Since Strains Got Stronger Throughout The Years, Riddle Me This???

• Thread starter greenboot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenboot

greenboot

Why do so many people claim that nothing tops the original strains that are created, when people make recreations, crosses and spin offs of those original strains? i've read that since the late 60's up until now, the strongest plants went from about 8% thc up to 30% thc,,, which makes me think that the (nothing tops the original) claims have no real validity…. can somebody please help me understand why this claim is law??????? or is it really all just a matter of opinion???

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
There's also the issue that those numbers
come from The Government/DEA;
I've always questioned the accuracy of those figures,
and the methodology of the official carved-in-stoned testing results:
maybe a handful of Gold Colombian pulled out of a random bale,
that had been soaked in seawater and stored in a hot dry warehouse--
for years???...

greenboot

greenboot

They have no real validity in terms of potency, but the truthis some beautiful aspects of strains are being bred out for "potency" the real reason strains are better than others have to due with terpenes rather than other cannabinoids, like, i recently tested my baby og because it makes everyone cheese up and put a bright brilliant mood on everyone, and it turn out that thc percents are moderate 19% but the beta caryophyllene levels went off the charts surpasing 20 mg which is even higher per gram value than black pepper itself, which is most prevalent as a part of its essential oil. And is the most recently discovered cannabinoid. So the answer why some stronger strains appear less potent to seasoned smokers is due to the entourage effect, IE; myrcene in combination with thc helps it brake the blood brain barrier much easier hence a smaller amount of thc will enter the brain easier and more rapidly.
i hear you but i have original strains as well as s1's and crosses that i have found to be more potent and even better tasting than the original strains they came from. thats the reason why i started this post.. because these new versions i own contradicts everything i've read about not being able to top the original strains..

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
i hear you but i have original strains as well as s1's and crosses that i have found to be more potent and even better tasting than the original strains they came from. thats the reason why i started this post.. because these new versions i own contradicts everything i've read about not being able to top the original strains..
That can be explained easily by the fact those originals are not that stable and are not the best their genes can make up when slightly shuffled or mixed. Selfing or crossing them results in plants that are better, similar and worse than the parents. But differences in any case, which subjectively can be better too.

greenboot

greenboot

That can be explained easily by the fact those originals are not that stable and are not the best their genes can make up when slightly shuffled or mixed. Selfing or crossing them results in plants that are better, similar and worse than the parents. But differences in any case, which subjectively can be better too.
i agree .. it's just that there are so many legendary strains out there that aren't stabilized that people are swearing can't be topped.. And i for one have topped and improved upon my legendary strains by accident. and theses strains that i own, i was told by many could not be improved or enhanced in any way..

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
There is always room for improvement, no exceptions. Anything else would suggest cannabis breeding peaked, while it is still in its infancy as the lack of consensus alone already shows.

When it comes to plant breeding, also known as plant improvement, it's best to care zero about what others think are the limits and just do your thing.

chronic68

chronic68

Watch the movie acupolco gold its a documentary on where weed came from in the 70s and you'll see really quick why the weed was weaker. Lots of ditch weed and no clue as to how to grow weed I mean they weren't even sexing their plants. Super interesting watch highly recommend it

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

Why do so many people claim that nothing tops the original strains that are created, when people make recreations, crosses and spin offs of those original strains? i've read that since the late 60's up until now, the strongest plants went from about 8% thc up to 30% thc,,, which makes me think that the (nothing tops the original) claims have no real validity…. can somebody please help me understand why this claim is law??????? or is it really all just a matter of opinion???
I just think its coz people wernt as familiar with quality weed back then and they think it was better than it truely was.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Some bud I got back in the day(no idea of the name)blows anything I have ever gotten since out of the water in potency and taste, maybe you were just smokin swag back then?

william76

william76

Yea,plus a plant can be bred worse,especially when done by somebody who doesn't know wot there doing,some of these "original strains" have been mangled by so called breeders trying too find non smelly,big yielding phenols etc,alot of the time sacrificing potency and vigour along the way,bring back nev with his line breeding,76

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I thought a legal state would have better flower for sale than a non legal state but the stuff I used to get in my home state was much better than any flower that I have bought from a dispensary...

greenboot

greenboot

Hit the nail on the head. You want to know why almost no one grows those old school strains anymore? Because they are fucking awful. Modern genetics are far superior to any of the schwag from the 60's and 70's.
i agree 1000%

chronic68

chronic68

A good reason ppl like to use landraces is the weed genepool is fairly shallow at the moment think about it everything is pretty much a og, a Kush, skunk, diesel there are some exceptions but you get my point

greenboot

greenboot

I thought a legal state would have better flower for sale than a non legal state but the stuff I used to get in my home state was much better than any flower that I have bought from a dispensary...
let me explain something to you about the term good breeder.. i am what you supposedly good breeders would call a pollen chucker… i don't work with natural males,, i only deal with east coast clone only legendary strains… the only thing i took from the breeding chapter in my grow bible years ago was that crossing good genetics with more good genetic is the best way to create more good genetics…. thats all i took from that whole breeding chapter.. and man i tell you no lie when i say that there were plenty of strains and crosses from the female beans that i created (both purposely and by accident) that turned out to be some straight up, easy to grow, high yielding, frosty, potent, fire smoke with fantastic highs.. And yes i found few hermies here and there. i also found a small amount of duds,, i found plants that were not as potent that got discarded , i found straight up males that got tossed in the trash. but 90% of my [all female] keepers were just as good (if not more amazing) than the legendary parents that they came from.. I just got back from denver on 420. and i promise you that 90% of what i smoked on out there did nothing for me but make me wanna come back home to smell, taste and puff on what i already had in my stable… And once again,, (i never claimed to be a breeder), but i guarantee you that i have created some strains and off springs that many pro breeders wish they had in there possession…

Latest posts

Top Bottom