"Smart" electricity meters can ID your lights

• Thread starter Herbiraptor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Herbiraptor

Data mining techniques could determine the types of appliances that are used within the home because different devices have identifying power signatures.
http://www.smartmeters.com/the-news/688-experts-say-smart-grids-a-privacy-concern.html

Utilities' smart meters save money, but erode privacy

By Andrew Maykuth

Philadelphia Inquirer Staff Writer

The meters could record material so frequently that power flows could be interpreted like DNA to reveal unique electrical signatures of individual appliances. Some experts imagine an Orwellian future in a carbon-constrained world, where consumers are cited for excessive electricity use, or divorce lawyers comb through meter records and ask: Who used the hot tub while the spouse was away?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/busi...art_meters_save_money__but_erode_privacy.html

One of the more interesting items that I saw on my morning trawl round the wires was a case where monitoring of energy usage is used to gather evidence against suspected marijuana growers. (How is it that marijuana growers keep popping up in my 'analog' blog I ask myself?) It seems that not only have such growers adopted all manner of high tech paraphernalia themselves; but US and Canadian law enforcement agencies have resorted to some sneaky, technology-centric methods of catching them.

The case in question involved growers in Alberta, Canada who were caught by police using a digital ammeter to glean evidence about the amount of electricity within their home. Though the data did indeed identify a 300+ plant operation, the judge dismissed the ammeter as a source of evidence for reasons of invasion of privacy – the police hadn't obtained the necessary search warrant to use it. Ammeters have apparently proven very successful at highlighting suspect electricity consumption patterns and therefore pinpointing grower operations. Placed on a power box off the property, they don't involve trespass, but used without the appropriate warrants, the data gathered is deemed a violation of the homeowner's privacy.
http://www.analog-europe.com/blogs/219401485

Responses for “Smart meters raise privacy concerns”

markadamsjdmba says:
November 9, 2009 at 8:42 am

Irene, you are right on point here. I was informed by a power company employee that the new meters give the power company much more information about usage than the old meters do and that the FBI and DEA come to speak to the power company’s employees on a regular basis to tell them what to look for and report.

He said that an increase in electric usage resulting from installing a hot tub or pool would definitely be reported to the Feds and investigated. After all, if you use more energy, you might be a terrorist or drug dealer and you are certainly contributing to global warming…

Data mining techniques could determine the types of appliances that are used within the home because different devices have identifying power signatures.
http://www.smartmeters.com/the-news/688-experts-say-smart-grids-a-privacy-concern.html

P

PureSugar

Sounds like we're gonna need firewalls for our electric service and appliances with PGP and some sort of power signature masking device if we want any privacy...oh wait we don't have any privacy now anyway. :no

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

do ya realy think people spend time reading what type of appliances I use..lol..Pay ya bill..and dont worry..thats my moto

Z

zipflip

but are they talkin being able to identify larger grows or even the average closet grower , say runnin one or maybe a coupel HPS 400-600 watters.

C

CAPO

Yes ..there are definite ways to filter your appliance signature.
We used to use a thing called a power conditioner.
Let me see what I can dig up.
I've got a couple of master electricians and engineers in my family.

H

Herbiraptor

Capo, thanks man. Looking forward to that info - it can save a lot of folks.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

I guess I'm glad I'm in a legal state. Do like your Dr. recommends and the feds wont give a rats ass. For the big grows i'd say rent an industrial shop/wharehouse where high power bills can be expected. People come and go just like normal business ect. ect. You'd be suprised at how cheap you can find a place. Most owners of commerical properties wont ever come around or bug u if u pay rent on time. Still a bit scary to think about how much the man can dig up on you if they try hard enough.

P

PureSugar

Yes ..there are definite ways to filter your appliance signature.
We used to use a thing called a power conditioner.
Let me see what I can dig up.
I've got a couple of master electricians and engineers in my family.

Power conditioners are usually a bunch of capacitors connected in parallel to smooth out power fluctuations from the main power source. Add in some some noise filters and snubbers and I think it would be pretty tough to read the signature of an "appliance" sitting behind something like that.

Illmind

Illmind

ya power conditioners just mainttain as steady as flow as possible but are annoying everytime voltage spike fix it makes clicking noise. dont get this shit on twist they speaking of johhny law using a multimeter on your service is illegal. in fact touching anything belonging to electrical comp by anyone but an employee is illegal. suprised they knew how to properly do that. poor rookie prolly shit emself.

hubcap

hubcap

ummm...
i may be off base.
and please correct me if im wrong....

but in order to get one of these "monitors" on your "power meter" doesnt one hafta "agree" to such a move first?

"sure officer. im going to grow. want me to set up a cam so you and your boys can watch to know when im about to harvest?"

sounds about the same to me.

am i off base here?

-cap

*edit.......*
what would a bunch of caps arranged in series actually do other than discharge "noise?"

will this set up really hide a high load "appliance"????

L

Lost

Cap - No, if you read the article, it is placed in a power box off property. You would have no idea they have done it..

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

mrdrizzle,

What is a flip flop?

I'll field this one dizzle,

A flip-flop is a device that allows you to run 2 rooms with 1 set of ballasts on opposite 12/12 cycles. So when room A goes dark room B gets light, the ballast run 24hrs leaving no daily spike in electrical consumption...

C

CAPO

oh ya....spikes...obvious clue to look for..
makes a lot more sense that spikes would give you away before anything else.

Guess staying off the radar is anyone's best choice.

Sweeps of electrical use seams far fetched for non-med states and places of the like.

C

CAPO

Pretty sure smart meters are gonna replace all meters as well as some other upgrades to the grid, to make it more effecient.
We just gotta keep that shit in check to make sure it doesn't become a big brothers hand on our shoulders. Get Medical bud legal and get respect for our grows.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Sweeps of electrical use seems far fetched for non-med states and places of the like.

Sadly, not as far-fetched as we might think. When has overwhelming expenditure for underwhelming results EVER stopped the govt from doing something? Cover yer butt!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom