Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Freshone

Freshone

I still will do cobs at some point but it's tough to justify when just half my room will take 44 cobs and all that goes with them,the build is the easy part,the wallet hit when I have perfectly good gavitas is harder,lol.Honestly if it wasn't for six and his journey I wouldn't have even considered it,it gets a little old changing things to the latest and greatest every time some new tech comes along.

sixstring

sixstring

I still will do cobs at some point but it's tough to justify when just half my room will take 44 cobs and all that goes with them,the build is the easy part,the wallet hit when I have perfectly good gavitas is harder,lol.Honestly if it wasn't for six and his journey I wouldn't have even considered it,it gets a little old changing things to the latest and greatest every time some new tech comes along.

yeah man it aint cheap to get into quality led's and its a really tough choice if you already have gavita or any of the lec type lamps in operation because the lec and de tech is pretty damn good already.its taken me 58 cobs to almost fill half my room,70 would do it.but im building a new shop now and im thinking it will be 70% cobs and 30% gavita and i might even add some gavita plasmas to the new build.just had a look at those at the grow store and im impressed with that spectrum,just need the price to come down off 600 bucks now haha.

Freshone

Freshone

So if you had to guesstimate how much do you think you have invested in materials in those 58 cobs you've got so far?Have you ever broken down material costs per cob or fixture?Don't worry I won't tell mama,lol.
My biggest reason would be electrical savings both for lights and ac,I'm pretty sure the payback would come pretty quickly.

sixstring

sixstring

So if you had to guesstimate how much do you think you have invested in materials in those 58 cobs you've got so far?Have you ever broken down material costs per cob or fixture?Don't worry I won't tell mama,lol.
My biggest reason would be electrical savings both for lights and ac,I'm pretty sure the payback would come pretty quickly.
yeah holy shit i have alot of cabbage tied up in this lil hobby.its around 25,000.00 if you count my plasma table lol.but on the cob side itself i prob have around 6-7k in parts here but about half this stuff aint even built or hung up yet.whats hanging in my room,58 cobs is about a buck a watt,maybe a lil more like 1.20 per watt.i have appox 2400w of cobs in operation now in a space that used to have 6800w of hps so i cut down my power and a/c alot and im pulling slightly higher numbers from this side of my room.so less heat,less power,happy plants,all that puts a smile on my face :cool:
all i gotta do is think about my lamp changes,i pay around 1200.00 per lamp change so 2400.00 a year in bulbs.that shit is coming to an end.:happy:

Freshone

Freshone

Amazing you cut down your lighting watts by close to 2/3 and we know that equates to alot less AC also.I have 2250(3 750s) over each 4x12 area now so how many cobs to equal this configuration?48 @50w?Or less?

sixstring

sixstring

Progress. ...kinda.man this shits takin forever @stonestacker lol. Got 14 heat/ac runs done.might have a furnace and ac by the end of this week so i got that goin fer me :)
Looks like my panaramalamadingdong didnt work so well ,whatevs.
20170219 165421

sixstring

sixstring

Amazing you cut down your lighting watts by close to 2/3 and we know that equates to alot less AC also.I have 2250(3 750s) over each 4x12 area now so how many cobs to equal this configuration?48 @50w?Or less?

If it was mine i would either do 45 @ 35w or 35 @ 50w.no sense switching over and mathing watts if your setup already works good.but if you can drop your power and keep the yields up then your cookin .
So for a 4 x 12 i would do 5 cob bars and space 7 or 8 of those over the area. But yeah 45 cree @ 35 w would be nice also but not cheap.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I think one of the companies would cut you a deal on pre-made, check Timber, NorthernGrowLights or Amare

sixstring

sixstring

hi Six ,,great [plants under them cob lights ,,,,,mac
Whats good mac :)
Been busy tearin down cooltubes and hangin up cob frames,built a few extras to finish out the other side of my op.hangin the rest of my hvac ducting in the new shop today with a buddy,bout ready for some insulation in there now.hope all is well with you and your family bro,heres some pics,peace.
20170302 141457
20170303 181517
20170303 181543
20170302 141515
20170303 183701
20170304 164850

mandalaman

mandalaman

Building a few more of these 4 bangerz to fill out the cornerz.248w per fixture easy peazy,took down 6300w of hid lights and will try to slap up 3000w of cobz and quantumz :)
View attachment 675888 View attachment 675889 View attachment 675890 View attachment 675892 View attachment 675893 View attachment 675894 View attachment 675895
Looking amazing man.

Question for you, I know you're the king and champion of LED here, yet saw a post you made which has me thinking.

If someone were getting a 4x8 tent, (and had no spare LED parts), would you recommend someone go with a few 315 CMH/LEC or would you say LED is still the way to go?

sixstring

sixstring

Looking amazing man.

Question for you, I know you're the king and champion of LED here, yet saw a post you made which has me thinking.

If someone were getting a 4x8 tent, (and had no spare LED parts), would you recommend someone go with a few 315 CMH/LEC or would you say LED is still the way to go?
Those new lec are nice but i would still say cob is better .lpw and overall efficiency just cant be matched yet.plus you still have lamp replacement cost with the lec/chm.but in a 4 x 8 theres plenty of room to run both cobz and cmh haha.

Freshone

Freshone

HPS,LEC,Cobs,notice how the price of admission goes up with the electrical efficiency?I know alot of commercial grows started switching to LEC to lower bills and receive energy credits,I'm wondering why they have not adopted the cob tech yet?Is it because there are no commercially available units that are approved for use?

mandalaman

mandalaman

Those new lec are nice but i would still say cob is better .lpw and overall efficiency just cant be matched yet.plus you still have lamp replacement cost with the lec/chm.but in a 4 x 8 theres plenty of room to run both cobz and cmh haha.
So what would be your ideal lighting setup if you were doing a fresh 4x8? Best mix of efficiency/low(ish) cost/performance.

sixstring

sixstring

HPS,LEC,Cobs,notice how the price of admission goes up with the electrical efficiency?I know alot of commercial grows started switching to LEC to lower bills and receive energy credits,I'm wondering why they have not adopted the cob tech yet?Is it because there are no commercially available units that are approved for use?
I think plc is close to getting his certs on his cxp 420 so im guessing once that happens some larger ops may start to incorporate those because they are badass.

So what would be your ideal lighting setup if you were doing a fresh 4x8? Best mix of efficiency/low(ish) cost/performance.
Cob bars and 315w lec.something like a 4 cob bar@ 62w per cob with 2700k cree and the 315 could use the 4000k lamp. so you could set it up like.
4x cob-315w-4x cob-4 xcob-315w-4x cob.would give you around 1600w and fucking killer spectrum.you could probably get away with just 3 of the cob bars and be around 1380w.
Could get fancy and build 2 x cob bars 6 ft long running the length of the tent and drop 3 x 315 down the center of the bars for about 1700w and crush it.but i think 1300 to 1500w of high eff lights will be more than enough lol

Top Bottom