Small Grow --> A Few Questions

• Thread starter jawnroot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jawnroot

jawnroot

I have a few questions about a small/stealth grow I'm setting up. I've done full sized plants in the past, but really don't like the time, effort, and stress involved in doing a full sized grow.

Below I have a basic outline of my plan. Any feedback you can offer would be great.

Strain
I'm pretty familiar with growing in general, so I suppose the strain is where I have the most questions. Master Low has really caught my eye. The 2-2.5 month turn around and the low height are total deal-sealers. Most of the reports I've read say this is decent stuff, high wise, but there have been a few folks that give it a mediocre or unacceptable rating.

I'm looking for the best high, but realistically have a limited amount of vertical space, and need to wrap this grow up in as short a time start to finish as possible. If you know any strains beyond Master Low that can satisfy these requirements, let me know.

Space
I have a space that is approximately 36" wide, by 30" deep, by 30" tall (7.5 sq/ft floor space).

Lighting
I'm going to use a cool tube (air-cooled), as it has the lowest profile I'm aware of (it eats up the smallest amount of vertical space). 250 watt HPS. So, all told, I should have somewhere in the area of 15" straight vertical space from the lip of the pot to the glass of the cool tube (when container height is factored in). In my experience with 400's and 600's (aircooled) I could get plants to within 6-8" of glass in a pinch. With the 250, I'm thinking somewhere in the area of 3", perhaps closer?

I'll probably throw in a few 6500K CFL's to even out the spectrum, and provide some supplement, but I have yet to determine the details on that.

Method
Total K.I.S.S soil. I've done hydro, I've done organic soil, and have had great results with both, but in the interest of keeping headaches to a minimum, I plan on using Miracle grow soil (probably cut with some large chunk perlite), and whatever bloom ferts the garden center has. With the limited amount of vertical space I have, I'll probably have to resort to a bit of LST toward the end, but hopefully not too much. K.I.S.S.

Containers
Using 2 gallon pots (which are 8.5 inches tall and 9.25 inches wide), I figure that I can jam 6 small plants in there (whether I'll get 6 females from a pack of ten is another story). I plan on starting them in 6x6" square pots until they sex, then up-potting whatever females I get into the 2 gallons to finish.

Ventilation/Odor
At first, I was thinking of running a 4" in-line fan through the cool tube, with a carbon filter. I've heard varying reports that a 6" inline connected to a dimmer and turned down would actually run quieter than a 4" at full tilt. Any tips here?

Regarding carbon filters, attach it to the intake end or the exhaust end? In the past, I've always attached to the exhaust end, for several reasons (primarily so I'm not using too much floor space, and also to deaden the noise and light coming out of the exhaust) but some say this kills flow by up to 4x. I find this hard to believe, as I had a carbon filter on the exhaust end of a 6" Elicent, and the suction was enough to pull the cabinet doors closed, even with plenty of passive intake holes.

Normally, I would run an oscillating fan inside the grow area, but with space at a premium, and a need to keep noise to a bare minimum, I'm going to forgo that step this time around. Realistically, there's going to be approximately 150 cubic feet a minute of air running through a 17.5 cubic foot space (maybe a bit less, maybe a bit more). With the air in the grow area being completely exchanged every 10 seconds, or thereabouts, I don't think I'm going to run into any airflow issues.

~~Ultimate Goals~~

All I'm trying to accomplish with this grow is about an ounce total, which I think is very possible (the more, the merrier, though). I don't smoke much anymore, thus only need a little bit, but absolutely refuse to pay big bucks for stuff that's inferior to what I could grow myself.

Based upon the above outline, any tips/insight/input you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

B

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

I'd change lighting to 250w CMH, less heat, wider spectrum and stronger plants.

P

ProGroWannabe

First off....welcome to the farm!
It sounds like you've put together a good plan. I would only have two concerns if it were my grow. First would be strain choice. You can grow almost any strain you want in that space without restricting yourself to Masterlow. I'm not knocking Masterlow, but just stating that with some LST, you can run anything except large sativas in there. My strain choices would probably be (in no part. order) Mikado--min.42 days flower....AK47 or 48--min 47 days.....Northern Lights--min 45 days...and many more.

The second part that I would definitely consider is feminized seed since your space is so small, and time is so short. What would happen if you ended up with only one or two fems to flower out compared to 10 guaranteed fems? for that small of a space I'd have to consider them. I don't run them personally. But that's just because I like makin seeds and crosses.

Lastly, whatever strain you choose, I'd start LST right away if it were me. I might bend 'em over and make them grow horizontally to utilize my space as efficiently as possible. Otherwise, your gonna run out of headroom really fast once they start to stretch. Again, just my opinion and nothing more.

Let us know what you decide on.

jawnroot

jawnroot

Cali Smoke:
I don't know exactly what CMH is, but I plan to start with MH for the first few weeks, and switch to HPS for the remaining time.

progrow:
I appreciate the input. I just finished reading a 100 page thread over at IC about starting 12/12 right from seed. I kinda had an eyebrow raised about Masterlow. The best reviews of it were "good daytime weed," which, to me, sounds like it's very light and not worth the effort growing.

By contrast, a ton of people at IC were running name brand strains 12/12 from the start, and getting respectable yields of kick ass stuff. Some varieties finished at or around 12," which is right where I need it to be.

I had the AK-47/48 eyeballed, and I think it would be a fantastic strain to investigate. However, it looks like some people were getting 24" Ak's when started at 12/12 immediately, which is really pushing the envelope in terms of what I could reasonable fit in my space. I'm all for a little bit of LST, and will probably have to go that route regardless of what I choose, but I'm not interested in doing extensive training, and/or scrog. K.I.S.S. all the way this time.

After sifting through all the strains grown in the 12/12 thread, I have my eye on a cross of Sensi Star x Chronic. The high is supposed to be bomb, and it looks like it will stay at 12 inches. I'm not sure of what the yeild will be, but if I can pull 7 grams a plant I'd be completely happy. I know offhand chronic is a heavy strain, and I believe SS is as well, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble meeting or exceeding that goal.

Regarding feminized: way back when, I grew some Dutch Passion Oasis fems. Got herms. Since then, I've had a real aversion to fems. I'd rather just buy a pack of standard seeds, and start them in small 6" square pots. Once they sex, I'll pitch the males and put whatever females I have left in 2 gallons treated with spinout to finish. To date, my male to female ratios are pretty good, and I think getting between 3 and 5 females from a 10 pack is not unreasonable to expect.

Thanks again, and am interested to hear any other bits of feedback.

Devilsharvest

Devilsharvest

Welcome to the farm. Aboat your extractor; I always take the next size up. What makes more noise? A car going 50mph or a scooter? A scooter wiil be at full speed, roaring down the street, while the car hardly makes a sound. Just make sure your dimmer has enough amp. incorelation to your your extractor

theres this new stuff, some kinda soy enzime that you can spray on them to stunt there grow.

Good luck

P

ProGroWannabe

Good point Devilsharvest!! I've nerver used it personally, but I've heard really good things about Bushmaster as well for keeping plants low.

T

true blue

i would go with ak 47 or black jack low ryder for easy over 7grs a plant
250w cool bulb,im not really experienced but its a suggestion

good luck

Top Bottom