Smart Pot.. Aeration Container

• Thread starter biggun4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

biggun4me

Has anyone used these before? I just transferred 10 plants into these 5 gallon containers... For what I have read they seem like they will eliminate some problems before they start.. ie.. Root Circling and root zone temps... For a new grower like me the less to worry about the better... What do you all think of these? Peace...

Smart pots 002jpg
Smart pots 005jpg
G

goleboy

Sickest containers ever...you won't be disappointed. Happy harvest. P.s. Get use to the feel of the container when it's dry...I had a friend who constantly over watered with these pots because the top 2/3 of soil was dry but bottom soaked.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Great purchase! I recently switched to these pots and the girls are loving them.

G

genisis

I used them in my last dirt grow - really impressed. Would never go back.

B

biggun4me

thanks guy's I glad I did something smart..... Peace

C

CHILKaT

They are pretty awesome, would never go back to plastic. I purchased a roll of the material so now I make my own, much cheaper and I can make any size I want. Right now I make square 7g to fit milk crates. I think I'm going to try to make 20g with a wood frame and casters to grow some indoor trees!:party0042:

STP62142
B

biggun4me

They are pretty awesome, would never go back to plastic. I purchased a roll of the material so now I make my own, much cheaper and I can make any size I want. Right now I make square 7g to fit milk crates. I think I'm going to try to make 20g with a wood frame and casters to grow some indoor trees!:party0042:

Dude that's an awesome idea.. the ones i bought will be the last... Peace:rasta:

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I am currently doing a side by side of 5g smart pots vs 5g homer buckets. gonna give em same conditions and split up the strains so it is half and half. SO far they both look about the same at about week 7 of veg. I cant wait to flip em and see if these things are worth the hype.

P

peter tosh

im using the 2 gallons and my plants seem happy. cant really say im blown away or anything.

A

antimatter

They dry out to fast and after harvest there in pretty rough shape and I have to use a shovel to break the roots off the sides haven't actually bothered to reuse the used ones because of it, but they do create a perfect rootball but Ive never done a side by side so I have no idea if you get a 5-15% improvement or whatever improvement is claimed.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Used them this summer

Love them, its important to match the plant to the container size. If the plant never reaches the side you are wasting your time. All outdoor pictures in my gallery are in smart pots(Humboltlocal uses them)

mal

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I am currently doing a side by side of 5g smart pots vs 5g homer buckets. gonna give em same conditions and split up the strains so it is half and half. SO far they both look about the same at about week 7 of veg. I cant wait to flip em and see if these things are worth the hype.

Here is what you will notice when harvest comes...The plants in the smart pots will have nicer, harder bigger nugs than the Homer Buckets will.
The reason why is the circling of the roots in the Homer Buckets. In Smart Pots the roots do not circle but grow to the side of the pot and "air prune" this causes more roots to grow out towards the sides of the pot. This leaves the roots to eat up more soil.
When you take the soil out of the SP you will see that the whole soil is taken by roots.
In the HB you will notice there is still loose dirt that was not eaten by the roots.
When the soil gets eatin by the roots it means the plants have done better.

And yes making them is much easier and a hell of a lot cheaper. I used to make my own but I am lazy so buying is easier for me now.
If you are making your own, I suggest you take one of your old ones and take it apart for a pattern to follow, this makes it easier to make them.
Another thing, Marijuana grows better if the container is short and wide. The roots tend to grow out towards the sides and if you give them lots of side space, they will do better than a taller narrow pot.
Check out Humbolts thread and see his SP's are super short and wide like a kiddie pool.
I will always use SP's over plastic containers. Another benefit is it is easier to fight fungus gnats when using SP's due to not having the holes in the bottom of the pot.

A

antimatter

Here is what you will notice when harvest comes...The plants in the smart pots will have nicer, harder bigger nugs than the Homer Buckets will.
The reason why is the circling of the roots in the Homer Buckets. In Smart Pots the roots do not circle but grow to the side of the pot and "air prune" this causes more roots to grow out towards the sides of the pot. This leaves the roots to eat up more soil.
When you take the soil out of the SP you will see that the whole soil is taken by roots.
In the HB you will notice there is still loose dirt that was not eaten by the roots.
When the soil gets eatin by the roots it means the plants have done better.

And yes making them is much easier and a hell of a lot cheaper. I used to make my own but I am lazy so buying is easier for me now.
If you are making your own, I suggest you take one of your old ones and take it apart for a pattern to follow, this makes it easier to make them.
Another thing, Marijuana grows better if the container is short and wide. The roots tend to grow out towards the sides and if you give them lots of side space, they will do better than a taller narrow pot.
Check out Humbolts thread and see his SP's are super short and wide like a kiddie pool.
I will always use SP's over plastic containers. Another benefit is it is easier to fight fungus gnats when using SP's due to not having the holes in the bottom of the pot.

Nuggets are not harder and bigger in the smartpots don't make things up.

genepool

genepool

What is the name of the material & was it easy to find? Any info would be much appreciated thanks.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Nuggets are not harder and bigger in the smartpots don't make things up.

They did for me and many people I know that use them. They allow proper airation.
All you need for proof is at the end of harvest take the plants out of the pots and look at the roots. Compare them to how much Loose soil is left.
If there are 2 plants side by side, using the same number pot. You will see the SP will harvest more.
You must know how to water a plant when using containers.
Have you ever noticed the circling in the Plastic pots? Have you ever noticed them in Smart Pots? I think not.

What I have noticed using SP's is my plants grow wider and not taller and lankier like they do in plastic containers.

I guess it all boils down to what works best for you. And Smart Pots work best for me.

The material is the stuff they sell in the garden center at Lowes or home depot. It is the weed blocker stuff they use for flower beds to block weeds from coming thru.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think that landscaping/weedblocker fabric is different. For one thing, it tears very easily, SP fabric does not. For another, SP fabric appears to have long fibers woven or running through it (it looks like a type of felted fabric), whereas the landscaping/weeblocking fabric actually resembles paper its fibers are so short.

I've tried doing something like a SmartPot with the readily available landscaping fabric, but the stuff tears so easily, you may as well be sewing paper.

J

JAHGYDI

ive always used 5 gal nusery pots and switch to number 7 smart pots. growing the same strain my plants are much more bushier and the main stem is twice as big than ever before. also watering twice as much. i just switched all my house plants out this weekend too.

Top Bottom