20170715 202105 1
20170716 191541 1
20170716 191611 1

Gg4

sixstring

sixstring

Wow you still don't have the new digs done

What are you doing fucking around on here better get your ass back to work LOL
No im still hanging drywall and have to insulate yet.bro i been a busy mofo with real work,these builders dont let up this year.plus i just took a 120,000.00 job that has to be done by oct 30th or i get fined each day o go over.but its all open and all sandy topsoil so it should go smooth.im bout ready to just hire out the damn drywall except the old lady keeps telling me to do it myself. I guess she's cool with me working 100 hours a week lol.im on the job most times i log in here during daylight.sitting in my truck now watching 2 new guys struggle to push 3/4 loads in the jacksons haha.

Freshone

Freshone

No im still hanging drywall and have to insulate yet.bro i been a busy mofo with real work,these builders dont let up this year.plus i just took a 120,000.00 job that has to be done by oct 30th or i get fined each day o go over.but its all open and all sandy topsoil so it should go smooth.im bout ready to just hire out the damn drywall except the old lady keeps telling me to do it myself. I guess she's cool with me working 100 hours a week lol.im on the job most times i log in here during daylight.sitting in my truck now watching 2 new guys struggle to push 3/4 loads in the jacksons haha.
You need to train those newbs up on concrete that way when its just wheelies of dirt they think its easy,lol.

1816 House

1816 House

Windmill and solar panels next, lol.
Or go Republican and put in a coal furnace steam boiler. :fire:
It's the wave of the future, I'm told.

I can't wait to see that place lit up with those COBS.
I looked over your lights, excellent workmanship, you know a pointy screwdriver from a square one!
I'm gathering materials already for an ugly clone... wire, aluminum stock, etc. Wont be till late summer till I get that done.
The driver is the key to the whole thing, quality power supply is worth every penny.
(No homebrew Bridge Rectifier built on a plywood panel, haha)

Last edited:
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I'm gathering materials already for an ugly clone... wire, aluminum stock, etc. Wont be till late summer till I get that done.
The driver is the key to the whole thing, quality power supply is worth every penny.
(No homebrew Bridge Rectifier built on a plywood panel, haha)

Meanwell drivers are what everyone seems to use for these builds. I used three HLG-320H - C1400B drivers for mine.
I also used 18 gauge solid wire...

1816 House

1816 House

Meanwell drivers are what everyone seems to use for these builds. I used three HLG-320H - C1400B drivers for mine.
I also used 18 gauge solid wire...
I have spools of 16ga THHN, I may just tin the ends but I'll have to look at the mount first.
If not, I have plenty of other wire.
SKU :
HLG-320H-C1400B
Output Voltage (DC) :
114-229V (4-6 X 36V COBs Or ~38-76 X 3V Mono LEDs)
Max Output Current :
1.4A

So, these COBs are being run in series then with VDC being that high, I suppose?
Or the COB's just need a minimal voltage of 36 VDC, and are run in parallel?
Sorry, have't looked at schematics yet.

Last edited:
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

SKU :
HLG-320H-C1400B
Output Voltage (DC) :
114-229V (4-6 X 36V COBs Or ~38-76 X 3V Mono LEDs)
Max Output Current :
1.4A

So, these COBs are being run in series then with VDC being that high, I suppose?
Or the COB's just need a minimal voltage of 36 VDC, and are run in parallel?
Sorry, have't looked at schematics yet.

I ran mine in series, each driver runs six 36v COBs all at 1.4a. you want to try and maximize the total additive voltages of the COBs to get as close to the maximum voltage rating of the drive. so in my case, the forward voltage of each COB was 36.2v and I ran six in series which would be 217.2. The problem with running them in parallel on a constant current driver is if you lose a COB, the extra current then gets split between the remaining COBs which could cause a cascading failure. I would think you would use a constant voltage version (instead of constant current) of the meanwell driver for a parallel configuration.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Ah, gotcha. Higher voltage runs higher current, so they run at optimal wattage.
Thanks, that saved an hour of reading.
The 1816 House

well, the HLG-320H-C1400B will give you a constant current of 1400mA(1.4A) as long as the voltage drops add up to the voltage range. With a voltage range of 114-229V for the driver, you couldn't run just one COB, it won't turn on. you need to hit close to the minimum voltage. That's why is says 4 to 6 36v COBs for this particular driver. Three COBs may work, it would be close (3 x 36.2V = 108.6V)

see what you're doing, you're making me steal all of @sixstring thunder };-)

sixstring

sixstring

Maybe some day I will have something that nice. How long you been farming?
outdoor farming since the summer of 1986,indoor for almost 8 years now
well, the HLG-320H-C1400B will give you a constant current of 1400mA(1.4A) as long as the voltage drops add up to the voltage range. With a voltage range of 114-229V for the driver, you couldn't run just one COB, it won't turn on. you need to hit close to the minimum voltage. That's why is says 4 to 6 36v COBs for this particular driver. Three COBs may work, it would be close (3 x 36.2V = 108.6V)

see what you're doing, you're making me steal all of @sixstring thunder };-)
no thunder bro,i just pass along info i gathered from growmau5 and greengenes.you can always help out steering the new builders man,your doing a great job. @1816 House im also a fan of meanwell drivers,they are the best.16 ga wire is fine for direct solder to cobs.might be a tough squeeze in the ideal colb holders or even the new veros.but i have not tried anything but 18 ga on my vero builds.

Top Bottom