Soil Question

• Thread starter popa thizzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

popa thizzz

So Im growing ak47 northern lights borderliner and mangolisous I bought fox farm ocean forest soil and I had bug problems up the @ss they r in flower now and I finally got rid of the bugs but my question is i don't want this problem the next go around I heard that soil kept outside is prone for that so I was wondering Is there a thing I can do like set it outside to dry out before use or what so I don't have bug problems from the beginning

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

You can buy soil that is bug free. I have been using pro-mix hp bug free for almost 3 years
you can cook you soil at low temps (providing you have a big enough over)
You can aggressively install a IPM to control bugs

I wouldn't be so sure about your bugs being gone in flower

P

popa thizzz

You can buy soil that is bug free. I have been using pro-mix hp bug free for almost 3 years
you can cook you soil at low temps (providing you have a big enough over)
You can aggressively install a IPM to control bugs

I wouldn't be so sure about your bugs being gone in flower
Well I made sure I saw no sightings before throwing into flower and haven't noticed any since but how do they make it bug
free

Jbellsmoke

Jbellsmoke

So Im growing ak47 northern lights borderliner and mangolisous I bought fox farm ocean forest soil and I had bug problems up the @ss they r in flower now and I finally got rid of the bugs but my question is i don't want this problem the next go around I heard that soil kept outside is prone for that so I was wondering Is there a thing I can do like set it outside to dry out before use or what so I don't have bug problems from the beginning
I'm a soil grower as well fairly new but have minor problems with pests so far. I find when soil stays wet for period of time pests start to appear. What I do after a water or feed is to get some air across soil to dry it up a bit on top, seems to be working for me. I also heard and started to grow companion plants like oregano and basil with my cannabis in the room. Read that the oils of the herbs are a natural way to rid pests. Also use chilli pepper and garlic sprays seems to help.i also veg my plants in summer time outside and bring them in to flower and these methods work. Few years doing these things and never had a serious pest problem yet.

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

Am I learning that certain bagged soils have unhealthy bugs from the start?
If stored outside anywhere along the line from production to final selling point bugs are likely. Some say soil companies actually add some bugs like nematodes etc
I am loyal to promix as its always been bug free for me. (granted its peat not soil)

zeNeTixGeNre

zeNeTixGeNre

wet soil =
That's why a lot of growers grow in coco.
buys are in coco also (gnats love coco)
Buy your medium from a reputable and fast selling company that keeps there store clean
practice pest management
quarantine any incoming clones
and you should be fine

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Not if you get coco in compressed bricks.

wet soil =

buys are in coco also (gnats love coco)
Buy your medium from a reputable and fast selling company that keeps there store clean
practice pest management
quarantine any incoming clones
and you should be fine

BudBogart

BudBogart

Thank you all for the enlightenment. I probably knew that somewhere, someplace, bugs would get in the bag of soil, but I didn't know it was so common place.

P

popa thizzz

Thank you all for the enlightenment. I probably knew that somewhere, someplace, bugs would get in the bag of soil, but I didn't know it was so common place.
For sure I didn't think anything of it til I had fungus gnats after using ffof and saw them flying around at my hydro store

J

Jfrezy

Try to only buy soil from a store that keeps it indoors. It's worth paying a few extra bucks for soil kept inside.

Monster762

Monster762

Most big stores like Home Depot store soil out in the rain. That causes issues I think. I went to the bottom of 3 cf bales of promix and got one I'm pretty sure never got rained on. I opened it and sure enough bone dry. Made my own soil. No fertilizers either. All that bagged store soil is suspect in my opinion. I poured in layers into construction bags and mixed in neem oil and perelite n sand and worm castings. My new soil bug free. Took a lot of work though. Then got to moisten it before you use it or water just runs off of it.

Leew421

Leew421

Honestly you can bake any soil that is questionable. I prefer soil stored inside myself

King Julien

King Julien

I grew in soil for a while and had nothing but pests and problems from day one. Tried a few different companies and some were way better than others but I still had the problems that wound up just getting passed around thanks to a perpetual harvest set-up. Molds, gnats, mites, the works.

Switched to sterile DWC and my problems all went away in one cycle despite not stopping my perpetual and transplanting all my vegging clones from soil into DWC.

If you really like soil though definitely stay away from chain store soils, anything stored outside, anything that seems super old, musty smelling, etc. Keep an eye out for signs of bugs. And even after all of that pasteurize it in the oven.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I'm a soil grower as well fairly new but have minor problems with pests so far. I find when soil stays wet for period of time pests start to appear. What I do after a water or feed is to get some air across soil to dry it up a bit on top, seems to be working for me. I also heard and started to grow companion plants like oregano and basil with my cannabis in the room. Read that the oils of the herbs are a natural way to rid pests. Also use chilli pepper and garlic sprays seems to help.i also veg my plants in summer time outside and bring them in to flower and these methods work. Few years doing these things and never had a serious pest problem yet.
i have found that after i feed or water,top coating the soil with ewc keeps them at bay,flys dont even like the shit,i start all my seedling outside and found this to work very well,as stated above ibm is good even if you dont have bugs,depending on temp in your room or tent you can also add nemtodes,temp range 65 to 90 they stay alive,under or over that temp they die,with my soil i cook i always cook this time of year and the first frezze i spread it a inch thick on a tarp and let mama nature kill them shits,after a couple frost,i bring inside in totes and start feeding the soil with LAB and add oatmeal to keep the web going,,sounds like your hydro store kept the bags outside,and got rained on

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I grew in soil for a while and had nothing but pests and problems from day one. Tried a few different companies and some were way better than others but I still had the problems that wound up just getting passed around thanks to a perpetual harvest set-up. Molds, gnats, mites, the works.

Switched to sterile DWC and my problems all went away in one cycle despite not stopping my perpetual and transplanting all my vegging clones from soil into DWC.

If you really like soil though definitely stay away from chain store soils, anything stored outside, anything that seems super old, musty smelling, etc. Keep an eye out for signs of bugs. And even after all of that pasteurize it in the oven.
if you get a bag that smells musky put it back it is anerobic,if they drop price buy half you can work it back,but check it out,if your soil is mixed with compost your gonna have bugs period,some of those bugs are good,,but as far as bag soil goes,dr,earth with aleo vera and ewc is the best i ever bought,i dont waste my money on bag soils anymore ,i build my own,and microbes keep there ass at bay

Top Bottom