• Thread starter Herbiraptor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
people get casught nowadays because they ARE stealing electricty

one added bonus of the smart meter for the good ole "we say so" electric companies is that it makes it easier for them to pinpoint where "leaking" (stolen) juice is going

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Calm down dear!

Of course i dont mean to offened or have the forum shut down.
You are not getting it.

Just giving tried and tested advice that works to this day.
You're not getting it, apparently. Right now the stink coming off of you smells just like law enforcement. :)

Illmind

Illmind

Lol dude is either a cop or a perped out newb. Lemme tell you something about electric companies ike. They love when your bill is high, more money for them, and if you pay it accordingly they never really red flag you. There's sooo many businesses and places that use ridiculous amounts of electricity I'm talking 5K$ a month. So when you get a 400$-600$ a month bill it's really nothing. It's not like they got people scanning peoples bills to try to find growers. If u think someone is growing and u need probable cause, you just might go try to check their bill. However u need a warrant for that info and u know that being a pig. And even after that it's still not enough to break out a warrant for search and seizure, but the DA might let you piss away a few days trying to find some probable if you're lucky. Stupid thread, oh and motherlode is right most people that get jammed get it by way of electric stealing. All u have to do is follow the out of place wire and guess where that leads you? Also stealing electricty is all they need to invade because it's a crime. Yeah, it ups the residuals until you end up in jail and everything gets siezed genius. Btw I know people that have super high electric bills and don't grow, they just have big houses. It's not really a give away douche. <--I mean offense by that ;)

D

doogle

people get casught nowadays because they ARE stealing electricty

one added bonus of the smart meter for the good ole "we say so" electric companies is that it makes it easier for them to pinpoint where "leaking" (stolen) juice is going

you get to the juice before it goes to the meter.Brains

D

doogle

this is the worst advice i have ever heard. if you cant afford electric your doing it wrong. if your on the radar your doing it wrong.

IF YOU STEAL POWER YOU DOING IT WRONG, ADDING A FELONY, AND BEING A FUCKING RETARD

just pay for your lights. my APARTMENT has 100 amp service. you do not need more than that.

doesnt matter if YOU HAVE been stealing power for years, that is horrible advice. it may have worked for you but for 99.9% of people your are setting them up to get busted with that advice.

will not pay if i dont have to anyway it will cost waaaaaaay too much.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
you get to the juice before it goes to the meter.Brains

really? no shit?

your the only fool here pal

guess you have no idea what a smart grid means

dont matter since you wont be here at the farm long anyhow

Illmind

Illmind

Honestly the smart way to save electricity is to get your meter updated, after awhile the old ones get saturated and the power factor drops. I know in some places they will replace it for free because not only do you save yourself money u save them power and money. Next you can change out all non efficient lighting in house to cfls of low wattage. And then make sure you buy quality ballasts that also stay with high power factors, the cheaply made magnetics waste a lot of power because of the cheap components used to make em. And that should save you a little every month which in time will add up. Even though I think you are a douche I still think you should consider another option, stealing power is not smart, neighbors see that shit and they like fuck that I ain't paying extra for my power for this shithead. And that's usually what begets investigation. L8

L

LightDep530

Hell with stealing. I get around 1 oz/ square ft of nice light green crystally buds WITHOUT lights in a greenhouse . Floros for veg. Cali dispensaries think its indoor. Why steal electricity? What indoor room is capable of 20 elbows every 70 days?

K

kinzla34

you are absolutely correct that they are being installed as a way to eliminate the need to come out and read the meter, shut off the service from the main office, under Cap and Trade they will have a base line allowance for both summer and winter rates then if (when) you go over them the percentage of kw/hr increases will be between 130 and 200% ....all in the interest of 'going green', reducing our carbon footprint, etc...also they peak hours will be another shifting sand. This is where if your demand goes up between 9-5 for example you cut into the baseline faster.

My point is these are very intelligent meters and they report back to the utility wirelessly through ZIGBY. There have been wireless problems associated with those meters. SOOO

check out the link where MARIN county just made them illegal. And lower those HID lighting loadshttp:///news.slashdot.org/story/11/01/07/192201/California-County-Bans-SmartMeter-Installations

K

kinzla34

I agree with everything you said EXCEPT the power factor on an analog meter. Meters draw an induction load so insignificant that the measured current it's recognizing, if anything is less then the actual power being consumed.

There is no reason that I can think of to give up our non-invasive analog meters to this new technology. Oh and did you know that a low-high atmosphere EMP knocks these meters out anyway. That never happened with an analog meter.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
kinzla, I have a link for you, need a minute. I've been watching this PG&Evil Smart Meter shit since they installed one on our home and our bills started going up. But, here's the thing that's really chapping my ass--why do our neighbors always pay a fraction of what we pay for power? Ever since we moved into this house our bills have been several hundred/month, no bill has ever been lower than $230. We've lived here since '05 and I started up the indoor room in '08, so there was a three year lag between moving in and the indoor growing. Of course our power costs have gone up with the growing, but from the get-go our bills are usually double at least what our neighbor across the street pays. Chaps my ass, I tell you what!

I started a thread last year about the Smart Meters here:

You couldnt be any further from the truth you fool.
This is amusing, you coming on here and saying that you have all this experience, goin' around shooting your mouth off the way you are belies the truth. No old-timer who's worth half a hard turd is going to run his mouth off the way you've been.

You stink exactly like law enforcement to me now, keep objecting and telling us how very wrong we are for believing that stealing is wrong.

And while you're at it, you go on ahead and take me for a fool, you go right on ahead now and see where that gets ya.

:harvest:

K

kinzla34

Thanks for that previous thread. I see you have had concerns from the start and IMO they're justified. I'm also familiar with the Standford students in Palo Alto and that case of increase in their utility bills after the new meters were installed. Since I'm in the power generation business it held particular interest since I have clients that have reacted to the new bills and would like to consider whether they could reduce their utility bills with peak shaving.

My company sells backup power generating systems. We specify, design, engineer and install these systems for high end residential to large commercial/industrial clients in North America. Fuels for our systems will be diesel, nat gas, propane or methane which when compared to the wattage and fuel price/consumption per hour may make it cheaper to run the generator then buy utility power during certain times of year or times of day. This is referred to as peak shaving.

California has strict air pollution laws that prohibit the number of hours you can run a generator in non-emergency conditions to under 8 hours a year. in an emergency there is no restriction as long as the engine is EPA - APCD compliant. So you don't see peak shaving in CA but it's used in Mexico and South America since the utility rates, service reliability and absent emissions laws, off grid solutions attractive.

That being said for the USA when coupled with wind and solar systems and the ABSOLUTE likelihood that there will be large scale electrical interruptions as the aging infrastructure and the need for increased rates (remember ENRON mark to market) will spawn a cry for 'I want my power back on'! What better way for a utility to 'manage' a quasi-governmental agency (PUC) then to show these increased costs as a need to justify baseline rate increases as well as exotic rate structures that eke out every last $ the public can bear.

I really feel bad for those on fixed incomes. You can elect to not drive when gas prices go up but food and power with a roof over your head are pretty much a must to an aging population.

Now the utilities will go to the PUC and show need to raise rates because there is more solar/wind/geothermal... and the infrastructure has to be improved as the population grows and they cannot lose money. period. They must make money for their shareholders. So in some respects the very energy savings programs that reduce the utilities mw/hr income must be reset with these different rate structures. Your bills are already evidence of that.

The only way for the average income person to cut this bill down will be by taking advantage of first reducing loads wherever possible. For lighting that may mean EFDL systems that don't require relamping and maintain 90% lumen output for 70,000 hrs. check out this link to learn morehttp://inda-gro.com Plants do quite nicely under these and the energy savings should be factored as not only a savings in operational costs but when sizing any off grid supplemental system such as solar, generator or relatively affordable VAWT.

Vertical Axis Wind Turbines are also an affordable way to put 2-5K watts back in your property. They are much smaller in scale and are omnidirectional which means that the wind can be coming at the blades from any direction and at speeds as slow as 3 MPH. They also can be installed on top of existing structures. The market is going to grow for these and we see ourselves incorporating VAWT as an option to our off-grid and supplemental grid products and services.

Now the Stanford students had a situation where when their rates went up after the new meter had been installed. They simply shot off the main and the next month the bill was even higher. The reason for that is the ZIGBY wireless signal was being confused with the neighboring meter. This does happen on occasion and it resulted in a recall of 30,000 meters. I liked this method because it was cheaper then having a private metering service done.

Without having the utility walk through your property and do a load audit the next best thing to do is hire a private company that can do a submeter of the utilities meter. We use systems mfg by EMON that give historical, real time, and snapshots of the actual energy consumption that we can provide the utility to advance a case of incorrect billing. More often then not it's a case of proving to our customer that the utility is correct but we have seen occasions where our data did not reconcile with the utility metering and the meter was replaced. These are not cheap solutions and for most people will not be practical.

If I have to spend any money on electrical it's going to be getting less connected load, daylight harvesting and supplemental power generation.

L

LightDep530

I just wanna say from what I've seen from Seamaiden she is damn sharp. Pretty rare in this world.
The first 6 months I lived in my place I never had a bill over $100. They installed that smart meter and it doubled. And they bastards still wanna come through my gate to read it because it doesnt work yet. The old meter reader said he was retiring to live in Montana, a couple weeks later my garden got robbed and now we have a new meter reader.
They send the damn tree guys out like 4 times a year too! No wonder our bills are high.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I need to know more, kinzla. What kind of investment are we talking for these vertical axis turbines? I know we're looking at around $20K for an initial investment if we were to go with solar somewhere in the 2-4K generating range, and I honestly can't remember if that included the inverter and battery bank.

I have more questions, but am in a time crunch, we've got us some shopping to do and have to head out of the hills (I'm located somewhere south of LightDep, in the 209 area code). I hope Advanced Garden Supply is still open, stuff's changing all the time.

Oh yeah, we live in an area that PG&Evil says is "low priority". That means that when power goes out, we're a lower priority than, say, Sacramento down in the valley. That means that we use our own generator quite often, and always make sure to have gas on hand for when, not if, the power goes out.

Top Bottom