Slow, narrow, woody growth - red/purp stems

• Thread starter Ronnie88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

OP

I am having very similar problems. I would love to see pics to see how similar. I am getting slow growth. I know its partially temp related, but it can't be all temp related. there is certainly a mystery I'm trying to solve with ca and mg ratios. calmag simply is not working. some plants show an obvious mg def and some show an obvious calcium def. some have red stems. nothing is consistent from one plant to the next. my Chemdog sourd x heri and jupiter space kush look flawless if not slightly too heavy on N, while the diesels and the herijuanas are showing signs of def or lockout. I bought an RO filter machine, i use GO cal mag every other feed with my GH floranova bloom base at .8 to 1.4ec. I'm looking for a calcium only supplement but am having trouble finding a good one around town. I have a feeling dropping the cal mag and rather adding some calcium every other feed or so is a better option.

R

Ronnie88

OP

I am having very similar problems. I would love to see pics to see how similar. I am getting slow growth. I know its partially temp related, but it can't be all temp related. there is certainly a mystery I'm trying to solve with ca and mg ratios. calmag simply is not working. some plants show an obvious mg def and some show an obvious calcium def. some have red stems. nothing is consistent from one plant to the next. my Chemdog sourd x heri and jupiter space kush look flawless if not slightly too heavy on N, while the diesels and the herijuanas are showing signs of def or lockout. I bought an RO filter machine, i use GO cal mag every other feed with my GH floranova bloom base at .8 to 1.4ec. I'm looking for a calcium only supplement but am having trouble finding a good one around town. I have a feeling dropping the cal mag and rather adding some calcium every other feed or so is a better option.
I posted pics a few threads up. Some of my plants have too much nitrogen as well.

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

ah yes, now i see. Looks very similar to what my plants have done. Any chance there is a root pathogen or nibbler? I'm sure my issue has a lot to do with temps as cold days they look worse. those cold temps keep the plant from taking up water. Sometimes I have to water the next day, but lately, it takes 2 days before they need water. bizzare. one would think if they needed water 2 days in a row, that would continue, not subside. Its driving me nuts as I have never had so many issues with a grow before. Also, I wonder about my source coco, but it seems like yours should be about the best available. Ill keep you updated on whats happening with me, and I'm subbed here to see how you fix this...

its hard to go feed feed water feed feed water when you are constantly trying to dial shit in. maybe i just need to try to get on this regimen regardless.

W

westy

First let me say this is not genetic or a temp issue.

I have had this happen a few times before in soil. I've done two rounds in coco and it's happened both times.

Plants are growing extremely slow, 12" or so after 2 months from cut. Woody rigid stems with a small diameter, red/purple color to them.

I've flushed the coco multiple times. Charged with calmag. Tried upping potassium. Used citric acid as ph down to make phosphorus more available. Started with 5.8 ph. Tried 5.5 - 6.0.

I know how these are suppose to grow and look. One round I finally got to come around at week 6 veg. This other round is still limping. I thought it was a calmag issue but I've tried many ways to correct it - foliar, flushing, loading and nothing's working.

I know there's a reason for woody, red stems with slow growth. Every thread I read on the internet says its genes or temps are too cold and that it will go away, which is hogwash.

W

westy

To Ronnie88 I had the same problem with my girls in coco,finally got it right by raising PH to 6.3 i know it sounds to high for coco hydro but it worked for me, give it a go mate.

R

Ronnie88

Ya I'm not sure gh coco bricks are the best source for coco.
To Ronnie88 I had the same problem with my girls in coco,finally got it right by raising PH to 6.3 i know it sounds to high for coco hydro but it worked for me, give it a go mate.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. How long till you saw improvement and did you keep it at 6.3 for the rest of the grow?

W

westy

I saw improvement within a few days and have kept it on 6.3 still growing well, am hand watering everyday with fresh nutrients .

Kendo

Kendo

Hmm interesting seamaiden, thank you. I was reading the other day about using alfalfa, steeping it like a tea and mixing with a calcium product will produce a foliar similar to ca-25. Seems like the only way to correct this would be through foliar.
You are going to want to be SUPER careful with that Alfalfa foliar. High in N and triacontanol. Really can burn the SHIT out of your girls, trust me. I reccomend a weak application in the beginning if you choose to use this.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
ESPECIALLY (sorry for yelling, but this was one my early mistakes) if you're in flower, you can really fuck things up if you go too heavy with the alfalfa.

I'm gonna hit up some of the sales reps I have on my FB and ask what Ca-only products are easily available. I still want my BioLink 6% Ca, looks like I'm still gonna have to go to Arbico Organics to get it. PVFS, WTF?

Coir

Coir

Be careful with Biolink Ca. It's made from high calcium limestone and vinegar. It will crash your pH at first from the vinegar but as the limestone builds up in the medium, your pH will rise rapidly. If you are in the PNW Seamaiden, let me know and I can get you some at a great price.
You might want to look into sourcing some Borreplex as a Ca only product.

Funkstarfish

Funkstarfish

ESPECIALLY (sorry for yelling, but this was one my early mistakes) if you're in flower, you can really fuck things up if you go too heavy with the alfalfa.

I'm gonna hit up some of the sales reps I have on my FB and ask what Ca-only products are easily available. I still want my BioLink 6% Ca, looks like I'm still gonna have to go to Arbico Organics to get it. PVFS, WTF?
Will be good to see what you come up with Sea, I too am looking for a new stand alone Calcium...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Be careful with Biolink Ca. It's made from high calcium limestone and vinegar. It will crash your pH at first from the vinegar but as the limestone builds up in the medium, your pH will rise rapidly. If you are in the PNW Seamaiden, let me know and I can get you some at a great price.
You might want to look into sourcing some Borreplex as a Ca only product.
Indeed, it's a strong acid that dissolves that CaCO3. Never had a problem with pH crashing, but then I also mix RO/DI with my tap water to help keep pH stabilized (indoors, outdoors I do no such thing, just mix with straight unfiltered tap & go). I don't understand why I can't source it here in California.

Thanks for that tip!

samino

samino

cutting edge solutions plant amp is a good source of Ca.

He was giving too much Mag, but I notice they will get like that in coco if under feed like Jack said. But you have to consider how much light they are getting, the more the light the more they can handle!

Kendo

Kendo

I am gonna mainly go with a coco/peat organic method of growing but will run some coco pots to get a feel for it.
I can see that the learning curve is not a tuff one,( top feed hydro) but I can also see how a small mistake can cause big problems.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Looks like a case of the duds. Multiple viruses, I bet 10 bucks it spread to all his genetics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom