud

Silicic acid is very reactive, so in order to have a bottled product with relatively concentrated silicic accan silicic acid for chromotology be used? id you have to stabilize it. That is you have to make it less reactive. If I remember correctly Fasillito and Silliforce use PEG formulations to stabilize it and Yara ActiSil uses Choline Chloride to stabilize it.

How do you suppose they derive this silicic acid?

It says on the label "Derived from: potassium silicate, boric acid and sodium molybdate".

So they take potassium silicate, dilute it in water to hydrolyze the silicate into silicic acid, then because silicic acid is not stable in solution they have to stabilize it so their product that is mostly water has a useful shelf life.

Doesn't it make more sense to have a supply of potassium silicate, so that you can make your own dilute silicic acid solution on an 'as needed' basis. Thus circumventing the need for fancy stabilized silicic acid in a bottle products?

just thinking out loud.
Can yo
Silicic acid is very reactive, so in order to have a bottled product with relatively concentrated silicic acid you have to stabilize it. That is you have to make it less reactive. If I remember correctly Fasillito and Silliforce use PEG formulations to stabilize it and Yara ActiSil uses Choline Chloride to stabilize it.

How do you suppose they derive this silicic acid?

It says on the label "Derived from: potassium silicate, boric acid and sodium molybdate".

So they take potassium silicate, dilute it in water to hydrolyze the silicate into silicic acid, then because silicic acid is not stable in solution they have to stabilize it so their product that is mostly water has a useful shelf life.

Doesn't it make more sense to have a supply of potassium silicate, so that you can make your own dilute silicic acid solution on an 'as needed' basis. Thus circumventing the need for fancy stabilized silicic acid in a bottle products?

just thinking out loud.

L

Large bud

I bought silicic acid 100mesh for chromotology. It looks to be the same stuff. I've been using it instead of my normal silica, and along with my regular feeding program nutes, to a single plant in my grow. So far I haven't seen any negative results. So my question is , will i see negative affects or is this just like normal silica? If it is like normal silica it much less expensive this way.

Top Bottom