Solo Cup Challenge - Inspired by Bean throwing Day

• Thread starter tomatoesarecooltoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sportyridr

sportyridr

The hammerhead I use is home made and the boost was a freebie in with my monkey nutrients tester pack. Its pretty cheap compared to canna boost. You must have learned one thing about me by now mate, I don't like to spend money if I can help it 💸🤑.
I have started the diy 9/18 HH and its working nicely, i was talkin about Boost...free is good cause pricing is whoa lol

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I love cup grows! It's been a long time, but my avitar was from a cup grow.
Check these cola's out.
I put 12 under a 250 hps in a 2x2 tent.
I trained em to be single cola, and I bred the strain for easy trimming.
If ya look against the wall, you'll see the cups.
Grown in straight pearlite, using Lucas formula.
That second bucket, with good genetics, grown correctly will yield over 2 lbs indoors under a 600 hps
87334 1
20170404 013536

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
So, much of the key of this project looks to be daily care, sunlight, and training. Seems to me that strain selection might be a big component that's a wildcard.

Keeping roots in the cup, with minimal media. I might just set this up on an IV drip bag, I've got sitting around.

Fudge

Fudge

So, much of the key of this project looks to be daily care, sunlight, and training. Seems to me that strain selection might be a big component that's a wildcard.

Keeping roots in the cup, with minimal media. I might just set this up on an IV drip bag, I've got sitting around.
Once she was trained and flowering I've done nothing but fill her little res up and pluck the odd leaf off. I've surprised myself how easy it is once the daily routine is over. I'm going to build a rack that holds 5/6 cups that I can flood it and let them wick it up like the punch does. I've got 5 or 6 seeds that I don't have room to pop but want a taste and a mother from. So this way is ideal.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Once she was trained and flowering I've done nothing but fill her little res up and pluck the odd leaf off. I've surprised myself how easy it is once the daily routine is over. I'm going to build a rack that holds 5/6 cups that I can flood it and let them wick it up like the punch does. I've got 5 or 6 seeds that I don't have room to pop but want a taste and a mother from. So this way is ideal.

Yea, seems like a idea way of seeding various strains in a controlled fashion. Will be good way of increasing the collection of strains. You could also do these by the dozens and probably do really well.

These are my starter prospects, I've got a few hundred more coming in behind, so I might try some of those as well. But my guess, is that if you've got the technique down well, most of this is going to be strain specific, some doing better than others. Currently, they are all still in shot glass size cups, but I'll transfer a few, once the balls dense up some more. I've been taking out a bit of coco, then adding some in the bottom, so the roots can grow into it again.... do it in layers, then when I transfer to the solo cups, I'll plant it shallow, and do the same thing....

Then maybe I can remove tiny bits of the media as time goes on, and fill in all the voids.
Personally, I think these have a way to go before I even need upgrade them. I'm at least still a week or more out.

IMG 20210426 035320714
Last edited:
Fudge

Fudge

Yea, seems like a idea way of seeding various strains in a controlled fashion. These are my starter prospects, I've got a few hundred more coming in behind, so I might try some of those as well. But my guess, is that if you've got the technique down well, most of this is going to be strain specific, some doing better than others. Currently, they are all still in shot glass size cups, but I'll transfer a few, once the balls dense up some more. I've been taking out a bit of coco, then adding some in the bottom, so the roots can grow into it again.... do it in layers, then when I transfer to the solo cups, I'll plant it shallow, and do the same thing....

Then maybe I can remove tiny bits of the media as time goes on, and fill in all the voids.
Might have to have a look at the perpetual solo cup thread. I'm sure we can all learn from each other. Would love to watch your progress with them too

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Might have to have a look at the perpetual solo cup thread. I'm sure we can all learn from each other. Would love to watch your progress with them too
where's that thread? I'm certainly interested in developing this technique well, because not only can you do a bunch of flowers in a small space, you can vet a lot more cultivars, and produce wider selections to pick proper males, phenos, or mothers.

Plus, you've got overall choices, so it's an excellent tool for people with space considerations, who still want to grow wider variety and selections.
Looks like you got to get good at bending it into shape, so it stands up properly, and doesn't fall over, and I'm really into training plants, in the extreme. But I prefer to do it without taking any of the plant material off, if at all possible.

Last edited:
Fudge

Fudge

where's that thread? I'm certainly interested in developing this technique well, because not only can you do a bunch of flowers in a small space, you can vet a lot more cultivars, and produce wider selections to pick proper males, phenos, or mothers.

Plus, you've got overall choices, so it's an excellent tool for people with space considerations, who still want to grow wider variety and selections.
Looks like you got to get good at bending it into shape, so it stands up properly, and doesn't fall over, and I'm really into training plants, in the extreme. But I prefer to do it without taking any of the plant material off, if at all possible.
Seems like the op is no longer here and the posts pointing to it have been cleaned up so I guess it's gone then. I've always been a bender and used to take time to keep everything, with an end date there was a limit on veg time so I had to lollipop. I'll check out that thread you posted mate and keep an eye on ur stuff too

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Seems like the op is no longer here and the posts pointing to it have been cleaned up so I guess it's gone then. I've always been a bender and used to take time to keep everything, with an end date there was a limit on veg time so I had to lollipop. I'll check out that thread you posted mate and keep an eye on ur stuff too
Yea, I like your training techniques for sure. Very organized. My guess is your a bit more on the obsessive side of things, than me. Mine will turn out more like grownsince95 plant that's become a leaning tower of piza, because I never try never to remove, just train, and bend. (plus I also have occasonal dirty grow rooms) I like your ideas for securing it also. Especially in this exercise. I think having the main cola intact will generally hold the most budding sites. It's just a guess on my part, but it always seems to pan out to be true for me.

It might be these newer light's I've got also, (samsung 301H) because I'm noticing much closer, tighter inter-nodes these days. Keeping them tight early on usually pays off later for me down the road, but I have run into mold issues from time to time, when they get too fat. (but certainly won't be an issue on this grow).

Too bad I don't have any of those tiny purple hazes sitting around sprouted, I think they would be perfect for this project. But I've also got a really old Acopulco gold (from 1999) that's coming around, very slow growing and has hella tight internoding.

Like I said b4, after you've mastered the basic technique, I think this is far more strain dependent than anything else. Seems like some plants do really well in closed confined spaces, and others don't.

Last edited:
Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey Fudge and Grownsince.
im still lurking in the background here. Still nothing impressive on weight, only really got one good nugget out of the auto flower.

you right I did pollinate, unfortunately I’m still not seeing any signs of seed development. I hope my timing on the pollination was right, but I’m having more doubts every day.

If anyone out there has so:e advice for the breeding procedure please let me know.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Hey Fudge and Grownsince.
im still lurking in the background here. Still nothing impressive on weight, only really got one good nugget out of the auto flower.

you right I did pollinate, unfortunately I’m still not seeing any signs of seed development. I hope my timing on the pollination was right, but I’m having more doubts every day.

If anyone out there has so:e advice for the breeding procedure please let me know.
I only pollenated a plant once and I grew the male out next time her the whole time so she got loads of loads.

Top Bottom