Some tonics, Elixirs, and backyard fixers

• Thread starter beanz240
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

beanz240

Now i have been concentrating on my fruits, veggies, all around backyard gardens for many years. My grandma always taught me to live off the land. So here i'll share some of the wisdom she passed on to me. These are tried and true to me.

First things first i'm going to give the main ingredients and their purposes.

Ammonia- This is a readily source of nitrogen. But be carefull it's very strong so be sure to dilute.

Antiseptic Mouthwash- It does the same in your garden it does for your mouth, destroys the disease germs that cause harm to your plants.

Baby shampoo/Liquid dish soap- Helps to soften the soil and remove dust, dirt, and pollution from your plants so osmosis and photosynthesis can occur more easily.

Beer- Helps release nutrients that are locked up in the soil and puts them to work making your plants stronger and healthier.

Cola(not that diet crap)- helps feed the good bacteria that condition the soil.

Epsom salts- Deepen colour,thickens petals and improves root structure.

Sugar, Molasses, and corn syrup- Stimulate chlorophyll formation in plants.

Tea- Contains tannic acids that help plants digest food faster and easier.

Tobacco- It acts as a poison to bugs when they ingest it.

Urine- Has a powerfull smell that sends critters(deer,gophers,etc) running.

Whiskey- Provides nutrients and is a mild disinfectant that also keep bugs away.

I am going to continue with some mixes i make and have for many years. Just give me a few minutes please as i have hundreds and i'm going to find the most benificial ones :)

B

beanz240

Brown grass? Dull greens in the yard? try this..

The All season "green-up
1 can of beer
1 cup of ammonia
1/2 cup of liquid dish soap
1/2 cup of liquid lawn food
1/2 cup of molasses or clear corn syrup
Mix all these in a large bucket, pour into a 20 gallon hose end sprayer and saturate your lawn, trees, flowers and veggies every 3 or so weeks through the growing season.

Have a problem with Aphids?

Aphid antidote
1 finely chopped small onion
2 finely chopped medium cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. baby shampoo or dish soap
2 cups of water
Put into a blender and blend on high. let sit overnight and strain through coffee filter.
pour into hand sprayer and apply liberally at the first sign of aphids.

Black spots on roses?
Black spot remover
15 tomato leaves
2 small onions
1/4 cup of rubbing alcohol
Chop the tomato leaves and onions into fine peices and steep in alcohol overnight.
then take a small sponge type paintbrush and apply to tops and bottoms of the infected rose leaves.

Got bugs?
1 cup of murphy's oil soap
1 cup antiseptic mouthwash
1/2 handfull chewing tobacco
1 gallon hot water
Mix together pour in the 20 gallon hose end sprayer and soak the plants

Flowering shrubs...
1 tbsp baby shampoo
1 tsp hydrated lime
1 tsp iron sulfate
mix into 1 gallon of water and spray on flowering shrubs

Blooming flowers...
1 cup beer
2 tbsp fish fert
2 tbsp liquid dish soap
2 tbsp ammonia
2 tbsp whiskey
1 tbsp corn syrup
1 tbsp instant tea
mix together 2 gallons warm water in watering can and drench annuals every 3 weeks or so to keep them blooming strong

ok i must take a short break i will keep going if nobody minds....

B

beanz240

Better idea.....I have so many of these so instead of wasting space on here just posting my crazyness maybe people could post problems or ideas here.....I've got a fixer for most plants from the yard. Tricks on what plants like to be grown next to each other and acsentuate aromas...what most like to eat....And would love to know everyone elses tips and tricks.

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
thanx beanz for the advice got some questions just cant think right now

B

beanz240

Rock on i'd be glad to help out as much as i can. The things i use are mostly from around the house. I'm not great with all this but i am rather confident. i've gotten so much help at this site i am so excited i could share some of my knowledge. So thank you and Logic for putting this forum on here.

B

beanz240

Now i have a few that i wonder how i could incorperate into the mj plant. I have used a couple back in the day on real crappy bagseed for experimental reasons. but a few i havent tried yet. Now i know "it's only a weed" but it would realy tick me off if i ruin and kill off a good strain.
I haven't had this problem indoors yet, knock on wood, but used it outside and it worked well.
The dreaded Spider mite.....does anyone think this might work on mj
outdoors i use
4 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
5 gallon of water
I would mix together and mist the plants till run-off
It works well for veggies.

Fungus fighter
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup powdered milk
1tsp baking soda
1 gallon warm water
mix the molasses, powdered milk, and baking soda into a paste. Put into a stocking and steep for a few hours in the water, strain and spray the plants.

They seem safe and used them on veggies in the past, why not give 'em a try eh?

S

stone69

Very cool Beans... How about fleas and ticks? Or goat-head stickers?

B

beanz240

OOOOOOOOOh stone, tricky tricky tricky. Now i myself haven't had a problem with these at any of my homes yet (knocking on wood), however my brother has. I have tried some of my insect killer spray on them but dont know if they worked.
My brother didn't give them enough time to work and me to "inspect", instead he just got a fogger with flea and tick killer. sorry i couldn't help with that.

Goathead stickers either but am looking for ya and came across something called Puncturevine Weevil. Try Goatheads.com they might be able to give you more info on what your looking for. Also reading further they say its best to just pull em. But if you have a big yard it's alot of work.

S

StonedOwl

Any remedies for bed bugs in your arsenal?

My uncle is having a hell of a time with those, he's become something of a leper. No one will go in his house. lol

L

lidspinner

here is what is in my veggie garden...I will let you tell me where to put what and lets see if I got lucky...lol..I jsut started planting..

Tomoatoes
corn
bush beans
radishes
broccoli
cauliflower
cabbage
onions
lettuce, 4 types....all leaf lettuce
potatoes
sugar snap peas
brussle sprouts

herbs are:

basil
oregeno
tyme
cilantro
fennel seeds
mint

I am addicted to growing stuff, dont matter what. These last few years I have been told to not put this by those, and dont do this when you have onions right there, stuff like that.....but noone has ever told me why? I am interested in the answers to why. Thanks for this thread.

B

beanz240

Hey there Lid, ok so i'm no scientist so take what i say lightly, but with tons of reading and my own experiments and time i've learned a bit.
Companion planting is nothing new, these days scientists have found that some plants send out certain chemicals from their roots and leaves. These substances can repel pests, attract beneficial insects, inhibit a plants ability to grow strong and all around healthier. The study of this is called Allelochemistry.

Lets check out what i have found works good together....

Bush beans
Good neighbors- Beets, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, cukes, and potatoes
Bad neighbors-Basil, kohlrabi, onions

Broccoli
Good-Dill, Mint, potatoes, rosemary, sage
Bad-Tomatoes, pole beans

Cauliflower
Good-Dill, mint, potatoes, rosemary, sage
Bad-Pole beans

Corn
Good-beans, cukes, melons, peas, pumpkins, squash
Bad-Tomatoes

Lettuce
Good-carrots, radishes
Bad-none

Onions
good-Beets, carrots, lettuce, tomatoes
Bad-asparagus, beans, peas

Peas
Good-beans, carrots, corn,cukes, tomatoes, turnips
Bad-late potatoes, onions

Potatoes
good-beans, cabbage, corn, horseradish, peas
Bad-cukes, pumpkins, rutabagas, spinach, squash, tomatoes, turnips

Radishes
Good-cukes, lettuce, peas
Bad-Hyssop

Tomatoes
Good-bush beans, cabbage, carrots, celery, cukes
Bad-pole beans, potatoes

I hope any of this helps to a bountifull harvest for ya

N

Nuglover

Kill fleas indoors with simple table salt. Just sprinkle around baseboards, under furniture, and all over any carpet you have. Just vacuum up after a few days and it looks like you sprinkled salt and pepper on the floor. The fleas feed on the salt when warm blooded prey isn't around and they dry right up. Look like little ground pepper flakes. Never tried this outside but I doubt it would work as well and the salt might be bad for soil and plants. Ticks, got nuthin for 'em. Not sure what a goat head sticker is but if they're anything like a sand spurs, get an old piece of carpet and drag it around the yard upside down. Every sand spur, burr, hitchhiker, and anything similar with become hopelessly lodged in the carpet. Just rollit up when done and dispose.

S

stone69

Very cool Nug...
I have used and swear by the salt for flea's indoors, works everytime. Very cool idea on the sticker's and hitchhicker's.
I'll try to take a picture of these bad ass stickers and post 'em if Beans dont mind...

R

ReelBusy1

Now i have been concentrating on my fruits, veggies, all around backyard gardens for many years. My grandma always taught me to live off the land. So here i'll share some of the wisdom she passed on to me. These are tried and true to me.

First things first i'm going to give the main ingredients and their purposes.

Ammonia- This is a readily source of nitrogen. But be carefull it's very strong so be sure to dilute.

Antiseptic Mouthwash- It does the same in your garden it does for your mouth, destroys the disease germs that cause harm to your plants.

Baby shampoo/Liquid dish soap- Helps to soften the soil and remove dust, dirt, and pollution from your plants so osmosis and photosynthesis can occur more easily.

Beer- Helps release nutrients that are locked up in the soil and puts them to work making your plants stronger and healthier.

Cola(not that diet crap)- helps feed the good bacteria that condition the soil.

Epsom salts- Deepen colour,thickens petals and improves root structure.

Sugar, Molasses, and corn syrup- Stimulate chlorophyll formation in plants.

Tea- Contains tannic acids that help plants digest food faster and easier.

Tobacco- It acts as a poison to bugs when they ingest it.

Urine- Has a powerfull smell that sends critters(deer,gophers,etc) running.

Whiskey- Provides nutrients and is a mild disinfectant that also keep bugs away.

I am going to continue with some mixes i make and have for many years. Just give me a few minutes please as i have hundreds and i'm going to find the most benificial ones :)

great list!

B

beanz240

Hey stone it's all good, i made this thred for great ideas like Nug. Ya know that is just a great idea with the carpet....Just simple genius. Thanks Nug.

Top Bottom