Soil Or Dwc

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
45North

45North

Co2 is not something that is a must but i have all the equipment from growing aquatic plants in the past. Given the right conditions it can greatly increase photosynthesis leading to faster growth and healthier plants overall. That is why i'm doing a sealed grow area with complete control over temps and humidity as well as Co2 levels. Also this allows me keep a very accurate record and replicate or change environmental factors for future grows to fine tune a strain to its exact like and dislikes.

DTW is drain to waste, which is prob a given and i should not use the term :/ sorry for the confusion.

Taste is most important to me but also gaining the max thc level out of a particular strain as possible. I'm not overly worried about bugs as I plan to throw in some chives/garlic as natural means of keeping bugs away and with it being sealed should help. None the less I will look into other means if necessary.

Would you recommend 100% happy frog or a mixture?

Thank for all the input everyone
With 1/4 to 1/3 grow stones or perlite.
Ocean holds moisture longer than happy frog. Bigger pieces. Don’t forget that you will still need to vent the moisture/humidity. I run negative pressure (with a usb fan during flowers).
CO2 is just an added cost. Not for me, I’d rather have UV-B
45n

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

With 1/4 to 1/3 grow stones or perlite.
Ocean holds moisture longer than happy frog. Bigger pieces. Don’t forget that you will still need to vent the moisture/humidity. I run negative pressure (with a usb fan during flowers).
CO2 is just an added cost. Not for me, I’d rather have UV-B
45n

I will be running a dehumidifier and humidifier for complete control over humidity. Also UVB for mid/late flowering. If Co2 results are even close to what I have with aquatic plants then I will keep running it but from what i read with optimum light humidity and nutrients it can only be close to 20% increase in growth (in aquatics it can be higher than 10 x). But I would not bother running Co2 after the stretch is done as it not really needed.

45North

45North

Space in my room is for plants not equipment. Power $$$.
Oregon, Washington, California are all Rec states $15 1/8 includes tax is pretty common. Live Resin $20 g.
Keep you cost with in reason or you might as well go to a dispensary.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Space in my room is for plants not equipment. Power $$$.
Oregon, Washington, California are all Rec states $15 1/8 includes tax is pretty common. Live Resin $20 g.
Keep you cost with in reason or you might as well go to a dispensary.

This isn't about money for me, its about producing the best possible results of a given strain that i can achieve. In a sense this is going to be a hobby and hobbies cost money but i also enjoy spending time doing them and a lot of DIY. Also your not going to find top notch herb at a dispensary (just my opinion). I know this may seem like i smoked a little to much but for me its the process that's just as enjoyable and the product. I have grown aquatic plants for many years and have minimal return on large investments only because i find it very enjoyable to see the results.

centralcoast

centralcoast

That is some rough, novice advice . There are so many different inputs that could drastically change the over all PH level of the solution if you just went with what he says and added the same amount every time. A ph solution will change incrementally based on temp alone. Get a decent PH pen, keep it calibrated and allow for a gentle swing through out the optimum range of what ever medium you choose. And pick through your info carefully. If the old boys dont comment then check to see what comments they themselves have liked on your thread. Too many kids on here with that copy paste pseudo grow science!

Each medium will have its benefits for your style. Coco is easier for the beginner. If you feed to much and your coco ends up too hot you can simply feed with a solution at a lower ppm/ec that you want it at and it will automatically adjust itself after a few litres/gallons run through. So you have more room to move with coco. Plus with coco you will find more explosive growth during the vege stage, owing to ease of movement the roots have in coco and the over all o2 porosity of the coco.

Soil is good too, only a few feeds a week, you can allow it to get a bit dryer. If you get too hot in soil from over feeding it can be more difficult to rectify the situation as a beginner you will notice the signs and may not be able to fix it with a "simple" flush.

DWC you have to be there 24/7 almost like a watery baby! If your power or equipment gives out you may only have a max of 4 or so hours till the plant closes down to preserve what turgidity it has and you start to head towards total crop failure. But if you nail it you will be rewarded with a bumper crop from DWC I believe. Even in coco I test PH and temp of res twice daily. I guess with the other two you could leave for the weekend and come back and itll be grand. With DWC you or someone who understands aqua culture will have to be there to monitor the operation. Big up grow fam! lets keep propagating good experienced based learning on here!
It’s a tried and true method and is simple, which I like. I do use ph test strips to check the general range but dont micro manage the hell out of it. I also wasn’t giving him advice persay but merely stating what’s worked for myself and many others in the past. I learned from BOG and other well respected growers. I’m not saying it’s the only way, it just works for me.

Did the dwc for a while and found the extra equipment needed to be a pain in the ass. Not only that but the end result wasn’t as enjoyable.

45North

45North

It’s a tried and true method and is simple, which I like. I do use ph test strips to check the general range but dont micro manage the hell out of it. I also wasn’t giving him advice persay but merely stating what’s worked for myself and many others in the past. I learned from BOG and other well respected growers. I’m not saying it’s the only way, it just works for me.

Did the dwc for a while and found the extra equipment needed to be a pain in the ass. Not only that but the end result wasn’t as enjoyable.
I’ve been kicking the DWC idea around also.
I think I’ll stay with soil.
45n

Clamwrangler

Clamwrangler

I get that its worked for you man and if an experienced grower was asking the question i wouldnt have said anything. But @Aqua Man says in the thread its his first grow, he doesnt know what works for him yet and telling someone dealing with an ACID SOLUTION to just add this amount with out any knowledge of his water quality or ph at the tap, his choice of nutrients or additives is plain dangerous. All this has a major effect on how much ph down should be getting used. PH down is acid, acid is dangerous and corrosive. Ive seen it burn holes through carpet and flooring so many times. Imagine what it does to delicate roots if not added correctly?? Just give sound advice bro.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I get that its worked for you man and if an experienced grower was asking the question i wouldnt have said anything. But @Aqua Man says in the thread its his first grow, he doesnt know what works for him yet and telling someone dealing with an ACID SOLUTION to just add this amount with out any knowledge of his water quality or ph at the tap, his choice of nutrients or additives is plain dangerous. All this has a major effect on how much ph down should be getting used. PH down is acid, acid is dangerous and corrosive. Ive seen it burn holes through carpet and flooring so many times. Imagine what it does to delicate roots if not added correctly?? Just give sound advice bro.

Agree acid is not something to mess with willy nilly, I had 60% nitric acid I diluted down to 30% for use as PH down in veg. and 30% phosphoric acid for PH down in flower. But tbh i'm probably not going to use them even though I get them free. I will just pay for PH down. Nitric acid is very nasty stuff so I will prob just use them in some test grows in the future just for knowledge.

centralcoast

centralcoast

Again I wasn’t instructing him on what to do. I was stating what I do and attempting to express how much easier soil grows were compared to dwc/other mediums.

45North

45North

This isn't about money for me, its about producing the best possible results of a given strain that i can achieve. In a sense this is going to be a hobby and hobbies cost money but i also enjoy spending time doing them and a lot of DIY. Also your not going to find top notch herb at a dispensary (just my opinion). I know this may seem like i smoked a little to much but for me its the process that's just as enjoyable and the product. I have grown aquatic plants for many years and have minimal return on large investments only because i find it very enjoyable to see the results.
I farm to keep the wife out of the dispensary. 100% organic. Hobby. Fun. Good smoke. Rare strains. FLAVOR
Then your friends shoulder tap for a kick down you know you did a good job :)
45n

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

How significant are the gains from DWC to DTW soil?

So, if you google up the grow weed easy DWC article, that is a perfectly good system that works great. I found it very easy to figure out. I used the General Hydroponic nute line, got 8 ounces out of two cheezy Amazon LEDs.

I recommend stepping up to hydro, if you're at all handy with your hands. Its easier to keep on track, nute wise. No building up of salts, complete control over pH. The downside is that you have to manage the reservoir, avoid root rot. Its easily done if you can follow directions, and it's easier, IMHO, to get premium results with hydro over soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I farm to keep the wife out of the dispensary. 100% organic. Hobby. Fun. Good smoke. Rare strains. FLAVOR
Then your friends shoulder tap for a kick down you know you did a good job :)
45n
Just Awesome! I'm hoping I can do the same.

So, if you google up the grow weed easy DWC article, that is a perfectly good system that works great. I found it very easy to figure out. I used the General Hydroponic nute line, got 8 ounces out of two cheezy Amazon LEDs.

I recommend stepping up to hydro, if you're at all handy with your hands. Its easier to keep on track, nute wise. No building up of salts, complete control over pH. The downside is that you have to manage the reservoir, avoid root rot. Its easily done if you can follow directions, and it's easier, IMHO, to get premium results with hydro over soil.

Great info, I have read that article several times. I'm leaning back towards my original DWC (RDWC to be accurate) plan and just see how it goes with the PH swing if I put the air pump inside the grow space. Worse case I put em outside and lose a little efficiency.

JMcG

JMcG

@centralcoast
I’m with you on this one.
@Aqua Man, sounds to me like you will do fine with whatever style of grow you go with.
IMO... I have run all three over the years. Dwc, rdwc, coco and now organic soil in massive raised planters. Here is my take on each:
DWC and RDWC work incredibly well and give massive harvests of great quality bud. These are really fun systems to design and put together. A guy like you with your background should knock this outta the park! Be ready for constant maintenance and tweaking of the system. Get all the bottles, pens, coolers, that are mentioned everywhere, you will certainly need them. Quality will be good, aroma and terps will be the same. You will be a slave to the system, but my guess is that you’ll love every minute of it!
Coco: I jumped from RDWC to coco ( on my way to soil) in search of better quality product. I was getting nothing but good feedback from clients on the RDWC bud, but felt it was missing a higher level of terpenes. I ran coco for a year and did indeed get better flavor out of it. It was a bit more simple to operate than RDWC but still required quite a bit of daily maintenance. I liked that I could re use the medium too.
SOIL .... ahhhhh yes!
This is it. This is the one. This is what I wanted all along and just took awhile to complete my journey and rest here. And I mean the rest part literally. Man, after 30 years of trying most everything out there, I’m back home and elbow deep in living soils! This is where I started, but that was back when we threw out soil after every run. Screw that! I have just jumped into the deep end with Coot style mixes and huge 250 gallon raised planters. Personally, I am OVER the complications of hydro and ready for more time for other projects. Once these big beds were constructed and filled with organic goodness it becam totally hands off. I’m no longer playing mad scientist every nite and trying to tell the plants what they want and when I think they need it. Now it’s all there, ready for the plant to take it as it sees fit of its own accord. These are BY FAR the healthiest appearing runs I have ever seen. From start to finish, just healthy and vigorous. No daily inputs, no top dressing. Just water only start to finish. Just some foliar IPM applications to stay on top of the bugs. CMH 315 s and 600 wat HPS pegged up high for lots of cross lighting. No co2, just air exchange and a de huey.
And the terps...? OFF THE FRIGGIN CHARTS!! I was hoping for better terpenes but was blown away by the difference between this and the coco. Night and day man! So much sweeter on the palate. I have heard soil guys in the past ranting about this and saying they can taste the chemicals in hydro but really wasn’t buying it. Now I’m SOLD.
I saw you mention that you want the best quality product for you and your lady. Dude, this is it.
I’m sure other will chime in with other points of view. Listen to all and make your own way buddy!
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom