So overwhelmed, I need a mentor! :)

• Thread starter WickedMichelle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Need to figure that out! “yelling text” could come in handy at some point 😂
If using a web browser, control+b turns bolding on and off. Also, control+i turns Italics on and off. Word processers are usually the same. As a computer tech from the dark ages of computing, I know a lot of key combinations.

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Patience is not a virtue I hold.... LOL. One way or another this is getting started Friday (my next day off).
You'll need it, though, especially when deciding when to harvest. A long reproductive period is an adaptive advantage.

I want to have everything on hand before I start. Proper preparation is important to me.
"Well begun is half done." --Mary Poppins

You'll have time to adjust along the way.

I have the 5 different seeds... if all sprout I can do 2 grows.
I don't recommend sprouting all of them. Just sprout two. If one fails, start another.

Maybe I should just start with 2. Watermelon and Purple. Save the Sherbet and Critical for the 2nd grow.
Yes.

I still have to run the intake hose on my tent.... there are not enough hours in a day 😁
You probably won't need it for a few weeks. I try to avoid changing the hardware when I have plants in the tent, though.

You don't need all that stuff it's a waste of money, my opinion of course🤑
You're probably right, especially for a first grow. The goal should be to get all the way through to a good harvest. The nuances of growing can wait. I'm sure I spent too much money when I started.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Recharge last forever so its worth it you don't need a lot. Top dress would be depending on the phase but some gaia, worm castings. You could top dress once going into flower and be good. The recharge will help save you from mistakes it's like a compost tea, it corrects a lot of stuff. 1/2 teaspoon per gallon so it goes a long way. Just my opinion though
I started by using a schedule that top dressed at four-week intervals. That's aggressive but worked well. Now, I don't follow a schedule. I just try to read the plants. I add more nutrients because I use recycled soil. So, I amend the soil mix, feed halfway through veg and again just before the flip. Then I'll feed them again halfway through flowering.

How does Recharge compare to Mykos or Great White? It seems to me that once a colony of microbes is established it should be self-perpetuating.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I started by using a schedule that top dressed at four-week intervals. That's aggressive but worked well. Now, I don't follow a schedule. I just try to read the plants. I add more nutrients because I use recycled soil. So, I amend the soil mix, feed halfway through veg and again just before the flip. Then I'll feed them again halfway through flowering.

How does Recharge compare to Mykos or Great White? It seems to me that once a colony of microbes is established it should be self-perpetuating.
I get it, I just try to make it as easy as possible for newbies.
Recharge has 4 types of bacteria, amino acids, kelp, molasses, humic acid, fulvic acid, that's what I remember off the top of my head. For myco it needs to be added early it takes forever to grow. Great white is awesome but Any good quality cheaper myco that you researched should be perfectly fine IMO. My soil has worms breaking everything down so I did 2 heavy top dresses and used some gnarly barletly this time. Coots mix of 3 sprouted seeds from buildasoil. Castings wise, Colorado company castings are the best, but limited in number, from a small family farm

Newty

Newty

Not that I've noticed. There are enough nutrients in the seed for several weeks of growth. I've also started clones in it. Kelp fertilizer works well at that stage of plant growth.

Something I like about FFLW is it's a good medium for root growth. I've started seeds in FFHF, too, and the plant grew well. So, other media are okay, too.
I may try it again with your advice on Kelp fertilizer and see what happens. I know it's marketed for seed starting, root growth, etc but for some reason I had to pay a little more attention to the plants.
I just started germinating seeds yesterday for my 8x4, maybe I'll pick up some LW and Kelp fertilizer and give it a go. My local supply store is hit or miss on LW but I won't need a big bag for 6 solo cups so maybe shipping cost won't be as much if I need to order some.

Do you have a recommendation on brand of Kelp fertilizer to use?
Thanks!

ChuckFinnl3y

ChuckFinnl3y

Sad thing is, I don't know what I want. I was hoping for a little more clarification with this thread but I think I am more confused than before I started. 😱 I did learn about flushing and flipping with certainty LMAO.

This is new. I just noticed it recently as well. Through me for a loop as also.

How do you change the Ph of the solution once mixed?

I like simple... for the line, what would you suggest in that line? All I know is I need nutrients... I do not know what nutrients. There are so many out there and they all do different things. I assume I need one to aid in the vegetation process and the flowering process. It seems that there is more needed than just those two things.

I do not know why this is so hard for me.... but I cannot figure out what it is I actually need. I am leaning toward this, Flora Series nutrients plus CALiMAGic, because it is a complete line all in one package. I cannot say I like that it is synthetic, but this is the simplicity I am looking for.

I need clear direction, "here, try this, this and this, it works great". 🤣

Starting something new is so awkward. 😞
Don't overcomplicate and jump in the whole Nutrient/amendment Rabbithole.

I totally get where your coming from as i was in that same spot not too long ago, wanting to add this, reasearch that then checking for reliable sources, on those parts, thought about living soil but then noticed i would have to postpone my grow a whole lot to soak up enough knownledge on it to be confident on it and not wasting money on useless products.

I then decided on just purchasing an inexpensive 2 part Organic Fertilizer ( 1 for Veggie 1 for Bloom).
I went with Organic because it seems more forgiving to me, slower uptake so more margings for errors in my first run.
Plus i didnt wanted to deal with meassuring parts per million (that were the meassurements the manufactuerer provided to know how much youll need to use and that would need to be meassured with another device)
For the Organic ones it was just plain simple X mililiter per Liter of water used.
Whether that whole ppm/parts per million is really necessary i cant tell, i was under the assumption while starting off that you would need to meassure your runoff aswell additional to the whole PH thingy which since then i leanred are not as important if even as i thought.

That whole shabang confused the heck outta me and after some forth and back i figured ill just go with a inexpensive Organic Option and stick to it without any fancy amendments.
Then inform myself while growing the first run which Amendments i would want to add for the next run, and where to source them from without paying a company 70 bucks or more for something that only contains small amounts of whats actually benefical.
I would also then see in my next run whether those Claims made by the Company became true or are just marketing bs, Spoiler alter most seem to be just that.

For a quick start i went with:
-a lightly buffed soil i could use in the Seedling stage premixed with perlite
-clay pebbles for the bottom of the pot for some better drainage (only needed once you repot them into their final home)
-General Hydroponic Organic Fertilzer ( Pro grow & pro bloom)
-and Calmag

So yeah, long story short everybody can just speak from their experience and what works for them.
If you just starting out, focus on the basics at first and leave the rest for later and read/watch on them while on the bus e.g.
It sometimes can see like that complicated thing but just think how long people have been growing weed for without anything super advanced and still got by just fine.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
7munkee

7munkee

Your tent size and light size are a good match. I also use a 3x3 and a 300-watt light. And I commend you for going soil/organic nutes route. THIS will get you the best taste/smell. (que incoming arguments about this topic)

The biggest hurdle for me was the watering. I either did too much or too little. Also, a minor problem to me was lighting distance/dimming level. They way I got around the watering problem was to use SIPs (Sub Irrigated Planters) although they can be expensive. And for the lighting just use the light manufacturers recommended settings. It will give you the best results without using an expensive PAR meter.

You will find that a lot of folks tell you that you MUST use calcium/magnesium (calmag). I don't find this to be true in most cases unless your medium is inert or you are using dead (RO/distilled water). Most tap water or well water will have enough. It usually doesn't hurt to add it anyway, but that is an added expense.

And lastly if you ARE gonna go organic route just remember that you must be proactive and not reactive. In other words, make sure the food is in the soil before the plant needs it. I would top dress every 3 weeks and you should never have deficiency problems.

The two members that have helped me the most are Captspaulding and Gnick so if they show up in your thread take their words of advice as gospel.

Stokes

Stokes

recharge has other things like molasses that really help kickstart proliferation

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I may try it again with your advice on Kelp fertilizer and see what happens. I know it's marketed for seed starting, root growth, etc but for some reason I had to pay a little more attention to the plants.
FFLW is granular and loose. That makes it easy for the roots to spread, which is why I'm interested in it. It drains well, though, so more watering might be needed.

I've only tried one so far. It's too bad they don't have sample sizes. So, I don't know how it compares. What I've used so far is "Clean Kelp" from Bloom City. There might be some better.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
recharge has other things like molasses that really help kickstart proliferation
I add molasses and some of the other ingredients. I might try it, though. I'd like to try to use up some of the stuff I have, but I might already have a lifetime supply of some of the stuff. I already have Mykos and Great White. Both seem to work well.

Stokes

Stokes

I add molasses and some of the other ingredients. I might try it, though. I'd like to try to use up some of the stuff I have, but I might already have a lifetime supply of some of the stuff. I already have Mykos and Great White. Both seem to work well.
Id use up what youve got for sure. Recharge is a good product, but so is what you already have. No sense in letting it go to waste. Iirc Great White may have a greater diversity of microbes. Dont quote me on that tho

chillkoots1

chillkoots1

I just started germinating seeds yesterday for my 8x4, maybe I'll pick up some LW and Kelp fertilizer and give it a go. My local supply store is hit or miss on LW but I won't need a big bag for 6 solo cups so maybe shipping cost won't be as much if I need to order some.

Thanks!

P

Phyto

Back to the original poster, she's looking for info on a first grow, not advanced growing. FFOF will have all the mycos and soil organisms that are needed.

Get some seedling soil, germinate the seeds and put them into some seedling soil in solo cups or equivalent. Let them grow for a couple weeks, water only when needed, no need to spray the leaves or use humidity domes. Once you see some roots coming out the bottom of the pot, transplant into your final containers and again, water carefully, especially water around the edges of the container, and less in the middle where the plant is. You want the roots to search for water and expand into the container. Never let the pots sit in water, put something in you catch pan to keep the pot raised above the water. The FFOF soil should hold you for 2-4 weeks, during that time get some simple A (Grow) B (flower) dry nutes and follow the dosing directions (you might want to go a little lighter on the nutes than recommended at first. You absolutely don't need a bunch of add on nutes, teas, extracts, sugars/molasses, etc., that's for later once you get some experience with basic growing. You can also get a PH meter or test strips (way cheaper). Might need calmag down the line, but that's dependent on your water, if you're in an area with "soft" water you may need it. Truly that's all you need, it's not rocket science (though some make it so), it's a weed!!!!! Go forth, grow, conquer!!

katraiter

katraiter

All I can say is WOW! No wonder I could never get a good grow in the past. There is so much more than planting a seed and watching it grow. 🤣

I am getting ready for my first grow and going a better route. I made a small investment in the tools. Purchased some seeds. On my next day off I am heading to ACE to get some soil, pots and nutrients (provided they carry what I have been reading are good).

Unlike other things I buy tools for and jump in... mistakes here are time consuming. An entire grow period can be wasted on lack of knowledge. Where I am not expecting a professional grade grow, I am realistic, I would like to have a successful 1st grow. For example.... I purchased seeds with higher THC levels fully expecting to get less until I get more experienced. I have a very high tolerance as I am a daily smoker so I hope that I can at least grow a crop that will have some affect on me.

Where I am getting confused is there are so many different responses to a situation. It can be hard to find an answer at times. The whole chemical thing still has me baffled. LOL.

If anyone here would be willing to help me I can trade services. I am a semi retired graphic designer including photo and video editing. I also program in PHP and more recently, 3D animation and modeling.

I am starting with 3 seeds (if they all sprout lol I have 2 extra in case) Different strains all with very similar climates and grow periods. I hope that nutrients will also be similar, this area is my most problematic. I have also seen nutrients that will boost the flavor. ( I wanna say also add flavor? if I read correctly).

My goals are:

A fair yield​
Decent THC level​
Not have to rely on someone else to get my supply.​
Most important - Does not taste homegrown!!! 🤢
Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help 👍
You are reading my mind!

Natep

Natep

Nothing wrong with using synthetic nutrients with organic soil.
You don't need perlite or rice hulls, you can add them if you want. Happy Frog soil and Ocean Forest soil already have some perlite in them, I add no additional.

I just like to keep it simple, if you want to add more to your soil then that's your choice. Experimenting is not a bad thing. It's your first grow in awhile so in my opinion, you should keep it simple and get a couple grows under your belt.

Whatever style and techniques you decide to use, you have a great community here to help you along the way!

This is all I use and have for many grows.
3 Gallon pots
Ocean Forest Soil
Happy Frog Soil
Flora Series nutrients plus CALiMAGic
Tap water filtered through a Zero Water filter
Yes there is a huge problem with this. Organic is not synthetic. The second you start feeding a plant synthetics it will no longer have microbial life to break down the nutrients in the soil. You will only have synthetic nutrients available. At that point it was a waste to even put the plant in soil. You should have just used a soilless media at that point. Good organic soil is really expensive to make and any of the cheap recipes just don’t last. If you build a good soil and take care of it you can run the same soil for years. My 4x4 bed has had the same soil for 5 cycles now. I reamend with craft blend twice per cycle and feed with differnt knf techniques.

Natep

Natep

If I was to start completely over today. I would keep it so simple. Build a soil 3.0 recipe in earthboxes. Dry amend with craft blend and worm casting at flower and harvest. No ph no bottled nutrients. Simple simple simple.

WickedMichelle

WickedMichelle

A new Twist! FML!!!!

Ok, so finalizing the tent. Air in, air out, plugged it all in... I can get my lights on WiFi, should be able to get the fan but it will not pick up on bluetooth. I do not have a thermometer without it. I may need another one. 😱

I got the basics.... seems I will have to wait till thurs. to get nutrients. As soon as I find an extension for the seed warming mat... getting seeds in soil. FINALLY!!! 😁

Reactions: Zab
Top Bottom