Soil ph and EC compared to Hydro ph and EC

• Thread starter singleshottz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

singleshottz

Hi everyone,
I have been growing for around 6 months using hydro (dwc) and I have got things dialled in quite well. The plants are healthy from clone to finish. I use a simple 3 part feed/nutrient recommended by a buddy and try not to overfeed.
Unfortunately I have had to take down the hydro setup to move location, and at the new place I am not going to be able to run hydro due to the noise of the pump etc so I am switching to dirt/soil and pots.

My question is, what EC and ph is good for soil/dirt plants compared to hydro for clone/veg and bloom? My current EC for hydro dwc is approximately - clone 1ec, veg around 1.5ec and bloom 2+EC. Should I be giving a higher EC in soil? Also I have read mixed reports about adjusting ph for soil, some say yes, some say no as the soil buffers the ph.

The more I read online the more confused I get 😩 Thank you in advance for your time/help

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

There are a lot of different approaches to this. I'll just tell you what I do in soil which has worked pretty well. In amended mixes like Happy Frog or Ocean Forest, I find that there's a pretty strong buffering effect. If my inputs are anywhere in the range of 5.0 to 7.0 pH, it seems like the runoff is around 5.8-6.0. In terms of EC, I think it's important to remember that as the soil dries, the soil EC rises. I don't feed much above 1.2 EC in soil, but that's with fairly long dry-backs. Not saying any of that is "right." Just that it's worked well for me.

Top Bottom