So I got Hermies... :-(

• Thread starter Marcus47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Marcus47

My first grow... two plants indoors... resulted in hermies. I'm pretty sure this was due to heat stress. (No airconditioning, and the hottest summer ever, with tent temps of over 100F.)

Anyway, two questions:

1) Will the seed be viable?

2) How did this affect the harvest? I'm guessing the buds are smaller than they should have been, but just as potent. True?

sky high

sky high

Was this bagseed to begiin with? If so....forget growing any of these and buy some real seed from logic for your next grow...

If they were seeds you bought/know well/have grown before....

1. Since you really don't know what caused it, I think you'd be asking for trouble to grow any of the seeds out as the herms you ended up with could just as easily be genetic related as stress-related.

The ONLY way I would chance growing them out is if I had grown this strain time and time again and never saw a hermie until now. Then I would feel fairly sure that the heat stress WAS the culprit... and chances would be good in that instance, IMO, that the resulting seeds would be females if grown under proper conditions.

2. My guess is the weight suffered a lot...and the taste may be off/the smoke may end up harsher than normal. Potency may suffer as well.....but if it is good weed...probably not enough to ruin the high.

good luck in the future

s h

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

I highly doubt it was heat stress, I dont remember a summer where my temps were under a 100F, 110F is maybe more like it, incredibly common in hotter areas too kinda just keep a blind eye to temps. Ill bet it was bagseed....or sorry some seeds from "really good mids". Seeds dont really jack the weight taste or potency too much ither, depending when the flowers started dropping pollen. My bet was you were off somewhere else in the basic requirements for the room, or used shitty seeds. The best rooms are still at bay too the smallest of inefficiencies. Get some new seeds ask around for cuts, put those fuckers in dirt, and get this show back on the road amigo!

Experience comes from acknowledged mistakes, the more mistakes you make and acknowledge, the more experience you gain!!!!!!!

M

Marcus47

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I assumed that it was the high temps that caused the hermies because my reference book warns about heat stress. But you've now got me suspecting the seeds instead.

They weren't bagseed... I paid $80 for 10 of them (feminized). (Hmmm... Maybe it was the feminization process?) They were from an online seed bank, but they were a new strain... (Maybe not genetically stable yet?) Whatever the cause, I'll have more data soon... My friends have three of these planted outdoors and they'll be ready soon... If they are hermies, it is definitely the seed. If not - it is something I did.

(I don't want to reveal the seedbank or the strain here, as I don't want to bad-mouth a supplier/product without proper proof.)

I'm just glad to know the hermies dont' necessarily result in a poor quality herb.

Thanks again... and I'll report any new findings.

(I'm shutting things down for the winter, but I'll require new seeds in early 2012. I'd rather not make the same mistake again, so can you suggest some good indoor strains, and a reputable seedbank located in Canada?)

Thx

reeldrag

reeldrag

fem seeds are becoming more popular and as a result they are having to crank them out much faster and not work the strain i would almost bet it was the way they were fem'd this is becoming more of a problem with some of the shader seed banks sorry homiee I wouldnt mess with them

ArtofHydro

ArtofHydro

Im in southern cali and heat is killing me right now. deffinatley heat stress going on in my flowering room. I just moved my op and dont have the finances to get the a/c i need. one of my plants hermied out a bit, but its weird because only a few buds really seeded out. my tops still look great... knock on wood. so in my conclusion, heat stress will bring out the hermies on you. best of luck to you

Top Bottom