So overwhelmed, I need a mentor! :)

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

All I can say is WOW! No wonder I could never get a good grow in the past. There is so much more than planting a seed and watching it grow. 🤣

I am getting ready for my first grow and going a better route. I made a small investment in the tools. Purchased some seeds. On my next day off I am heading to ACE to get some soil, pots and nutrients (provided they carry what I have been reading are good).

Unlike other things I buy tools for and jump in... mistakes here are time consuming. An entire grow period can be wasted on lack of knowledge. Where I am not expecting a professional grade grow, I am realistic, I would like to have a successful 1st grow. For example.... I purchased seeds with higher THC levels fully expecting to get less until I get more experienced. I have a very high tolerance as I am a daily smoker so I hope that I can at least grow a crop that will have some affect on me.

Where I am getting confused is there are so many different responses to a situation. It can be hard to find an answer at times. The whole chemical thing still has me baffled. LOL.

If anyone here would be willing to help me I can trade services. I am a semi retired graphic designer including photo and video editing. I also program in PHP and more recently, 3D animation and modeling.

I am starting with 3 seeds (if they all sprout lol I have 2 extra in case) Different strains all with very similar climates and grow periods. I hope that nutrients will also be similar, this area is my most problematic. I have also seen nutrients that will boost the flavor. ( I wanna say also add flavor? if I read correctly).

My goals are:

A fair yield​
Decent THC level​
Not have to rely on someone else to get my supply.​
Most important - Does not taste homegrown!!! 🤢
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help 👍

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
You'll get lots of help here. You're right about there being many different responses to a situation. It can be confusing, for sure. There are many successful growing methods, but they don't necessarily mix well. Choosing one and following it carefully will help guide you on your journey from seed to smoke.

Before you go to the local hardware store, I recommend discussing equipment, soil and nutrients. There's much to consider.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I'm sure there are a few soil growers willing to help out before then let's get some more info like how/what are the best ways for you to grow?

Location: Inside with lights or out in the sun? If outside last frost date and hours of light a day? Normal weather Sept/Oct?

Ground/garden, or pots of soil, already fertilized soil, coconut coir with water soluble nutrients or hydro?

Once we get this figured out it will alleviate a lot of future problems so they don't happen and you're grow has a better chance of succeeding.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I'm sure there are a few soil growers willing to help out before then let's get some more info like how/what are the best ways for you to grow?

Location: Inside with lights or out in the sun? If outside last frost date and hours of light a day? Normal weather Sept/Oct?

Ground/garden, or pots of soil, already fertilized soil, coconut coir with water soluble nutrients or hydro?

Once we get this figured out it will alleviate a lot of future problems so they don't happen and you're grow has a better chance of succeeding.
Well said. I'll add that soil growers have different methods.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Are you planning on growing out doors? If so when is your springtime planting season? You will need to plant according to the season where you are.
If you are planting indoors. A small grow space and a light will be necessary. You can buy a tent or have a small closet grow space under a light. I closet grow under an old Mars 300 light and a timer. Super simple. It just depends on what your want.

Indoors: I grow 1 small plants in 6" nursery pot at a time.
Often I do Cannabonzai.

Rather than using pre loaded potting mixes and grow shop fertilizers.
I use a 50/50 mix of Peat moss and Vermiculite. With a couple of simple amendments.
Then any hardware store liquid fertilizer can be calculated and applied to the medium. This should be considered a hydroponic chemical fertilizer grow in inert medium.

If this sounds like something you would be interested in or you have any questions. Please PM me maybe I can help you.

Last edited:
Docgrows

Docgrows

All I can say is WOW! No wonder I could never get a good grow in the past. There is so much more than planting a seed and watching it grow. 🤣

I am getting ready for my first grow and going a better route. I made a small investment in the tools. Purchased some seeds. On my next day off I am heading to ACE to get some soil, pots and nutrients (provided they carry what I have been reading are good).

Unlike other things I buy tools for and jump in... mistakes here are time consuming. An entire grow period can be wasted on lack of knowledge. Where I am not expecting a professional grade grow, I am realistic, I would like to have a successful 1st grow. For example.... I purchased seeds with higher THC levels fully expecting to get less until I get more experienced. I have a very high tolerance as I am a daily smoker so I hope that I can at least grow a crop that will have some affect on me.

Where I am getting confused is there are so many different responses to a situation. It can be hard to find an answer at times. The whole chemical thing still has me baffled. LOL.

If anyone here would be willing to help me I can trade services. I am a semi retired graphic designer including photo and video editing. I also program in PHP and more recently, 3D animation and modeling.

I am starting with 3 seeds (if they all sprout lol I have 2 extra in case) Different strains all with very similar climates and grow periods. I hope that nutrients will also be similar, this area is my most problematic. I have also seen nutrients that will boost the flavor. ( I wanna say also add flavor? if I read correctly).

My goals are:

A fair yield​
Decent THC level​
Not have to rely on someone else to get my supply.​
Most important - Does not taste homegrown!!! 🤢
Welcome to the wonderful frustrating but rediculously satisfying world of growing! Can you tell us about what equipment you have bought, what type of ph meter, light, environment, etc? The more info about your grow, the more accurate help you will get! I will help all I can, Im no expert but I have several years experience and have had about everything for fungus knats to broad mites and have been able to save the grows that had problems and salvage lots of time, work and money along the way. When do you plan on starting, I will follow along and lend a hand if I can! Good luck, happy growing! Here is my current grow, Pancakes and E85.

IMG 4899
IMG 4898
IMG 4901
IMG 4887
IMG 4865
P

Phyto

Lots of help available, but first, you need to tell us where you're planning on growing (indoors or outdoors). What equipment/supplies do you have? I suggest for a first timer a soil grow with photoperiod plants. Nutes are your choice, organic or synthetic, each has plusses and minuses. Really the only thing you need is good soil, cannabis specific nutrients (NPK and micronutrients) decent lighting (indoors) and a good watering regime. Don't fall victim to hype, there are tons of add-on nutrients, that for the most part have neglible effect and are designed to drain your wallet. Keep it simply until you get the basics down.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

Thanks all... So many to respond to...

Ok, here is the rundown.....

3x3 MarsHydro with the FC3000 light and the add-on lights, IR, UV and RB.
20240514 083431

No PH meter, I read they are not necessary. One person is using theirs as a table wedge LOL.
Thinking the Fish soil I have read the PH should stay good for a bit.
No clue to nutrients yet.

The blower is on a phone app... not sure I like that. I may see if I can order a thermometer from the company for my blower. I hope it's somewhat automated to come on when needed.

I may need a de-humidifier, time will tell on that one. Minnesota can get really muggy.

My 1st grow will be (should be feminized and non-auto)

These 3 all have the same climate and around the same grow time frame. I think they will be ok together.

Should one not sprout... My backups are
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/us/feminized-cannabis-seeds/149-og-kush.html

I'm on a budget and wanted more than one kind so I bought one seed of each. The OG Kush was a gift for my purchase. The datasheets can be found on those pages. I had written Royal Queen for nutrient suggestions. I figure they made the seeds, they would know what is best to grown them. Still waiting for their answer.

So this is where I am atm. Waiting on seeds, need to get soil, nutrients and a few pots. Thinking starting the seeds in soil using a tiny pot. So... when to transplant is the question. I do not want to get the too tall at first. So do I wait until the roots fill the pot before transplanting? Last time I grew (around 1990) I had 4, 6 foot skinny plants. Didn't top.... didn't know LOL, and I think I transplanted into a too large pot too early.

Anyway... that is all I can think of at the moment. Been a long day and need some food. 😁 Thanks again.

Newty

Newty

You have the exhaust at the top sucking the air out of the tent right? You referenced it as a blower so I want to make sure you are not blowing into the tent.

I would try and find a way to tie the extra cords up out from below the light, you don't want all the heat from the led lights so close to the wires.
When you tie them up, make sure you have enough slack or a way to untie them easily for when you have to raise and lower your lights.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

Thanks all... So many to respond to...

Ok, here is the rundown.....

3x3 MarsHydro with the FC3000 light and the add-on lights, IR, UV and RB.
View attachment 2173374
No PH meter, I read they are not necessary. One person is using theirs as a table wedge LOL.
Thinking the Fish soil I have read the PH should stay good for a bit.
No clue to nutrients yet.

The blower is on a phone app... not sure I like that. I may see if I can order a thermometer from the company for my blower. I hope it's somewhat automated to come on when needed.

I may need a de-humidifier, time will tell on that one. Minnesota can get really muggy.

My 1st grow will be (should be feminized and non-auto)

These 3 all have the same climate and around the same grow time frame. I think they will be ok together.

Should one not sprout... My backups are
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/us/feminized-cannabis-seeds/149-og-kush.html

I'm on a budget and wanted more than one kind so I bought one seed of each. The OG Kush was a gift for my purchase. The datasheets can be found on those pages. I had written Royal Queen for nutrient suggestions. I figure they made the seeds, they would know what is best to grown them. Still waiting for their answer.

So this is where I am atm. Waiting on seeds, need to get soil, nutrients and a few pots. Thinking starting the seeds in soil using a tiny pot. So... when to transplant is the question. I do not want to get the too tall at first. So do I wait until the roots fill the pot before transplanting? Last time I grew (around 1990) I had 4, 6 foot skinny plants. Didn't top.... didn't know LOL, and I think I transplanted into a too large pot too early.

Anyway... that is all I can think of at the moment. Been a long day and need some food. 😁 Thanks again.
Awesome. You've come to the right place. I'm outside year round, greenhouse mostly and in coco coir but there's many here that can help😉

P

Phyto

You’ve got a good tent, a good light, good seeds. With no ph meter, you’ll need to go organic on the nutes. When you say”fish soil” what is that? There are many good commercial bag soils. I use Fox Farms Ocean Forest, which is a good soil, it’s manufactured close to me and I get it cheap (relatively). It is a bit overwhelming, at first, but you’ll get through it!

Last edited:
ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

If your on a Budget i would say go for Organic Fertilizers so you dont need add. Equipment to meassure ppm and can spend more time on basic stuff then to dial in dosing and mess with the run offs and flushing.

If you have access to good tap water, (might be able to check that on a goverment homepage) you can get by without an Ph meter if not atleast get some of those quick test paper straps to make sure it doesnt screw you over.

Pot wise fabric pots seem to be the cheapest option atleast where im living. Before that either/and Seed starting Domes & Red/Party cups.

For your Medium & Fertilizer brand dont overcomplicate it. There is much marketing happen but think how long people have grown Weed wihtout any "High Tech" / Super advaced amendments. I would keep that rabbit hole open for later and just get some regular lightly pre-amended Soil and some Basic Fertilizer for Veggie and Bloom plus some Calmag from something inexpensive.
Im sure people will suggest some Brands available in the States that are not to expensive.
Once you have your Setup going, and purchased everything you need you can check what would make sense to add.

But before purchasing add. ammendments get the enviroment dialed in and rather spend the money on say a decent dehumidfier than some fancy nutrients.

lenhug

lenhug

Just to add to lots of the already excellent advice here.

If you want a simple way to go for your first attempt back and to take some of the confusion out of the nutrients etc (I can totally relate to this), why not try using one of https://apotforpot.com/ (or similar) complete grow kits? This is what I did when learning last year and I haven't looked back since. In fact I've only gone bigger and better...lol! Their stuff is literally mix it all together and just add water and sunshine!

Anyway, there's lots of wise heads and great advice to be found on here. Good luck and welcome to the farm! 🙃

PianoStan

PianoStan

If you have access to good tap water, (might be able to check that on a goverment homepage) you can get by without an Ph meter if not atleast get some of those quick test paper straps to make sure it doesnt screw you over.
Nearly every single municipal water source in America supplies water at the tap that is a "base" solution. And marijuana plants grow best is slightly acidic mediums. According to Ed Rosenthal's book 'The Cannabis Grower's Handbook' says that "...soils that have a pH value between 5.8-6.5 are considered cannabis friendly." Hydro grows go a little more acidic, but the OP isn't doing that, so I won't confuse her with that info.

The water that comes from my tap averages 8.5. I've used it for the whole grow, but I have treated it with pH down every single time I've watered the plant.

I would DEFINITELY suggest @WickedMichelle gets the proper pH testing equipment, be it paper strips, or a meter, but there's no point in hamstringing herself before she even puts the seeds to germinating.

ccoki

ccoki

Nearly every single municipal water source in America supplies water at the tap that is a "base" solution. And marijuana plants grow best is slightly acidic mediums. According to Ed Rosenthal's book 'The Cannabis Grower's Handbook' says that "...soils that have a pH value between 5.8-6.5 are considered cannabis friendly." Hydro grows go a little more acidic, but the OP isn't doing that, so I won't confuse her with that info.

The water that comes from my tap averages 8.5. I've used it for the whole grow, but I have treated it with pH down every single time I've watered the plant.

I would DEFINITELY suggest @WickedMichelle gets the proper pH testing equipment, be it paper strips, or a meter, but there's no point in hamstringing herself before she even puts the seeds to germinating.

Even if you run organic it's like...why would you add the extra stress of something being out of range? Just because it can stabilize (if you're putting the work in for that anyway) doesn't mean it should. Plus when problems inevitably arise at some point in the entire journey of growing, you won't be scrambling. pH is one of the things youre probably going to want to check should something start going wrong.

I keep drops and a bulk bag of pH down and measuring spoons. Rols grower.

Top Bottom