Soil sog grower needs mentor to switch to hydro

• Thread starter Northwest Skunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

420blunts

nws, please let me know what brand and model ppm meter you are using when u get a chance. asked you a few days ago but you probably missed it. as always, thanks bro.

N

Northwest Skunk

SRHninja
Im blown away when i see that bed, it makes me wanna run upstairs and go to work i would def love for you to stop by my thread in general indoor titled "yezzir im back and i need direction" this is brilliant
Thanks I'll check out your thread no prob.

marski420
That third pic is NUTS NWS.. I have to know the yeild you pull off of that mini forest.. do tell when you know
It should be between 2.4 to 2.6/light I just chopped a lower than average size plant down ahead of time (needed some smoke badly) and I weighed it to get an idea of where I'm at per plant and it was 64 grams wet trimmed bud. I get around 22% of that after dried so that's 14.08 grams x 675 plants=9504 grams/454gr=20.93 lbs/9 lights=2.32lbs per light and I still have time to go till the chop where they'll be swelling more with their flush and most of the other plants are bigger so I should see more around the 2.5/light range when they're totally finished.

I tweaked my feed schedule and temps this run to get more tighter harder, sugary colorful buds this time and with this tweaking it will drop the yield a little bit but get a much better product in the end. I can do a different feed/temp schedule and get a bit bigger buds for a bit better yield but the buds would be fluffier and not as dank in the end.

I'll be sure to post the yield in the end.

Sorry this thread is turning into a bit of a grow diary and I didn't intend that but yes I'm addicted to sharing my grows..

joeca1i
Thanks

marski420

marski420

Damn just over 20 LBS thats awesome bro, are you a care giver or are you just in it for yourself and or comercial? Also what size ammounts do you sell to your customers and for what prices? Ex. Do you only sell Oz's and higher, or do you sell 1/8's and 1/4's too?

Oh ya, what size room is that.. sorry if you have mentioned it before

One love homie, love that setup

I

Islander

NWS.... I have been growing isn soil for a while now and because i am moving to new permanent location (in the northwest) where I have two 17'x7' side by side basement block rooms with great ventilation potential I have been trying to design my ideal grow rooms. I was determined to go to hydro after always being a soil guy but you have about convinced me to do otherwise. I can do 4 1000w lights down each side of the room. making 2 17' x 4' beds covered by 4 hoods. So 4'3"x4' per light. I am thinking 72 plants (from young clones.... gspot) all in one of 4 total 8'6'x4' trays about 7 inches deep. Room total 288. Do you plant these clones straight into the soil next to each other with about 7" spacing? Are the trays lined for waterproofing and do they have drains on the bottom? Would you use HPS throughout? I am thinking about a 2 - 2.5 week veg. My prior soil grows usually needed a light daily watering. Are all of you recommending less watering but more water. I have only used Botanacaire nutes. Thanks for all of this, you have been somewhat inspirational. Well done.

M

mrdizzle

dont change a thing homie

I love those hoods and thr 5x5 footprint, because that ups a 1000ws from 16sqft to 25sqft

I

Islander

I keep reading this thread over and over again wondering if I have missed anything. You are using 9 1000w lights over how many what sized trays? Did I read in here somewhere that you are spacing your clones about 7" apart from each other and you have a total of 675 plants? The trays are about 7" deep and you are using your soil over again? I heard mention of Sunshine mix, I have been using Foxfarm Ocean Forest and adding a lot of perlite. It is expensive and a real chore to replace all of it after each grow.

N

Northwest Skunk

marski429
Damn just over 20 LBS thats awesome bro, are you a care giver or are you just in it for yourself and or comercial? Also what size ammounts do you sell to your customers and for what prices? Ex. Do you only sell Oz's and higher, or do you sell 1/8's and 1/4's too?

Oh ya, what size room is that.. sorry if you have mentioned it before

One love homie, love that setup
Med yes and entrepreneur yes. Don't think discussing selling the herb on an open forum is the best idea though..
20' x 14' room

islander
NWS.... I have been growing isn soil for a while now and because i am moving to new permanent location (in the northwest) where I have two 17'x7' side by side basement block rooms with great ventilation potential I have been trying to design my ideal grow rooms. I was determined to go to hydro after always being a soil guy but you have about convinced me to do otherwise. I can do 4 1000w lights down each side of the room. making 2 17' x 4' beds covered by 4 hoods. So 4'3"x4' per light. I am thinking 72 plants (from young clones.... gspot) all in one of 4 total 8'6'x4' trays about 7 inches deep. Room total 288. Do you plant these clones straight into the soil next to each other with about 7" spacing? Are the trays lined for waterproofing and do they have drains on the bottom? Would you use HPS throughout? I am thinking about a 2 - 2.5 week veg. My prior soil grows usually needed a light daily watering. Are all of you recommending less watering but more water. I have only used Botanacaire nutes. Thanks for all of this, you have been somewhat inspirational. Well done.
If you can put your beds tight together on wheels you will get a much better yield than if the beds are separated. The overlapping light with beds close together will give you a huge difference in yield. With them on wheels you just move them apart when you need to water or prune, etc.
My beds are lined with plastic vapor barrier sheeting. The same kind use in houses on the insides of framed walls. Pond liner is an even better bed liner but it is more expensive.
You don't need drain holes if you are careful with your feeding not to over feed and burn your plants.
Yes the plants are planted in the soil all 7" apart and right up to the edges of the beds. I use a home made peg board that I use to press into the dirt to mark my holes for planting. I can mark out around 30 to 50 plant holes at a time with the peg board rather than measuring and marking each plant hole individually. This saves a huge amount of time and labor.
The optimum thing to do for lighting if you have dual ballasts is to run a combo of hps and mh bulbs in veg and then straight hps after flipping to flower.
I think the optimum feeding for maximum growth is to water less volume more frequently but unfortunately I can only feed every 4 to 5 days so I use a large res and feed heavier less frequently and get great results with it.
Botanicare are excellent nutes. Thanks for the props.

mrdizzle
dont change a thing homie

I love those hoods and thr 5x5 footprint, because that ups a 1000ws from 16sqft to 25sqft
Ya I don't think I'm going to change things right now but I want to do a smaller 2 lighter dedicated specifically for trying my system with hydro feeding.

I

Islander

Thanks for the feedback. I misstated my room sizes. They are side by side rooms and are 17 ft by 11 ft. Actually listed as 18x12 but the actual interior dimensions are closer to 17x11. The shelves/trays on wheels are an excellent idea and i will incorporate that for sure. I will go with what is basically 4 beds of 4ft x 4ft down each wall and a 3ft+ walking space down the middle. With the beds on wheels I will be able to push them to the middle to get to the inside/wall plants when nesessary. I will make a 4ftx4ft peg board that will make planting easy as you have suggested. About watering/feeding,... I would feel that out as far as how much and how often but I was wondering if you have any problem watering with a wand over top of all of the plants like that and soaking them down. You certainly are not getting underneath them over that distance are you? I would worry about mold and rot when you are soaking the plants with all of those rich nutrients? Another thing is ventilation. I was planning on 2 8 inch air intakes per room with hepa filters. And still working out wether to vent out through the lights with glass on or to vent the whole room through the lights by leaving the glass off. I am in to my 2nd week of bloom on my last soil grow in my current location. I use 5gal smart pots and in a similar sized room have 82 plants from young clones. Master Kush. 4 weeks of veg. I have never gotten close to 2+lbs per light. Thanks again for all of your insight. Super helpful.

I

Islander

Another thing that I meant to mention.... getting a bit too inquisitive here. By my calculations, a 4ft x 4ft bed would have about 50 plants if planted 7"apart. Does that jive with what you are doing?

N

Northwest Skunk

Islander
Thanks for the feedback. I misstated my room sizes. They are side by side rooms and are 17 ft by 11 ft. Actually listed as 18x12 but the actual interior dimensions are closer to 17x11. The shelves/trays on wheels are an excellent idea and i will incorporate that for sure. I will go with what is basically 4 beds of 4ft x 4ft down each wall and a 3ft+ walking space down the middle. With the beds on wheels I will be able to push them to the middle to get to the inside/wall plants when nesessary. I will make a 4ftx4ft peg board that will make planting easy as you have suggested. About watering/feeding,... I would feel that out as far as how much and how often but I was wondering if you have any problem watering with a wand over top of all of the plants like that and soaking them down. You certainly are not getting underneath them over that distance are you? I would worry about mold and rot when you are soaking the plants with all of those rich nutrients? Another thing is ventilation. I was planning on 2 8 inch air intakes per room with hepa filters. And still working out wether to vent out through the lights with glass on or to vent the whole room through the lights by leaving the glass off. I am in to my 2nd week of bloom on my last soil grow in my current location. I use 5gal smart pots and in a similar sized room have 82 plants from young clones. Master Kush. 4 weeks of veg. I have never gotten close to 2+lbs per light. Thanks again for all of your insight. Super helpful.
Yes, with a wand it's no problem to soak the beds everywhere. It will look like rows of corn. You should find a watering wand that hooks to a garden hose that hooks to an electric pump that sucks the water/feed from your res. The want I have has an extension on it so it can extend from 30" to 50" that with your arm length you could feed as far as 5 1/2 feet. You just go up the row, down the row, then to the next row over and over..
The plants eat the water/feed no problem. I've never had any problems with mold or root rot or anything like it. I use a lot of perlite in my soiless mix so it has good air and water holding ability.
With a venting room and no co2 you will not get a maximum yield by far. Do you have the funds to get an a/c and seal the room up?

N

Northwest Skunk

Islander
Another thing that I meant to mention.... getting a bit too inquisitive here. By my calculations, a 4ft x 4ft bed would have about 50 plants if planted 7"apart. Does that jive with what you are doing?
Yup that's about right. You will have to prune a lot of leaves off of the plants around day 24 of flower so that light and air can get at the mid and lower buds or the yield will not be what it should be. With air and light getting to all the buds that's what makes them hard, colorful and heavy. If you leave all the leaves on the plants your mid and lower buds will all be airy, light lime green, and light weight.

N

Northwest Skunk

Prime ripeness 100% cloudy trichs. Time to put these girls to rest. The smell is so powerful and pungent. There's so much resin if I touch them my fingers stick together like crazy glue. I'm in love with og..very powerful, very pretty, a bit fussy, a longer flower time but so worth it.

9lightOGchopday66flowerA
9lightOGchopday66flowerB
9lightOGchopday66flowerC
9lightOGchopday66flowerD
9lightOGchopday66flowerE
9lightOGchopday66flowerF
9lightOGchopday66flowerG
9lightOGchopday66flowerH
9lightOGchopday66flowerI
9lightOGchopday66flowerJ
N

Northwest Skunk

Prime ripeness 100% cloudy trichs. Time to put these girls to rest. The smell is so powerful and pungent. There's so much resin if I touch them my fingers stick together like crazy glue. I'm in love with og..very powerful, very pretty, a bit fussy, a longer flower time but so worth it.

9lightOGchopday66flowerA
9lightOGchopday66flowerB
9lightOGchopday66flowerC
9lightOGchopday66flowerD
9lightOGchopday66flowerE
9lightOGchopday66flowerF

420blunts

hey nws, what day/night temps do you keep your room at now with og ? what day/night temps did you run before to get more yield but fluffier buds ? also, what is the brand n model ppm meter you using? sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread but i'm not allowed to use pm. thanks in advance bro.

I

Islander

NWS, those are some incredible pictures... almost any one of which are "foldout" quality. Well done. Yes, it is an option to seal the room and add a/c and then enableing a CO2 system to be added. I am hesitant to deal with the hassle? Added expense? I am not trying to squeeze every possible gram out of each grow but am trying to maximize yield while still having a pleasurable experience (Hah!). The more complicated systems you add, the more stress and maintenance you are taking on. However, I do understand your situation. I wonder what difference in yield I am sacrificing by staying with a ventilated room with no added CO2?

N

Northwest Skunk

Don't know why that post with the first pics got posted twice. Can I remove one of them?

jimbobthe3rd
That is sex.
Yup it is lol.

420blunts
hey nws, what day/night temps do you keep your room at now with og ? what day/night temps did you run before to get more yield but fluffier buds ? also, what is the brand n model ppm meter you using? sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread but i'm not allowed to use pm. thanks in advance bro.
In veg I keep my temps a bit warmer; ambient (surrounding room temp)around 78f day/72 night. When they start showing flowers I drop temps 2 degrees, then when they have been a few weeks into flowering I drop it another two degrees. Around week 5 flower I continuously gradualy drop the night time temps until they are only 60f night about 5 days before chop. My day temps I also drop to the lowest at 70f right before chop..week 8-9 day temp is set at 74f.

Having your bulbs 20" away is a good measurement for og. They stretch a lot if its too warm and the buds get quite airy/stretchy if the bulbs are too close and it's too warm for them.

A very important thing to remember is that just cause your temp stat setting says a certain number that doesn't necessarily mean that is what the temp actually is at your canopy level. Air circulation, temp stat calibration, closeness of bulbs, etc. all impact what your canopy level actually is.
At auto supply stores or some hardware stores you can get small lazer temp gauges that you can point anywhere in your room to give you an exact accurate idea of where there are hot or cool spots in your rooms and what exactly your plant canopy temperature actually is.

Usually if your cooling temp stat says example 75f your canopy level will be 3 to 6 degrees warmer than that.

Very cool night time temps late in flower will bring out a lot of nice colors and a lot of resin. The plants put out extra resin to protect their flowers from the cold temps.

Islander
NWS, those are some incredible pictures... almost any one of which are "foldout" quality. Well done. Yes, it is an option to seal the room and add a/c and then enableing a CO2 system to be added. I am hesitant to deal with the hassle? Added expense? I am not trying to squeeze every possible gram out of each grow but am trying to maximize yield while still having a pleasurable experience (Hah!). The more complicated systems you add, the more stress and maintenance you are taking on. However, I do understand your situation. I wonder what difference in yield I am sacrificing by staying with a ventilated room with no added CO2?
Around 20 to 30%

mack 10

mack 10

great stuff North west skunk, always loved your grows.have fun trimmin your girls;~)

Latest posts

Top Bottom