Small Personal Grow

• Thread starter ganjagreen13
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

Hello Everybody,
I'm pretty new to the Forum, and this will be my first grow diary. I'm open to any tips and advice.
Just two plants for now, different genetics. I'm almost on my fourth week of veg and am holding out to get some better clones until I throw them into flower. Let me know what you think. Please forgive the leaf burn, had some technical difficulties with hanging the lights and while I was off at work they slipped. I'm a little OCD so it gets to me pretty bad, ha.

The stages thus far:

Small personal grow

Small personal grow 2

Small personal grow 3

Small personal grow 4

Hope you all enjoy,
GanjaGreen13

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Id love to share with you. Got any questions in particular? Or any problems your combating?
I'm no pro but I got 2 grow under my belt and on my third. I grew decent weed the first time and the second time I got buds that I consider "dank" "chronic" "sticky" "bom". But it still doesnt really register on my personal preference. But it was pretty good.

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

Id love to share with you. Got any questions in particular? Or any problems your combating?
I'm no pro but I got 2 grow under my belt and on my third. I grew decent weed the first time and the second time I got buds that I consider "dank" "chronic" "sticky" "bom". But it still doesnt really register on my personal preference. But it was pretty good.

Thanks for chiming in! Here's the problem I currently have at hand; I am using CFLs and knowing that they don't have the greatest penetration, I don't want to keep the plant in veg for too long and get too big, not allowing the light to get through to the lower bud sites. BUT... I also need to get some good clones for my next crop being that I have ZERO seeds left. So the problem is, do I toss them into flower and take clones off the flowering plant once they are large enough? Or, do I take clones now, knowing I don't feel they are ready? What do you think? I can take some pics of the lower branches if it will help. Thanks again!

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Thanks for chiming in! Here's the problem I currently have at hand; I am using CFLs and knowing that they don't have the greatest penetration, I don't want to keep the plant in veg for too long and get too big, not allowing the light to get through to the lower bud sites. BUT... I also need to get some good clones for my next crop being that I have ZERO seeds left. So the problem is, do I toss them into flower and take clones off the flowering plant once they are large enough? Or, do I take clones now, knowing I don't feel they are ready? What do you think? I can take some pics of the lower branches if it will help. Thanks again!
...if those pics are accurate you should NOT take any cuts yet so i'd advise you to think about the future and try to be patient, in other words use these plants as mother/clone stock and expect to keep them for years or until they prove themselves unworthy.

also, as a former CFLer myself i agree with you completely regarding light penetration and it was my experience that my results were always better when i flowered many short 'plantlets' rather than try for big 'plants'.

this here is from late in my first year of growing when i was running active hydro aka DWC, ...the lights were all 23 and 26 watt bulbs for approx. 200 watts per fixture and at max capacity i ran 4 fixtures but it got HOT with more than 800 watts of CFLs running all at once.

User52009 pic412284 1277128738

...this is about a half a year later after i'd switched back to dirt, ...i was still learning my chops back then so i was still hunting for a style i could be comfortable with. (note also that in this picture you can see i've added a 150watt HPS, i was moving to a new place and losing that nice closet so i was building a cab, well, that's a whole 'nother story)

User52009 pic23785 1235234191

...and here's a few CFL bud shots from back in the day, ...man i learned a lot with this setup!

User52009 pic5048 1232647680

User52009 pic6959 1232902907

User52009 pic9867 1233295416

have fun, bozo

Last edited:
ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

...if those pics are accurate you should NOT take any cuts yet so i'd advise you to think about the future and try to be patient, in other words use these plants as mother/clone stock and expect to keep them for years or until they prove themselves unworthy.

also, as a former CFLer myself i agree with you completely regarding light penetration and it was my experience that my results were always better when i flowered many short 'plantlets' rather than try for big 'plants'.

this here is from late in my first year of growing when i was running active hydro aka DWC, ...the lights were all 23 and 26 watt bulbs for approx. 200 watts per fixture and at max capacity i ran 4 fixtures but it got HOT with more than 800 watts of CFLs running all at once.

View attachment 375239

...this is about a half a year later after i'd switched back to dirt, ...i was still learning my chops back then so i was still hunting for a style i could be comfortable with. (note also that in this picture you can see i've added a 150watt HPS, i was moving to a new place and losing that nice closet so i was building a cab, well, that's a whole 'nother story)

View attachment 375241

...and here's a few CFL bud shots from back in the day, ...man i learned a lot with this setup!

View attachment 375247

View attachment 375246

View attachment 375248

have fun, bozo

And...... THIS is why I started here at the farm :) Bunch of cool people around ready to offer advice when its needed. Thanks bozo. So you think I should make my current plants into mothers and harvest the clones off of them rather than vice versa? Probably the best way to go after thinking about it. Puts my harvest off though and I'm tossing cash out at low quality medicine every day that goes by before I harvest. Still.. I'm sure in a few months I would be very happy with having steady mothers. Ugh! Hard decision. The latest pictures are two days ago but here is one I just took of the underside of my more productive plant.
IMAG1346

It seems like they are growing a lot slower than my last go at growing. I'm gonna be coming up on a month soon! Does it seem to be behind schedule to you guys?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...do you have any idea what the Kelvin temperature of your bulbs are? ...i suspect they are all 6500Kelvin or 'cool white' which is a good color but it is mostly blue which promotes shorter, bushier growth which is a good thing mostly, but if you swap a few out for bulbs of the same wattage but in a redder spectrum, say 2700Kelvin or 'warm white' your plants will stretch a bit more, don't replace them all or your plants will stretch too much, in veg a 3 to 2 ratio of blue to red light is a good place to be. ...in flower you'll want to reverse that ratio too, and these ratios are approximates, you'll need to tweak things until you get the results you're looking for in your unique situation.

the truth is the color temperature of all your CFL bulbs will be printed somewhere near the base of the bulb and so you need to examine them closely until you find that number, with CFLs you need to know what the ACTUAL wattage is AND you need to know what the spectrum is, this will give you additional control over your environment.

peace, bozo

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

...do you have any idea what the Kelvin temperature of your bulbs are? ...i suspect they are all 6500Kelvin or 'cool white' which is a good color but it is mostly blue which promotes shorter, bushier growth which is a good thing mostly, but if you swap a few out for bulbs of the same wattage but in a redder spectrum, say 2700Kelvin or 'warm white' your plants will stretch a bit more, don't replace them all or your plants will stretch too much, in veg a 3 to 2 ratio of blue to red light is a good place to be. ...in flower you'll want to reverse that ratio too, and these ratios are approximates, you'll need to tweak things until you get the results you're looking for in your unique situation.

the truth is the color temperature of all your CFL bulbs will be printed somewhere near the base of the bulb and so you need to examine them closely until you find that number, with CFLs you need to know what the ACTUAL wattage is AND you need to know what the spectrum is, this will give you additional control over your environment.

peace, bozo

Right now I have a total of 8 bulbs on the ladies, two 6500k 33 watt,2 6500k 23 watt, 2 3500k 23 watt, and 2 2700k 23 watt. Tried to get a nice mixed spectrum when purchasing my Bulbs but have some larger 2700k for when I throw them into flower. What do you think? I did start out with strictly 6500k.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...how's she lookin' now? ...i often take cuts from the lower down branch's that for me only turn into larf anyway and i bring it up in case you still want to preserve the genetics in your collection until she proves herself either a keeper or compost.

after a couple weeks of the early stretch i expect there are at least a few cuts you could take if you'd a mind to. ...with a plant that small it might hurt your yield a bit but imagine how bad you'd feel if it turned out to be the best stuff you'd ever had and you hadn't saved a clone.

...i got a couple new additions running for the first time as we speak, ...i don't like the turn-around time with new seeds but i love the hunt for new keepers.

...then of course there's re-vegging, that might be another option.

peace, bozo

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

...how's she lookin' now? ...i often take cuts from the lower down branch's that for me only turn into larf anyway and i bring it up in case you still want to preserve the genetics in your collection until she proves herself either a keeper or compost.

after a couple weeks of the early stretch i expect there are at least a few cuts you could take if you'd a mind to. ...with a plant that small it might hurt your yield a bit but imagine how bad you'd feel if it turned out to be the best stuff you'd ever had and you hadn't saved a clone.

...i got a couple new additions running for the first time as we speak, ...i don't like the turn-around time with new seeds but i love the hunt for new keepers.

...then of course there's re-vegging, that might be another option.

peace, bozo

She's looking good. I did end up taking a couple cuts from those low branches and tossed em in solo cups with ziplocs over the top. You can see em in the middle picture of my last post. I was thinking the same thing about the yield but I thought the smart thing to do would be to grab some clones. What new strains you running bozo? I'm glad you brought up re-vegging. Is it something you've done and had success with in the past? Does it hurt my yield in any way or is it just the pain of cutting each individual branch off at harvest? I'm thinking for the size of grows I'm doing it might be beneficial to just re-veg after harvest and get another smaller harvest out of it. What do you think bozo?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...i don't know if you've ever studied any of DrBudGreenGenes threads at the mag but he is famous for running small, high-density micro-SOG's in small cabs under nothing but CFLs and all his plants were potted up into 16oz MtDew bottles.

...anyway, to make a long story short, it was in one of his threads where he said he regularly ran a plant through his cycle 3 or 4 times, each time yielding more than the previous run.

...that was a few years ago but it was only recently that i gained the space to give it a serious try and right now i have one of my favorites that has been harvested twice and is currently revegging as we speak, she began showing new, reveg growth less than 3 weeks after being chopped so it appears the good Doctor knew a thing or two, lol.

btw, part of what he espouses and what i've done is to just leave the harvested plant in the same pot and just put it back in the veg room, no root pruning or any sort of preperation at all, with mine i just chopped her down and left some larf at the bottom and stuck her back in the veg tent and like i said, in less than 3 weeks she is showing new growth, ...man i love this plant!

here's a couple shots of her after the first re-veg just before the second flip, note the pics of the stump.

...now here's one near the end of that second harvest although this doesn't do her justice.

DSCN0330

...and now, after the second harvest where you can see the new growth, i can't wait to flower her again and note the stump.

DSCN0352

DSCN0353

DSCN0357

DSCN0358

...so yeah, lol, if you have the space i'd definitely recommend trying to add revegging to your skill set.

peace, bozo

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

...i don't know if you've ever studied any of DrBudGreenGenes threads at the mag but he is famous for running small, high-density micro-SOG's in small cabs under nothing but CFLs and all his plants were potted up into 16oz MtDew bottles.

...anyway, to make a long story short, it was in one of his threads where he said he regularly ran a plant through his cycle 3 or 4 times, each time yielding more than the previous run.

...that was a few years ago but it was only recently that i gained the space to give it a serious try and right now i have one of my favorites that has been harvested twice and is currently revegging as we speak, she began showing new, reveg growth less than 3 weeks after being chopped so it appears the good Doctor knew a thing or two, lol.

btw, part of what he espouses and what i've done is to just leave the harvested plant in the same pot and just put it back in the veg room, no root pruning or any sort of preperation at all, with mine i just chopped her down and left some larf at the bottom and stuck her back in the veg tent and like i said, in less than 3 weeks she is showing new growth, ...man i love this plant!

here's a couple shots of her after the first re-veg just before the second flip, note the pics of the stump.

View attachment 378706
View attachment 378707
View attachment 378708
...now here's one near the end of that second harvest although this doesn't do her justice.

View attachment 378705
...and now, after the second harvest where you can see the new growth, i can't wait to flower her again and note the stump.

View attachment 378710
View attachment 378711
View attachment 378712
View attachment 378713

...so yeah, lol, if you have the space i'd definitely recommend trying to add revegging to your skill set.

peace, bozo

I get stoked to see a reply from you now bozo. You're extremely informative and helpful man, I appreciate it. From the look of those ladies it looks like I will without a doubt be trying my hand at revegging. I thought that if I was to re-veg, growth would come from all the previous branches, rather than creating a new stump. So then I would chop just as I normally would and toss that stump back in the light? How long did it take from getting the new growth until you actually harvested again? Did you keep watering it as normal after the chop? Did you really get a larger harvest then your first go around? Did you do a diary of this so I don't have to ask all these questions? haha

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

how do u reveg?
Captain,
Re-vegging is the process of putting the plant back into the vegetative state after harvesting in order to get new growth and then flowering the plant again and harvesting as usual. The Cannabis plant has always been known as an Annual plant (meaning it germinates, flowers, and dies in one season) but a lot of people are having great success with getting multiple harvests out of a single plant using this method. Hope this helps Captain.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

Captain,
Re-vegging is the process of putting the plant back into the vegetative state after harvesting in order to get new growth and then flowering the plant again and harvesting as usual. The Cannabis plant has always been known as an Annual plant (meaning it germinates, flowers, and dies in one season) but a lot of people are having great success with getting multiple harvests out of a single plant using this method. Hope this helps Captain.
...in a sense it is also not a true annual as it can be kept in the vegetative state indefinitely so long as you give it more than 14 hours of light per day.

...revegging isn't all that difficult but it should be noted that some strains will reveg with ease and some will almost never take so you can't trust your future gene pool to revegging, my growbro has lost more than a few flavors by not having backup clones when the reveg didn't take.

...it's also important to be sure and leave some lower branch's so there are still some leaves and such to 'power' the plant, as it were, if it's gonna reveg there has to be some vegetation left for it to have a chance.

...kinda like this.

DSCN0172

DSCN0173

DSCN0181

...and yeah, it does look like it yields more the second time around, i've only run one like this so far so mostly i'm going on what the good Doctor Bud GreenGenes says but based on this one experience i've gone ahead and committed to a larger test with 5 revegged plants running in my current cycle.

...actually, these are the very same plants as pictured above but successfully revegged and are now 2 weeks into their second flowering.

DSCN0350

DSCN0351

DSCN0349

...anyway, it's pretty cool watching them come back to life.

peace, bozo

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

Ladies and Gentleman,
Today is the day, we're at less than 1 week into flower and both plants have shown sex. The results are finally in.....(drum roll please) Two plants, and TWO females!! Today is a good day. My clones have taken root and are doing very good as well. Here are the little whores, let me know what you think guys!
IMAG1447
IMAG1453
IMAG1442

C.G Green

ganjagreen13

ganjagreen13

Why did you flower so early?

I'm using CFLs and they just don't have very good penetration, so I end up with a bunch of small buds on the bottom if I let them veg for too long. I also have limited height space so I have to do the best with what I've got. If I keep them smaller the energy is focused on my top colas rather than the bottom which isn't getting enough light anyways.

Top Bottom