someone please!!!!

• Thread starter 666elsie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

666elsie

Does anyone freeze there BUD while in the process of drying???only one reason too do such a thing!!feedback please..:sign0065:
I need to show this guy this is RONG thing to do...

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

That will mold for sure.
Or make ice cicles and then when thawed get soggy.
Either NO

J

Jalisco Kid

It breaks their trics. It should not get soggy. If you thaw what you smoke it works.JK

R

Rolln J

there is a "dry ice" method - but dont know why you'd do that since it dont break down the chlorophyll

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Plant cells explode in freezing temps. Aside from turning your nugs into brown schwag, its also goodbye trichomes. Those glands just explode off to trichome heaven. Your home boy won't do that again brah......Good Luck dude!!!!!

666elsie

yes the trich's fall off

thats the one and only as to freezing the BUDS.
says he done it all the time!!good way too get all the good stuff..

7rayos

I've put a sealed jar of dried and cured grass in the freezer and when i tried it it lost its smell almost totally. As for your friend, try twisting his arm until he gives up with that nonsense. Even if there's a feeble reason for it, any alteration during the process can only go wrong.

lambrettats1

lambrettats1

freezing the bud youve tended and cared for since the beginning of its life? what next blending it to trim the leaves off haha.tell your mate he should never do this terrible thing.

S

sensei13

The only reason I could see freezing bud, maybe to make trichs brittle for bubblebagging; even then I wouldn't recommend. However refrigerating in the old crisper drawer (in an airtight glass jar), and only AFTER fully drying & sweating, does help the curing process & improve quality in my opinion; especially after a couple extra weeks.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Sounds like an effective way to 'skuff" your weed so you get to keep the keif and dump the molested buds on your patients or customers....commercial shananigans if ya ask me..

Freeze your bud, make trichs brittle, knock them off, and sell the shit and keep the keif dust...I know some jagoffs like that...

Tex

S

Smokin

LIKES FREEZING BUDS...!!! Tell him to stand in hot sunny places and stare at the sun. Tell him to pick up heavy shit and drop it on his feet. He will no doubt like... have even more fun... doing those things too.

P

paco666

what..... is he high.....?

oh right......:icon_animal26:

have him read this thread n he'll stop

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Have him get two equal buds, same size, looks , etc. Do one his way. The other in a fasion like which is detailed here ( on the Farm ). Then month later you both try each and get back to us here . We''ll either loao or (I dought it) be amazed and learn something new. Guys like that can't be told or schooled on anything, but proof IS always in the pudding ( bowl ). Peace

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
There were several threads and respected posters on OG who freeze dried/cured their buds. I didn't pay much attention too it though. It can be done and some people say it is better. I kinda filed it in the same bin with watering curing. But water curing does work and there are valid reasons for doing it. Same with freeze curing and drying.

Someone posted freezing destroys plant cells which isn't exactly true. Otherwise why do many growers freeze their seed stashes. Freezing is a widely used way to preserve vegetables.

Also, you are supposed to freeze your trim before you run it through for bubble hash. It doesn't break the trichs or it would mess up the bubble bag filtration.

Take some fresh bud and trim but don't dry. Put it in a paper bag or cardboard box and stick it in the freezer. It will be dried out after a week and no mold will grow on it. It is a good way to deal with buds that have been showing signs of mold but it hasn't spread everywhere. Freeze in bags and trim in a week or so a bag at a time leaving the rest frozen.

Lots of people I know vacuum seal and then freeze dried cured weed and it is great a year or more later.

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Fresh buds that are not dried, and placed in a freezing environment will most certainly, cause plants cells to rupture and die. This necrosis is the direct result of freezing. If you don't believe it to be so, experiment and you'll see the results for yourself.
Many species of plant seed cannot tolerate freezing storage temperatures. Cannabis seeds on the other hand, are encased in a rather tough Pericarp, commonly known as a Seed coat, or "shell." This "shell" hardens as the seed matures and breaks from the placenta. This hardened "shell" which develops from the ovaries outer walls, encases and protects the embryo within.
This protected embryo remains in a state of near suspended animation, and can be stored viably in freezing temperatures for a good number of years. Cannabis seed can also survive brief periods of extreme heat. Though that is beside the point.
To think a mature cannabis seed stored in a freezing environment, would be effected in the same manner as an undried cannabis flower, in the same environment is illogical. A mature seed and a fresh bud are completely different structures of the plant, with completely different mechanisms; that are programmed genetically(And bound by the laws of physics) to react to certain environmental conditions according to the functions of their specific and intended purpose. The intricacies of which, exceed the capability of human understanding. If you think otherwise your either,
A. some secret government scientist that knows some "shit", B. Ignorant or C. umm.... God himself.
I urge anyone who disagrees to take a freshly cut nug and place it in the freezer for a day or two. When its removed from the freezer, proceed as you normally
would. The effects will not be pretty, and it shall be a sad day.:damnhippie:

S

sensei13

Someone posted freezing destroys plant cells which isn't exactly true. Otherwise why do many growers freeze their seed stashes. Freezing is a widely used way to preserve vegetables.

This is a very valid point. Also, I think it should be said that there would be a huge difference in whether or not the bud was fully dried, cured, or fresh picked off the plant before freezing. Before completely drying out, majority of the buds weight is water. Water expands when frozen; which I could see might severely damage the cell walls of the flowers then soak the bud when thawed; if properly dried first, this might not be the case. However, I do know temperature definitely affects the curing process, as with refrigeration which in my opinion definitely improves taste, smell, and effect after a week or two if properly stored. So I would like to revise my post earlier, I have not tried freezing & would like to keep an open mind to new possibilities; so time to do a little experimenting. (yes, it is ok to be wrong or change opinion from time to time or we would never learn new things).

One last thing too, freezing is not just freezing. Zero degrees, and negative 30 degrees might have different effects; not to mention ambient humidity and duration. One method could create gold, another garbage; the only way to prove or disprove this topic is thorough testing with many variations of one variable at a time. I will try a little experimentation after next harvest.
I would also like to encourage others who have tried this to post your results (whether bad or good) including:

- whether fresh, dried or fully cured bud was used
- how bud was stored
- duration of storing
- and temperature & humidity if possible

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Chew on this.....What happens to frozen veggies i.e. broccoli, when they are defrosted??? They become a mushy mess. Frozen vegetables were once fresh vegetables, so if you wish to see the effects of freezing on fresh plant matter, defrost some veggies. You will not be able to find a vegetable that can withstand freezing & thawing, and remain anything like its previous fresh state. Freezing, and refrigeration damages plant cells. If you can find a fresh vegetable that can withstand freezing & thawing, only to taste the same, and still be crisp after thawing I will write you a check for 10grand. It wont happen, because like I said before the mechanisms of different plant structures, are programmed genetically(And bound by the laws of physics) to react to certain environmental conditions according to the functions of their specific and intended purpose. The intricacies of which, exceed the capability of human understanding. If you still don't get it read this....
Water makes up over 90 percent of the weight of most fruits and vegetables. This water and other chemical substances are held within the fairly rigid cell walls which give support structure, and texture to the fruit or vegetable. Freezing fruits and vegetables actually consists of freezing the water contained in the plant cells.

When the water freezes, it expands and the ice crystals cause the cell walls to rupture. Consequently, the texture of the produce, when thawed, will be much softer than it was when raw. This textural difference is especially noticeable in products which are usually consumed raw. For example, when a frozen tomato is thawed, it becomes mushy and watery. This explains why celery, lettuce, and tomatoes are not usually frozen and is the reason for the suggestion that frozen fruits, usually consumed raw, be served before they have completely thawed. In the partially thawed state, the effect of freezing on the fruit tissue is less noticeable.
Also, all methods of freezing allow auto decomposition to continue unless special precautions are taken. For example, most vegetables are blanched to inactivate their enzymes before freezing. This blanching is also done to destroy microorganism's, which further potentiates the key benefit of freezing preservation; which lies in the inability of microorganism's to multiply in freezing and below freezing temperatures.
There is only one possible outcome when freezing freshly cut buds, that of which is, when thawed you'll be left with soggy, mushy garbage with no potency. If you think otherwise, then you haven't had enough experience to know better. After all experience is merely the title we give to our many mistakes.
1 more thing, even if your storing dried and cured buds in a freezer, the loss of potency due the rupturing of glandular trichomes is bad enough. This just goes to show how much misinformation is spread around by
heads that don't know any better. The kind that enjoy low potency freezer hay:icon_dizzy:

7rayos

Just got out of the freezer a bud, well dried, cured and stored from last year harvest. It wasn't the greatest of grasses, can't remember what brand, but it was smelly and heady.
Now, i kept a whole jar a month ago in an average 4 stars freezer kept at number 4, don't know the actual temp. The bud is taken out just now, hard rubber texture and difficult to break without a grinder. The smell is non-existant. The high would affect my parakeet. The aspect is a bit like that found in the Gobi desert 2700BC. Trichs are still visible, though.
Maybe vacuum sealed, then frozen, would keep some of its virtues, i dunno, definitely just jar-sealed and frozen is a no-no, if you like the smell and high of a noble grass. As for sellers freezing their stash. i wouldn't know what their preferences are nor their techniques, but unless themselves are mj lovers, i don't take their stuff as reference.
As it's said here, probably there's a right technique in which this can be made (freshly cut, vacuum sealed, and pasteurized?:icon_dizzy:), so unless you want to experiment on that, i say on my practical experience that cured grass just frozen in a jar is a fine way of fuckin up grass. In any other conditions, i have just to assume it won't be much better, so next trial only on well proven recipes, and not mine.

Numapompilio 018
S

sensei13

If you can find a fresh vegetable that can withstand freezing & thawing, only to taste the same, and still be crisp after thawing I will write you a check for 10grand.

My best guess is garlic.
And I think you hit the nail on the head as far as what happens when throwing a fresh bud in the freezer. What though is to be said about lower temperature and preservation. Refrigerating in airtight glass without a doubt in my mind preserves & to some extent enhances a cured & fully dried bud (while refreshing stagnant air within the container). And yes, trichs will get brittle and snap when too cold; but at what exact temperature? Lower temperature can definitely aid in preservation, yet also can be destructive. My question is where is this line. In my experience with bubble bagging, the capitate-stalked trichromes become brittle at water temperatures not freezing (i.e. very very cold water with ice removed) and are more abundant in the higher micron filters. While lowering the temp. with each run (as well as greater agitation) the lower micron filters begin to have higher ratios of resin than the higher micron filters; this leads me to believe that the sessile, and bulbous trichromes become brittle at different temperatures.

Anyways getting back to a point, there are benefits as well as dangerous effects to lower temperatures and fully cured buds. Where can the envelope be pushed? Does strain account for anything? Exactly what temperature does each type of trichrome become brittle, does it vary between Sativa and Indica? I pose these questions not to be annoying, but because without fully understanding something we cannot move forward with science. Experimenting may sometimes lead to dead ends and wasted weed, so don't experiment with your head stash but don't be too quick to say there is no benefit to questioning or taking another look at preconceived notions. BHO must have been stumbled upon at one point, and I'm sure some people smoked some nasty unhealthy concoctions trying to find new ways to extract; but without experimenting we would never have this honey delight.

One other thing, trichromes become brittle and break off the bud if too cold (temps. I do not recommend storing), however they do not explode, dissolve or disappear in any way; at least not in a conventional freezer.

And yes, if handled when brittle technically the THC% will go down as powder fallen of will change the ratio by volume; but who leaves that sweet dust unsmoked?

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Trichomes, whether they are bulbous, capitate stalked or capitate sessile will rupture, burst, explode, an cease to exist in freezing temps. If your serious about experimenting I suggest you get a high quality 10-25x jewelers loupe. I've heard they make special loupes with camera's built in to photograph magnified images. While the camera is not really necessary; it will surely help to notice the profound before and after differences in glandular coverage due to freezing. I'm not wanting to be argumentative, I just want you to know that when you freeze buds that are not completely dried and cured you will have major glandular trichome loss; and when you freeze well dried and cured buds you will have moderate trichome loss. Trichomes are specialized epidermal cells present in most plants. Glandular trichomes contain volatile oils, terpenes, terpenoids and many other secretions that are produced by plants. While structurally diverse trichomes have three basic variants. In cannabis there are Bulbous, capitate-sessile, and capitate-stalked trichomes. The Bulbous trichomes are the smallest(15-30 microns) and are typically composed of 1-4 cells each for the foot, stalk, and gland respectively. Capitate sessile trichomes are much larger and more numerous than bulbous glands; with the gland head measuring from 25-100 microns and composed of 8-16 cells. Capitate sessile glands appear to not have a stalk, and thus is why they are referred to as being "sessile." In truth capitate sessile trichomes are stalked, but the stalk is only one cell tall. Capitate stalked trichomes are where cannabinoids are found in the greatest abundance. Capitate stalked trichomes measure from 150-500 microns. Capitate stalked trichomes form during flowering. These capitate stalked glands have a unique structure that consists of a tier of secretory disc cells which is topped by a large secretory cavity. When capitate stalked trichomes on fresh plant matter are placed in freezing their secretory cavities burst as the fluid within expands. Mel Frank, and Ed Rosenthal would tell you the same thing brother. In fact Mel Frank would get heated over this topic. Mel Frank had more than a few derogatory words for those who freeze their buds. Any way, To each his own. So if it makes you content, and you think your getting better results from freezing your nugs than enjoy those nugcicles.

p.s. Garlic, while a good try, would fare no differently in a freezer. Garlic can only be frozen for 10-12 months(beyond that and you have no nutritional or taste value) either as cloves or as a whole head, but it will lose it's firm texture and its potent flavor during freezing. It is suggested when cooking with frozen garlic, to not thaw before adding to a dish.

Top Bottom