So What Are Your Multiple Feedings Ec And Amounts

• Thread starter StandingRock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dewd

Dewd

1000w hps. Temp is running 76 at the thermostat most days wit the lights on. 72 with the lights off. The canopy is a little warmer now that I decided to do a run without a vented hood this time. Humidity is 65%. Not sure how to measure the transpiration rate. My girls are still suffering a little from broad mite poison so they are not growing as fast as they were before the mites but they are growing much faster than they were 2 weeks ago when I almost dumped the whole bunch.

StandingRock

StandingRock

I actually increased my feeding times. Still the same EC but more frequent waterings. I do five a day and I keep the reservoir cooled to 60 degrees(no more ph adjusting and the chemicals don't precipitate for weeks. It's a much more stable reservoir at cold temperatures) It comes out at about 68 degrees and the plants are loving every bit of it. I also do 50:50 perlite coco now. Phenomal growth.

StandingRock

StandingRock

I've learned the following in the year since I started coco:

Your EC is definitely going to be relative to your VPD and whatever lights you're using.

Frequent feeding WORKS. Don't let it dry out.

Make sure to get 10 to 20 percent runoff of the total amount you water throughout the day and you'll never need to flush.

Drain to waste is the way to go

50/50 perlite to coco seems to be a nice balance of the coco retaining moisture and the perlite allowing airflow. Smart pots FTW

Happy growing guys!

Dewd

Dewd

I actually increased my feeding times. Still the same EC but more frequent waterings. I do five a day and I keep the reservoir cooled to 60 degrees(no more ph adjusting and the chemicals don't precipitate for weeks. It's a much more stable reservoir at cold temperatures) It comes out at about 68 degrees and the plants are loving every bit of it. I also do 50:50 perlite coco now. Phenomal growth.
I might just have to check the temp in my reservoir I need to adjust ph every day. I would rather buy a chiller or something. Good info thanks

Dewd

Dewd

I've learned the following in the year since I started coco:

Your EC is definitely going to be relative to your VPD and whatever lights you're using.

Frequent feeding WORKS. Don't let it dry out.

Make sure to get 10 to 20 percent runoff of the total amount you water throughout the day and you'll never need to flush.

Drain to waste is the way to go

50/50 perlite to coco seems to be a nice balance of the coco retaining moisture and the perlite allowing airflow. Smart pots FTW

Happy growing guys!
I use about an 80/20 mix coco and perlite. I've been thinking about using smart pots. I keep hearing good thing about them

StandingRock

StandingRock

I might just have to check the temp in my reservoir I need to adjust ph every day. I would rather buy a chiller or something. Good info thanks

It's amazing I love it. I NEVER adjust ph anymore between fills and colder water holds more oxygen. You'll have to play around with what temperature works for you. Mine was 60 because I run the room at 81 and I like my root balls a little cooler at 68 or 70 degrees. By the time the water goes through the pipes and everything it comes out of the drippers at 68 degrees.

You won't regret the smart pots. Try bumping up your perlite a little bit :) it's like running pure hydro but having the safety net of the coco.

Dewd

Dewd

I like that controller. Tell us more
about it!
I just got it and I like it too. It's 2 seperate timers in 1. It can run all day or just when the lights are on. It can be set as low as 1 second intervals. Mine is set to water for 20 seconds every 130 min while the lights are on. Takes only a few seconds to set the timer. It's super easy

P

Pimples

I just got it and I like it too. It's 2 seperate timers in 1. It can run all day or just when the lights are on. It can be set as low as 1 second intervals. Mine is set to water for 20 seconds every 130 min while the lights are on. Takes only a few seconds to set the timer. It's super easy
I got the Autopilot brand of the same timer. They work great.

Nugteq

Nugteq

Question.
I have autopilot digital timer as well, yet ive been feeding 4 to 5 times throughout day. Thats every 5 or 6 hours it goes off. So far great results with hydroton layer on bottom 2 to 3 gal coco container and 1inch hydroton on top using Coco loco which I need to make my own coco because fox farms coco loco comes filled with fungus knats.
Anyways, I have recycling timer going off throughout day and night.
Is it better to run feedings just during lights on?
Lights on is 86 F and 46% rh
Lights off is 79 F and 67% rh

Current feed schedule gets plants fed around 2 times lights off and 2.5 times lights on.

Again great results however have not considered feeding just lights on..

P

Pimples

Question.
I have autopilot digital timer as well, yet ive been feeding 4 to 5 times throughout day. Thats every 5 or 6 hours it goes off. So far great results with hydroton layer on bottom 2 to 3 gal coco container and 1inch hydroton on top using Coco loco which I need to make my own coco because fox farms coco loco comes filled with fungus knats.
Anyways, I have recycling timer going off throughout day and night.
Is it better to run feedings just during lights on?
Lights on is 86 F and 46% rh
Lights off is 79 F and 67% rh

Current feed schedule gets plants fed around 2 times lights off and 2.5 times lights on.

Again great results however have not considered feeding just lights on..
Yes. You dont really need a feed at night. My timer kicks on when lights fire up in the morning. And every 3 hours after depending on stage of growth. Its a good idea to start the last feed an hour or 2 before lights out. Coco drain to waste rules dont it? Ive grown every which way u can think of...in all mediums. And this is the most consistent forgiving and results worthy way to grow in my opinion. Back in the day I ran recycling rockwool blocks and slabs on drippers. Then i went to rockwool drip to waste (which is the way we should of been doing it way back then) with much better results. Then I went to soilless peat mixes like promix. With a water wand. Awesome as well but then I got hooked on coco coir...once I figured that medium out. Holy Shit. Game on for about the last 10 years or so. My cousin gave me some big mommas in pots of promix not too long ago..Its been so long I honestly forgot how to grow in peat mixes. Lol. I wanted to hammer em with a feed every watering. Not a good idea.

Dewd

Dewd

W
Yes. You dont really need a feed at night. My timer kicks on when lights fire up in the morning. And every 3 hours after depending on stage of growth. Its a good idea to start the last feed an hour or 2 before lights out. Coco drain to waste rules dont it? Ive grown every which way u can think of...in all mediums. And this is the most consistent forgiving and results worthy way to grow in my opinion. Back in the day I ran recycling rockwool blocks and slabs on drippers. Then i went to rockwool drip to waste (which is the way we should of been doing it way back then) with much better results. Then I went to soilless peat mixes like promix. With a water wand. Awesome as well but then I got hooked on coco coir...once I figured that medium out. Holy Shit. Game on for about the last 10 years or so. My cousin gave me some big mommas in pots of promix not too long ago..Its been so long I honestly forgot how to grow in peat mixes. Lol. I wanted to hammer em with a feed every watering. Not a good idea.
Hi pimples, What coco do you like to use? Do you pasteurize you coco before use. I'm just starting with coco. Thanks!

P

Pimples

W

Hi pimples, What coco do you like to use? Do you pasteurize you coco before use. I'm just starting with coco. Thanks!
I used Botanicare ReadyGro Moisture Formula (less perlite and pumice than the Aeration Formula) for years. Has a nice light starter charge of goodies to get the young ones off to a start. But the last couple years I been using Canna Coco Brick Coir. Its prebuffered. 4 ten liter bricks. 2 in each bag. They got holes in em for easy expansion. Just a gallon of lukewarm tap water per brick. Expand them right in the bag. Needs no rinsing. Bug free. Just plant and go. About 11 to 13 bucks for 40 liters in all the growshops around town. I also reuse my coco coir up to 3 times. Get the main rootball out. Rinse with 0.6 EC and 6.0 pH base nutrient and an enzyme. Replant..and go go go. With reusing and the cheap price of quality bricks...coco coir is not really that much of an expense anymore. Cheaper than rockwool and Promix for me.

Dewd

Dewd

I used Botanicare ReadyGro Moisture Formula (less perlite and pumice than the Aeration Formula) for years. Has a nice light starter charge of goodies to get the young ones off to a start. But the last couple years I been using Canna Coco Brick Coir. Its prebuffered. 4 ten liter bricks. 2 in each bag. They got holes in em for easy expansion. Just a gallon of lukewarm tap water per brick. Expand them right in the bag. Needs no rinsing. Bug free. Just plant and go. About 11 to 13 bucks for 40 liters in all the growshops around town. I also reuse my coco coir up to 3 times. Get the main rootball out. Rinse with 0.6 EC and 6.0 pH base nutrient and an enzyme. Replant..and go go go. With reusing and the cheap price of quality bricks...coco coir is not really that much of an expense anymore. Cheaper than rockwool and Promix for me.
Awsome! Thanks for the info. Much appreciated

StandingRock

StandingRock

Canna coco is wonderful and totally ready to go. I add RO water with about .3 EC of bloom and ph to 5.8. Great stuff.

Nugteq

Nugteq

Thanks so much man. Always on point with the knowledge you share
My good friend does super soil and strives for 1.5 per light. When I showed him what coco dtw yields are..he shat himself with disbelief. .then to curiosity. .now hes buying the same timer and dripper system we both use lmao

Do you add anything else to yourcoco? Like a % of perlite like standingrock?

I use plastic pots because they hold my tomato cages much better than fabric pots..do you have a preference?

I started flushing heavy right after and during stretch with low calmag and regular flower nutes at about 300 to 600ppm and the results are amazing. Im sure ill find that sweet spot but its been a priority for me to never allow nute lockout and ive found week3 of flower always has something to say about it...

Wisher619

Wisher619

Thanks so much man. Always on point with the knowledge you share
My good friend does super soil and strives for 1.5 per light. When I showed him what coco dtw yields are..he shat himself with disbelief. .then to curiosity. .now hes buying the same timer and dripper system we both use lmao

Do you add anything else to yourcoco? Like a % of perlite like standingrock?

I use plastic pots because they hold my tomato cages much better than fabric pots..do you have a preference?

I started flushing heavy right after and during stretch with low calmag and regular flower nutes at about 300 to 600ppm and the results are amazing. Im sure ill find that sweet spot but its been a priority for me to never allow nute lockout and ive found week3 of flower always has something to say about it...
there are alot of ways to use coco
you can cut it heavy with perlite and run a recirculating system or use pure coco and run DTW and run any mixture inbetween

as long as you keep the ph of the feed correct and the coco moist always you will be good to go

Nugteq

Nugteq

Im curious to know if anyone on the farm has done a side by side in their own garden with say 80/20 perlite coco 50/50 perl coco or 20/80 per coco. Anyone got any links for references? Personal experience is great too tho. I want to step into this with a controlled side by side for next run everything the same with 1 control and only variance % of perlite to coco. Really excited to see which medium outperforms which in a multi day irrigation dtw system

P

Pimples

Im curious to know if anyone on the farm has done a side by side in their own garden with say 80/20 perlite coco 50/50 perl coco or 20/80 per coco. Anyone got any links for references? Personal experience is great too tho. I want to step into this with a controlled side by side for next run everything the same with 1 control and only variance % of perlite to coco. Really excited to see which medium outperforms which in a multi day irrigation dtw system
I think there is a thread over at icmag on a side by side a grower did with heavy perlite amended coco and straight coco. Dont remember the results. But I have did some experimenting myself a few years back. I did a 70/30 a 60/40 and straight coir. In 3 gallon fabric pots. Hand watered/fed with a watering wand. The results in yield were inconclusive but the 60/40 blend needed feed way more. I could of gotten away with one daily soaking until runoff on all of them but the 60/40 and 70/30 pots liked a 2 or 3 daily feeds much more. This wasnt a tried and true test study...and I basically gave all 3 blends 3 waters a day at peak growth/bloom. My yield tallys were basically the same though. One of the reasons I left Botanicare Readygro Moisture (75/25) and Aeration (60/40) blends and went with straight coir. Last couple years settling on Canna Brick Coco Coir.

Last edited:
Top Bottom