So The Diy Undercurrent Begins

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

So far I've got not much done but pretty much everything is purchased.

I'm running 12g hdx totes, 2" pvc with 3" uniseals and pre-applied silicone adhesive. I applied silicone to the mating surface of the inner corner of the uniseal that mates with the outside of the tote. I'm hoping this sealant will fix any leaking issues that have been known to happen with uniseals. I guess I'll find out in about a week once I finish everything.

So the diy undercurrent begins
So the diy undercurrent begins 2
So the diy undercurrent begins 3
So the diy undercurrent begins 4
H

heisen

Plastic is silicone resistant,Not a silicone on the planet that will keep them from leaking,After having multiple failures and using every other silicone i could find i went with 4 dollar bulk heads from marine depot and put leaky buckets to bed,
Also your gonna need to light seal the lid of those totes or your gonna have a coating of green algae under them

H

heisen

Also a chop saw works good for pre cutting all the pipes to glue it all together.i can build a 12 bucket setup in 2 hrs,

S

Shawnery

I was planning on painting them black and using duct tape to cover any worrisome spots.

I'm not planning on the silicone bonding with the plastic but just filling any gaps. I figured I'd try it even though I knew better. You know me, I have to prove myself wrong before I learn a lesson.

If it's as awful as you and others say I'll let it go and get bulkheads but I had to try.

H

heisen

trust me man you dont want totes for plants,They are good for putting clones in to get going at maybe 2 to 3 totes max with 6 plants in each tote but they are way to deep,And you will need 200 gallons to fill that system,with nutes and water it will get old real quick,
If you look at tht other guys post he posted with the stainless tanks,That guy ended up scrapping that system for smaller tanks.
You dont need a big bucket to grow DWC.4 gallon square buckets is all you need for a 4 week veg plant and 8 gallon for 7 week.
Do yourself a huge favor and order some 4 gallon square buckets from U-line and the lids,Get a 6 inch hole saw,Some 1 1/2 inch bulkheads,2 per bucket and some Multipurpose PVC glue.
I cut all my pipe at 11 3/4 inches giving you 20 inch centers on the buckets.figure out how many you need for that tent and just put your control bucket outside of the tent.
Glue the bulkheads to the pipes first them screw them all together in the buckets.IT WILL NOT leak ever.
Put a top off float valve in your epi bucket and get a 27 gallon tote to run to it,Put a 15 gallon fish tank pump in there and screw it to the wall.
You can set all this up and thank me later,The only problem your gonna have is what to do with all the buds you grow.

H

heisen

trust me when i tell you this system kills it,It took me a long time to perfect it and get it right.The space between the buckets is perfect,Get you some plastic covered R 13 insulation and cut it at 48 inches,wrap them around the buckets and tape it up.You can get a 1/4 HP chiller and it will only come on 3 times an hr to keep the system at 68 degrees.
The entire system will hold 47 Gallons (13 buckets) and super easy to maintain,and PH will hold for days.

DSC 0226
H

heisen

I have my system set up so i can put 2 totes on top of the buckets and it uses the same plumbing as the system,I just uhook the hoses and hook it into the totes,easy as shit.This will allow you to use less light for 2 weeks to get your plants started,and less water and nutes.Once they get going just empty the water from the totes straight into your bucket system and lift up the net pots and put them right in.Its super easy and efficient as shit.

S

Shawnery

I chose the totes because they're no where near as deep as the buckets. The 5 gallon buckets I used to use with 1/2" pipes were deeper than this. I'll be using more water but not because its deeper but because its bigger. I chose this as well because at some point I will grow three plants in each tote. With one tote I can do both very easily.

I know you know best but I'm very happy with my setup!

DGP

DGP

I used silicone sealant on the first prototype with those damn uni-leaks. Never ever again will I use them. Harder than hell to assemble and I was out-cursing a seasoned Longshoreman in about 5 minutes. After suffering multiple leaks I literally threw the whole system out into the driveway and then into the dumpster.

That is when I switched to the 5.3 gallon Easy Store black buckets and CPR brand 2" aquarium bulkhead fittings. Amazon has a deal on the easy store black buckets and the bulkheads as well and I think it is quite a bit less than U-Line.

That is how I did the first successful DIY system for my self for around 300 bucks not including chiller but I think it was quite worth it cause even for 600 bucks you can't touch an 8 bucket Current culture system.

Shawnery no disrespect intended but based on experience I completely agree with Heisenbubble.....hope you don't have leaks but I do not trust those sealsc at all.

Dee

S

Shawnery

Like I said, had to try, gluten for punishment!

I have no doubt that he and others are completely correct about the leaking. You warned me much earlier than this though and I considered it a challenge like most things.

If it leaks, I'm not quite done with the sealing yet though, I'll return the seals and just get bulkheads.

I'm happy otherwise with my setup though

H

heisen

I chose the totes because they're no where near as deep as the buckets. The 5 gallon buckets I used to use with 1/2" pipes were deeper than this. I'll be using more water but not because its deeper but because its bigger. I chose this as well because at some point I will grow three plants in each tote. With one tote I can do both very easily.

I know you know best but I'm very happy with my setup!
Well revisit this after the first grow,keep us updated

H

heisen

3 full grown plants in them totes is like akin to do your own hemmoroid surgery,fuck that shit.
Do the buckets and build it right.put your plants on 20 inch centers for a 3 week veg and flip them into a scrog.4 pounds in 4x8 is easy as nothing man.im telling you some good shit.
Your not gonna gain anything bunching up a bunch of plants in that small space other than a whole lot of larf.20 inch centers gives you a 14 to 18 branch plant multiplied by 12 plants do the math on how many big ass colas you get in a 4x8.
Your gonna end up cutting out half them plants to get them.right.
It's all about efficiency in rdwc.otherwise just build a flood table setup and do 2 node flips with 200 plants

6 days ago taken july 7

20180707 021046

5 minutes ago

20180713 230112

S

Shawnery

Let's set a standard! What's will you consider a positive and worthwhile harvest for this build to meet your epic level?

Seriously!

scubascrog

scubascrog

I agree with Heisen on that one. you need 5-7 gallons max. those are reservoirs. you think you are going to buy a chiller big enough for that much water, doubt it. you think you want to run a water pump big enough for that? you are going to buy nutrients for a 200 gallon root area? L O FUCKING L

I will disagree with heisen on one thing tho. you gotta sand the holes open from a smaller diameter for the uni seals and they will work fine, I have a 4 site tho so the volume is less.. you just have to be precise and really shove those fuckers in there with soapy water and make sure the hole is perfectly round and sanded of all barbs. the volume weight will most likely be too much for the thickness "or thinness i should say" of the hdx totes. so maybe he is right.

S

Shawnery

If I grew three per tote they would be in for as short a veg as possible. That way there wouldn't be an issue. If people can run a sog there's no reason I can't grow three in a 12 gallon tote if the height is right.

Just do me a favor! If I prove you wrong be sure to stand on your soapbox and let the entire forum know how great I am!:D:p:cool:

scubascrog

scubascrog

three per tote? how about you grow one plant per bucket like normal people one plant will get the better hand and squash the other 2. air pumps are gonna be loud to aerate all that, going to need like 1/2 hp cooler to cool it if you want to recirculate it in time to keep it cool. you have no idea what can of worms you are opening but okey. you are going to spend like 400 dollars in hydroguard this run HAHA

scubascrog

scubascrog

what nutrients are you going to use so I can calculate it for you

Latest posts

Top Bottom