Some sort of nitrogen or magnesium lockout

• Thread starter Kingjoshh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
az2000

az2000

Lol. I'm using LED. My plants/leaves are just as big as when I used HPS.

I grew an indica plant under household LED bulbs. The lower fan leaves were *freakishly* large. Bigger than my hand. I should dig up that photo. I've never seen fan leaves that large. It looked like an "elephant ear" plant.

[FWIW: I'm not a big fan of LED grow lights. They work. But, I felt like I got better finished buds from T5HO for short grow spaces, and CMH for taller. Probably something about the UV causing more crystals, terpenes. But, they definitely work. Before I ditched them, I grew some really big buds using nothing but household LED bulbs at about 30w/sq ft. For comparison, I use CMH at 35w/sq ft. T5HO at 40-45w/sq ft.

Not trying to invalidate anyone's joy with their LEDs. But, I didn't want to sound like I'm a big fan either. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about it was all the scammy stuff out there. It's like a *shark* tank -- people selling cheap LEDs for high-end prices. You never know what spectrum you're getting. People buy lower end and run it at 50-60w/sq ft. That's HPS territory. What's the point? Just run CMH at lower w/sq ft and get better results. The whole realm seemed subjectively driven. Pepple buy into some overpriced hype, and then talk it up because they have an investment in it and need to feel good about it. (It's hard to get objective thoughts about any fixture.).

But, they do grow. Sorry for going on a tangent. I just didn't want my fan-leaf remark above to sound like I'm on the bandwagon. Ultimately, I felt they lacked some finished quality. I got dense nuggets. But, not as much crystal as I'd like. Not as much terpenes. I think it was lack of UV.]

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I grew an indica plant under household LED bulbs. The lower fan leaves were *freakishly* large. Bigger than my hand. I should dig up that photo. I've never seen fan leaves that large. It looked like an "elephant ear" plant.

[FWIW: I'm not a big fan of LED grow lights. They work. But, I felt like I got better finished buds from T5HO for short grow spaces, and CMH for taller. Probably something about the UV causing more crystals, terpenes. But, they definitely work. Before I ditched them, I grew some really big buds using nothing but household LED bulbs at about 30w/sq ft. For comparison, I use CMH at 35w/sq ft. T5HO at 40-45w/sq ft.

Not trying to invalidate anyone's joy with their LEDs. But, I didn't want to sound like I'm a big fan either. I think the biggest thing I didn't like about it was all the scammy stuff out there. It's like a *shark* tank -- people selling cheap LEDs for high-end prices. You never know what spectrum you're getting. People buy lower end and run it at 50-60w/sq ft. That's HPS territory. What's the point? Just run CMH at lower w/sq ft and get better results. The whole realm seemed subjectively driven. Pepple buy into some overpriced hype, and then talk it up because they have an investment in it and need to feel good about it. (It's hard to get objective thoughts about any fixture.).

But, they do grow. Sorry for going on a tangent. I just didn't want my fan-leaf remark above to sound like I'm on the bandwagon. Ultimately, I felt they lacked some finished quality. I got dense nuggets. But, not as much crystal as I'd like. Not as much terpenes. I think it was lack of UV.]
One of my ledsis a uv reflector so that might help a lil bit. But I ageee I hate the led market

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Likely just a slight mobile nutrient deficiency. Could just need a hair more N or even Mg or Fe.
I wouldnt normally recommend it, but you could probably add 150ppm Nitrate based calmag to your feed for a few waterings.

Also you should remove all that leaf litter from the pots. Thats a breeding ground for bugs and fungus.
Okay I will do that. I put the leaves there to keep moisture in the soil. There’s very Little chances of bugs getting into my tent. But fungus I didn’t know off 🤭Ty for the heads up

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The old adage you get what you pay for. LED unlike other lights has such a difference in quality, spectrums efficiency and the list goes on.

Personally I don't think you can say the word LED and lump them together. I think it needs to be treated comparing LEDs individually like any other fixture. This is why there is such a wide variety of reviews on them.

Tbh I'm burnt out of trying to defend them as just as good or better as any HID for this reason. Because some are just simply not and I would go as far as saying most are simply not but there are some I consider much better. Probably the best advice is if it works for you then why change it.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

The old adage you get what you pay for. LED unlike other lights has such a difference in quality, spectrums efficiency and the list goes on.

Personally I don't think you can say the word LED and lump them together. I think it needs to be treated comparing LEDs individually like any other fixture. This is why there is such a wide variety of reviews on them.

az2000

az2000

One of my ledsis a uv reflector so that might help a lil bit. But I ageee I hate the led market

I bought some reptile UV CFLs which I ran in separate reflectors (clamp on from HomeDepot). I think it helped. But, it was complicated. Never sure how much time I was supposed to use it. I was adding w/sq ft -- which diminished the appeal of LED's lower w/sq ft. I wasn't sure of the lumen or UV deprecation of those CFLs. I was getting mentally tired of it all. It felt like a religion (focused on making it work; denominational wars.). I remember seeing one guy running Mars at 80w/sq ft. He had *excellent* results. Big, fat buds (not sure about the terpenes & crystals). But, 80w? He was growing autoflowers and could have gotten that from T5HO at 45w/sq ft.

I was like @Aqua Man . It was more partisianism than I wanted in my life; so many caveats to explain to someone new. It was like inducting someone into a new religion. And, invevitbly someone would be rubbed wrong because they used some flim-flam brand that I'd advise against (objectively).

But, I got some dense and large buds from even household LED bulbs (9.5w Cree BR30 floodlights; 9w Phillips or GE Brightsticks, each with the plastic diffuser cut off. But, you have to use a ground-fault outlet so you don't electrocute yourself by accidentally touching an exposed surface.). I've recommended the household LED bulbs to new growers. I think that's an inexpensive way to get started without buying into a fixture. Especially for just one plant. Those lights can be used as supplemental (side) lights for later grows using a "real" top-light fixture. They're handy. Run cooler than CFLs. I think distributing light around plants is the way to go. I think 30w/sq ft spread around like that is like 35w/sq ft from the top.

I wanted to use LED because I'm in a hot environment. I wanted cooler temps in the summer. But, now that CMH has remote-mount ballasts. And, I found some Fulham "Racehorse" T5HO ballasts that can be remote mounted, those lights seemed more cost effective, overall. Very high end LED would run cooler. But, it was hard to tell what was legitimately high end versus the flim-flam. Not sure the difference in temperature was worth it. The real stuff was very expensive last time I looked.

I wouldn't run LED down. The ordinary household lightbulbs are a low-friction way for a new grower to start.

Last edited:
Top Bottom