Something is killing my plant!

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I have a Bruce banner in a 22 gallon pot outdoors. She is being very healthy and strong throughout the entire grow. The other day I noticed a branch was dying and getting brown little spot in the middle of it so I ended up taking it off. I hate to cut that one branch cuz it had a nice blood structure but the whole branch was just dying and I did not want it to spread. This morning I go outside to look at my girl and I noticed a new round hard Skelly spot on a upper cola branch and it's doing the same thing. I don't know if there's an insects eating on my plant, calls it an infection or what's happening but it's killing each branch one by one. It's literally just about an inch long little brown hard spot in the middle of the branch. My leaves are turning yellow. It's starting to look kind of wimpy and not so good. I don't think it's a mold but at the same time I don't know what is causing it. It's popping up out of the blue. Can anybody take a look at the pictures and see if they might know what's going on? This is just happening randomly. Where these spots are. I have not defoliated from them spots since June. So it's nothing that is fresh in a wound getting infected.

Something is killing my plant
Something is killing my plant 2
Something is killing my plant 3
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I’ve never personally seen this, to me it looks like a cat or an animal as gnawing on it

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If it is something gnawing And they gnaw Around the base of the stalk, It’s curtains for the whole plant. Better put some traps out or come out in the middle of the night and see if you can catch them in the act.

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I carefully inspected all around where that brown part is and I don't see anything that is nawing on it. There's a cage around it so no animal is able to get in there. The only thing I can think of is insects. I don't know what insects are doing it because there is no damage on no the leaves. I inspected the entire plant and did not see any insect infestation. So my next step is I'm going to try to get a bottle of Neem oil and just start treating the plants that are surrounding it and the plant itself. But I don't know what to do to stop it. I don't know if it's a caterpillar, a lantern fly or some other insect. But that one stem with that cola on it was easily a 2 oz bud.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

Some earlier poster noted he had mice chomping on plant parts because he found mice poop in the crooks of some branches. Put out a couple mouse traps baited with peanut butter on your mulch layer and see what you get. Keep us posted because odd ailments and finding their treatments benefits all growers. Good luck.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Some earlier poster noted he had mice chomping on plant parts because he found mice poop in the crooks of some branches. Put out a couple mouse traps baited with peanut butter on your mulch layer and see what you get. Keep us posted because odd ailments and finding their treatments benefits all growers. Good luck.
Agreed, to me IMO this is more animal or rodent gnawing versus insects. I could be completely wrong but those are gnarly

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

I'm definitely going to get neem oil, probably some sticky road and traps just to see, and I'm thinking about wrapping up the bad spot of the branch with floral tape. I don't know how to resolve that brown spot issue. I do know it's taking its effect on the the flower. I don't know what to do to save the cola and Bud. Is anybody have any ideas on how I could possibly save it?

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

It's a sad day for the Bruce banner guys. After hours of research it seems she has contacted fusarium aka hemp canker aka black stem death. The only way to get rid of it is to chop the infection off. I will have to chop the cola branch off. But it is a soil pathogen so most likely the entire plant is infected and will kill the roots and is easily spread to other plants. I'm going to chop the infected branch and see if she will survive. She was easily a 1 pound plant and it breaks my heart to know she may die and I cannot reuse the compost. Neem oil can be used as a soil application to help control fusarium oxyporum. Plus one of my clones has contacted septoria but I think I have her under control and she hopefully will recover. Everybody that is reading this please research fusarium and learn what to look for and how to prevent it. It usually shows up when your girls go into flower.😭

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
It's a sad day for the Bruce banner guys. After hours of research it seems she has contacted fusarium aka hemp canker aka black stem death. The only way to get rid of it is to chop the infection off. I will have to chop the cola branch off. But it is a soil pathogen so most likely the entire plant is infected and will kill the roots and is easily spread to other plants. I'm going to chop the infected branch and see if she will survive. She was easily a 1 pound plant and it breaks my heart to know she may die and I cannot reuse the compost. Neem oil can be used as a soil application to help control fusarium oxyporum. Plus one of my clones has contacted septoria but I think I have her under control and she hopefully will recover. Everybody that is reading this please research fusarium and learn what to look for and how to prevent it. It usually shows up when your girls go into flower.😭
50/50 water and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a sprayer applied directly to the infection site. I save clones from fusarium this way all the time, as long as you catch it early on. Might be able to save it this way but if it's gotten that bad maybe not.

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

50/50 water and 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a sprayer applied directly to the infection site. I save clones from fusarium this way all the time, as long as you catch it early on. Might be able to save it this way but if it's gotten that bad maybe not.
So do you still cut off the infected branch or do you leave it on there and spray it? And you're saying 50/50 ratio of water and hydrogen peroxide. Do I need to put a heavy application on it or can I do a light application? Do I need to spray the soil as well? Plus I've already heavily sprayed with Nemo so would it still be safe to use the hydrogen peroxide in water on top of me using the Nemo earlier? Or do I need to try to wash off the Nemo and then try the hydrogen and water mixture?

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

So do you still cut off the infected branch or do you leave it on there and spray it? And you're saying 50/50 ratio of water and hydrogen peroxide. Do I need to put a heavy application on it or can I do a light application? Do I need to spray the soil as well? Plus I've already heavily sprayed with Nemo so would it still be safe to use the hydrogen peroxide in water on top of me using the Nemo earlier? Or do I need to try to wash off the Nemo and then try the hydrogen and water mixture?
Neem oil*

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I wouldn't spray the soil with it but yeah feel free to spray the infected branch as liberally as possible. Might save you from having to chop the branch. You can do this once or twice a day until symptoms go away. As far as the soil goes the neem should help. You could always try adding beneficials to the soil to clear that up - something like General Hydroponics SubCulture-M, or Key To Life "Root Life" beneficial fungi are good choices and I use them pretty much universally in all of my growing media including soil, soilless and hydroponics use.

Top Bottom