So what had happened was...

• Thread starter Slim0317
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Slim0317

They're not. Well, the gelato and MAC aren't. Strawberry still dgaf, started popping 5 point leaves last night. The three pointers were just her adjusting to the additional light. I finally figured out that for some reason the pots weren't draining. Went to the nursery and got 2 bags of Happy Frog and a bottle of fox farm grow big. I re- potted both of them last night. Going to follow instructions for supplemental foliar feeding and spray them once a week until the roots recover, or until they die, if that should be their fate.

20220603 145431
S

Slim0317

The funky color is because I turned the red spectrum off while they're recovering in an effort to be as gentle with them as I can. They had a so-far successful surgery, but it's still a crap shoot. Prayers for Mac and Jelly.

20220603 181826
20220603 181808
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
This is why I follow a strict transplanting regimen with all of my plants - the proper size pot for the plant is important. Start out in solo cup size or equivalent, once roots show on bottom transplant to 1 gallon. Then to 3 gallon, then to 5 gallon, onward and etc.

When you start small plants out in overly large pots, you get a lot of unused soil that holds water, that doesn't get used, which makes for a breeding ground of fungi, bacteria and other pathogens. It's important that your soil/media is getting regular intervals of wet and dry to prevent this, thus having the appropriate pot size to fit the root ball - is very important.

9 times out of 10 when I see people having issues with their plants and they're doing everything right, they've overlooked that 1 key rule.

S

Slim0317

The only reason I had drainage issues is because I first watered moist soil, eventhough it was 24hrs ahead of time, then moved them around too much. It didn't bother the strawberry cough because she has a fairly shallow root system. The gelato and MAC1 hit the bottom of their solo cups by day 2. After 24hrs+ in Happy Frog straight out of the bag and a spray of Fox Farm big bloom and they're starting to come back. I understand the 3 pot method, but I put them in their final container to protect them as best I can from my clumsy ass. I do the things do to accommodate as best I can what I know of my strengths and limitations and not from ignorance or rebellion, though sometimes it may look like that. I have 2 very difficult strains to grow, and am attempting to do so on limited resources. And I'm not bitching, it's how I'm choosing to do it.

S

Slim0317

Update - it looks like MAC1 and Gelato#33 are re-vegging since they had started to flower, I think due to stress since they haven't spent very much time in the dark since I've had them. I think you can see the trichromes on the leaves in some of the pictures. And since they're not easy strains to cultivate, and they have started to bud once, not to mention popped some 3 point leaves during all that, I'm watching very closely to make sure neither one grows a pair. Can anyone confirm if they are in fact growing again?

20220617 181340
20220617 181328
20220617 181311
20220617 181244
20220617 181235
20220617 181223
20220617 181158
20220617 103350
20220617 103419
20220617 103427
20220617 103432
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Update - it looks like MAC1 and Gelato#33 are re-vegging since they had started to flower, I think due to stress since they haven't spent very much time in the dark since I've had them. I think you can see the trichromes on the leaves in some of the pictures. And since they're not easy strains to cultivate, and they have started to bud once, not to mention popped some 3 point leaves during all that, I'm watching very closely to make sure neither one grows a pair. Can anyone confirm if they are in fact growing again?
Look at your new growth if it has more leaves then it is going veg,if less it's going into flower,if it's the same it's confused and sitting on the fence

S

Slim0317

Look at your new growth if it has more leaves then it is going veg,if less it's going into flower,if it's the same it's confused and sitting on the fence
I had said about a week ago, another thread I think, that they had been stressed into preflower and seemed confused once I left the lights on to stop them from flowering and had stopped growing anything, leaf or flower. But this definitely looks like new veg to me. First 4 are MAC1, next 4 Larry Bird (Gelato#33), last is all 3 for reference. Strawberry Cough ( aka Little Miss DGAF) behind Larry and MAC, all purchased same day, all potted same day, MAC & Larry getting rinsed and re-potted in fresh HF because the pots weren't drying out and their roots weren't big enough yet to soak it all up and were drowning. It's taken about 2 weeks and I had lost hope in them, though as long as they were still alive I was still going to take care of them, unless they decided to actually grow some balls. At that point they would have just been a couple of dead eunuchs.

20220618 085705
20220618 085708
20220618 085657
20220618 085646
20220618 085719
20220618 085727
20220618 085735
20220618 085742
20220618 085802
S

Slim0317

Pots are too dry, your plants are unhealthy and stunted 🥀
Perhaps you should avoid the clones from that dispensary or start from seed to get a better grow/learn/share wheel started (life lesson). Sickly plants should be scrapped.

This is why I don't "scrap sickly plants". They weren't sick when I got them. If they got sick, then they can be healed. Good thing your parents didn't scrap you when you got sick. It took time, a lot of patience, and they have both come back to veg, with some good growth. (Life lesson) And since I don't have a deadline, harvesting them a month or two later because they needed that time to get healthy, well... guess I should've scrapped them.

20220705 181014
20220705 180922
20220705 110514
20220705 110214
TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Old post but I figured I'd mention that clones from dispos are regularly grown indoors (it depends on who made them) and if they don't get hardened off for full sun properly (or purchased from a greenhouse nursery) then they will do exactly what your plants did. Once they stunt, even if they reveg they're still a lost cause imo

S

Slim0317

Here are the stunted plants that are half indoor, half outdoor. Front left is Gelato#33, front right is MAC 1, and the back are two Strawberry Cough clones I took off the original who sadly perished in the heatwave. Locked out and starved. The bigger one looks identical to the original. The smaller one looks like a small version and I think it's because the big one was a main branch off the stalk, and the little one is a off a branch vs off the stalk.

TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Here are the stunted plants that are half indoor, half outdoor. Front left is Gelato#33, front right is MAC 1, and the back are two Strawberry Cough clones I took off the original who sadly perished in the heatwave. Locked out and starved. The bigger one looks identical to the original. The smaller one looks like a small version and I think it's because the big one was a main branch off the stalk, and the little one is a off a branch vs off the stalk.
Are your saying that these are the same plants from the pictures in the previous post on July 6th? Like they have been growing since then?

It would be interesting to see the root ball split open on the plant that died

S

Slim0317

Are your saying that these are the same plants from the pictures in the previous post on July 6th? Like they have been growing since then?

It would be interesting to see the root ball split open on the plant that died
These are the same. They've been growing so long because every time they stressed, they stopped growing. When conditions were again to their liking, good growth until the next issue, because they never stop. Dealing with thrips/aphids rn. Noticed MAC had a web in her, no spider mites. Actual spiders all over the place here. When I saw what was in the web, that's kinda when it hit, I will likely never have a grow without problems. It's going to be a constant battle unless I stop growing, and I in some twisted way love it too much to ever stop. Here's the only pics I have of the roots of the late Ms. IDGAF.

20220926 174220
20221005 142023
20221005 142031
TheWalkingPlant

TheWalkingPlant

Couple of questions and a recommendation if you're open to it:

If you are cloning and have indoor space and lights already, why not just grow moms inside and clone plants to flower outside instead of bringing them inside and back out? Like you were saying, they like consistency in order to grow well.

I've had a plant die like that before, and I learned a lot about it from slownickel on Instagram / Icmag. His calus cloning tech was an eye opener for me, and would probably explain why you have two very different looking plants from the same mother. Would also explain why the one just decided to up and die. He seems to recommend literally breaking open the base of the clone where the roots originate and seeing if there is a wood fungus / stem rot in the center of the stem. He's got pictures on his Instagram of what I'm explaining

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Slim0317

First, I will always lend an ear and open mind to advice given in the support of success or to impart knowledge. Anything that falls outside of that also falls outside my cognizance. It captures none of my attention.
Second, I'm aware that I'm new to this and have much to learn. I'm also really smart and was fortunate enough to once work for a man that taught me how to find solutions to problems that I had no prior experience or knowledge of. I may not have known at the time the why to the what, but I was able to figure it out and they've come back after every fix, save one. I didn't have the resources that I needed to save her. 3 days before she dies I checked her soil to see if she needed water and the temperature of the soil recalled to memory everything I had read about root zone management and knew in my gut she was a goner. People can look at a picture and speculate all they like.(not insinuating) But I'm not an absentee grower. I'm with them daily, which is the only reason I still have any plants at all. It's also why I can say, no, I know this is what did it cause I was there or yeah, that's exactly what happened.

Mothers indoors and clones outdoors has always been the plan(until my other 'accessory structure' is functional) but the powers that be decided against that.

Thank you for your genuine interest and encouragement. There's precious little of it, but you can't find diamonds without digging.

Regards

S

Slim0317

So, this Is a really old thread, I am down to one original clone I got back last May. My Gelato#33 shook off everything until a month into their 12/12 and the heater for some reason never shut off and killed the middle of the plant. She was involuntarily topped about 2 weeks after I saw the first sign of flower. She doesn't seem to care. It's cold now so I'm finishing her flower in the house. And if you get close you can get a whiff of what she's going to smell like.

20230102 093712
20221231 102722
20221230 085118

Latest posts

Top Bottom