Single Cob Cheap Build Suggestions

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

hey farmers and farmettes,
I've been contemplating my next light, I was originally going to buy a roleadro, I was looking at a 300w full spectrum and a couple COBs they have on amazon, but I've been getting more into the idea of a DIY LED, but wanted to start small/cheap, like around - if possible. just so I can get a feel for things, I guess.
Heres the Roleadro 300 I was looking at- https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Upg...id=1486488805&sr=8-14&keywords=led+grow+light

Heres the Roleadro COB I was also considering, it comes in 200w () and 400w () https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4NY6GS/ref=twister_B01N5COOYA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

at this point if I cant build a single cob to use in my 36x20 inch tent, Ill just go with the Roleadro 300w or the roleadro 200w cob

& Here are some of the chips I was looking at
anybody have anything good or bad to say about these chips?
any suggestions for a site with cheap COBs?
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the luxeon 12-array, but figured it would be better to ask my peeps. Im going to assume that the chanzon cobs from amazon are not worth trying, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

any other LED combo suggestions are welcome! I've already got a 1000w convertable HID setup and a 250w cfl setup too, just in case anyone was going to try to convert me lol this is more of an 'experiment' so to speak

iKharon

iKharon

Kinda related.. but have you seen the California Lightworks Solarstorm 880?! Even I'm tempted to get one for next year. Looks like a beast!! Plus the veg and flower modes look easy efficient and rad

sixstring

sixstring

The bridgelux vero is a top quality cob.seen a few guys hack the roladro box with better cobs.
Have you looked into the quantum boards at northern grow lights? Sounds about perfect for your small tent.they have a single board kit that is 1 board,1 driver,1 heatsink kinda plug n play and these are very bright boards with top bin diodes.i have 4 here and just plugged in 2 of them to see how bright they are and i was amazed at the amount of light these things put out.

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

The bridgelux vero is a top quality cob.seen a few guys hack the roladro box with better cobs.
Have you looked into the quantum boards at northern grow lights? Sounds about perfect for your small tent.they have a single board kit that is 1 board,1 driver,1 heatsink kinda plug n play and these are very bright boards with top bin diodes.i have 4 here and just plugged in 2 of them to see how bright they are and i was amazed at the amount of light these things put out.

this one?
they're out of stock, but thats definatley closer to my price range. I never even thought about hacking a roleadro, do people just use the roleadro driver with vero 29 or whatever cob they use?

Good to know I have that option, I could get the 400w and if I want an improvement, I can get hacking! Do you thing the 200w would be enough for my tent or should I go with the 400 if I go that route?

iKharon

iKharon

when I have the extra grand or two I would love to give that a shot
No doubt.. maybe I need to put that as what I want for my birthday or Xmas wrapped up into one gift. Lol. The 'Let there be light' fund.

sixstring

sixstring

this one?
they're out of stock, but thats definatley closer to my price range. I never even thought about hacking a roleadro, do people just use the roleadro driver with vero 29 or whatever cob they use?

Good to know I have that option, I could get the 400w and if I want an improvement, I can get hacking! Do you thing the 200w would be enough for my tent or should I go with the 400 if I go that route?
yes thats the site,he gets new stock often you can use a dif driver if you want more power from it.but its plenty bright at 90 w for your tent/space

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Buy one CXB359, 3500, 36v COB -> ,http://www.rapidled.com/cree-cxb3590-3500k-80-cri/ a passive heat sink, pin or mechatronix, a 50w led driver like this one. ->

Put a plug on the end, connect it to your cob with holder and heat sink $50, driver $5, wiring $10. good luck. 50w under $100
That sounds doable, I'm gonna keep my eyes open for options another couple days, but thats a good option, thanks!
Say @Saint Skinny get at me I think I can help just pm and I'll respond
the M has been P'd. wait that doesnt sound right.
I P'd on the M... crap, thats just as bad
errrh umm message sent

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

No doubt.. maybe I need to put that as what I want for my birthday or Xmas wrapped up into one gift. Lol. The 'Let there be light' fund.
There ya go! I considered starting a swear jar for Horticulture stuff, but then I remembered I would need money to eat, live and other stuff and things. Maybe I'll just get a piggy bank... a 'Grow the Dank Bank' if you will hehe the girls love that LED spectrum! I'm curious if adding that 250w CFL would increase yeild.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

I been wanting to build a led or get one sooooo bad wonder if that light in the link is worth it?

visajoe1

visajoe1

hey farmers and farmettes,
I've been contemplating my next light, I was originally going to buy a roleadro, I was looking at a 300w full spectrum and a couple COBs they have on amazon, but I've been getting more into the idea of a DIY LED, but wanted to start small/cheap, like around - if possible. just so I can get a feel for things, I guess.
Heres the Roleadro 300 I was looking at- https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Upg...id=1486488805&sr=8-14&keywords=led+grow+light

Heres the Roleadro COB I was also considering, it comes in 200w () and 400w () https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I4NY6GS/ref=twister_B01N5COOYA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

at this point if I cant build a single cob to use in my 36x20 inch tent, Ill just go with the Roleadro 300w or the roleadro 200w cob

& Here are some of the chips I was looking at
anybody have anything good or bad to say about these chips?
any suggestions for a site with cheap COBs?
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on the luxeon 12-array, but figured it would be better to ask my peeps. Im going to assume that the chanzon cobs from amazon are not worth trying, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

any other LED combo suggestions are welcome! I've already got a 1000w convertable HID setup and a 250w cfl setup too, just in case anyone was going to try to convert me lol this is more of an 'experiment' so to speak

For your space, I recommend getting the roleadro and switching the cobs. I did that with some citizen clu048 1212 3000k for a second flower light. The cobs and holds cost $30, plus shipping. I did a post on the swap on RIU, but that site is closed I think.

The Roleadro has four 36v 1.2a drivers inside, so upgrading to a standard 36v cob will provide you two spare drivers (that you remove from the Roleadro because they aren't needed) that you can use for another light. Or two.

Top Bottom