Sour Diesel Growing Problems, Help Please

• Thread starter Dcmotocross
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dcmotocross

Sour diesel growing problems help please
Hi, need some help please.

Am on week 11 of flowering some sour diesels, they seemed to of slowed down is they anything I can do? They are on 600watt hps lamps, temp 80 and humidity is 40%, lights on 10 hours and off 14. How long do u think I have left and when should I flush? Any help would be grateful, thank you.

H

Highkev

Can anyone help please?? Thank you
I would flush for a week or two then pick em. 11 weeks is long for sour diesel to flower according to internet. It’s best to watch the crystal heads under a microscope 30* or better. Once they turn about 15-20% Amber they are ready. Harvest earlier than that for upper high. Harvest later for more couch lock effects. Maybe harvest in intervals keep notes for next round through on which is best time to harvest then plan on that for next cycle

D

Dcmotocross

I would flush for a week or two then pick em. 11 weeks is long for sour diesel to flower according to internet. It’s best to watch the crystal heads under a microscope 30* or better. Once they turn about 15-20% Amber they are ready. Harvest earlier than that for upper high. Harvest later for more couch lock effects. Maybe harvest in intervals keep notes for next round through on which is best time to harvest then plan on that for next cycle
They still have a few white pistils, is that normal? I’ve ordered a loupe. They are still abit soft on top tho, is that normal? Thanks for all your help

H

Highkev

I like the couch lock buzz. when I check crystals under scope for readiness my hairs are almost all orange or non white. The hairs should be almost all turned by about two weeks from what I can tell. I usually run RO water ph 5.8-6.2 just water last two weeks. White hairs are normal the bud just needs to ripen a bit more and they will change to orange and start to shrink as the buds swell

E

Elevated

Best advice for sour is wait, then wait...then wait and get weight! It requires patience to grow really doesn't stack until late, it also requires being healthy to make it that long.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I am almost at 8 weeks flower on my Sour D. To me they looked ready to harvest weeks ago, but under scope the crystals just went cloudy 2 weeks ago. Very few white hairs but also very few amber heads. The plants themselves have looked like they are dying for several weeks - large leaves turning yellow - plant constricting but buds getting bigger. It's hard to watch my vibrant plants not be vibrant anymore. I am making myself wait for some amber.

Another thing I don't understand is this back and forth on waiting 11 weeks on Sour D to harvest - the waiting making it more a couch lock than a head high. So harvest early if you don't want couch lock, I read. (I don't want couch lock) Another write's that people complain about the high not lasting and it is because they are harvesting too early. What is a person suppose to think? It seems to me that SD wouldn't be known for giving people a head high if you can harvest when it 85% of guides say too and get couch lock??????? Thanks for any info - this is my 3rd grow but 1st with SD. This one has been a challenge with Low stress training, aphids, trips, and gnats but we are making it. . . . and waiting.

grow in soil - 4x4 - 4 600watt led- use fox farms nuits

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I am almost at 8 weeks flower on my Sour D. To me they looked ready to harvest weeks ago, but under scope the crystals just went cloudy 2 weeks ago. Very few white hairs but also very few amber heads. The plants themselves have looked like they are dying for several weeks - large leaves turning yellow - plant constricting but buds getting bigger. It's hard to watch my vibrant plants not be vibrant anymore. I am making myself wait for some amber.

Another thing I don't understand is this back and forth on waiting 11 weeks on Sour D to harvest - the waiting making it more a couch lock than a head high. So harvest early if you don't want couch lock, I read. (I don't want couch lock) Another write's that people complain about the high not lasting and it is because they are harvesting too early. What is a person suppose to think? It seems to me that SD wouldn't be known for giving people a head high if you can harvest when it 85% of guides say too and get couch lock??????? Thanks for any info - this is my 3rd grow but 1st with SD. This one has been a challenge with Low stress training, aphids, trips, and gnats but we are making it. . . . and waiting.

grow in soil - 4x4 - 4 600watt led- use fox farms nuits
11 weeks is about right for a fully grown plant. Seed merchants want to promise a fast grow, but the best quality and weight comes from letting the plant fully finish. The difference between a "correctly" harvested bud and a "Couch Lock" bud, based on harvest time, is like the difference between 99 cents and a dollar... it is minute and I truthfully don't think anyone can tell the difference without a chemical analysis. Most of the couch lock and other Urban legends are actually based on genetics (THCA/CBN/CBD ratios inherent in the strain), with an extra week of finishing not making too much of a difference. Finishing early on the other hand, makes for smaller and less dense buds with less resin, as most strains really seem to stack up when allowed to go as far as they can. Flushing is optional and is a matter of personal preference.
To me, your plants are approaching the finish. When the buds start to get sort of pointy, with little nubs growing out of the end, that is when I take them down. The Trichome cloudy/amber/clear is good for some strains, although Sativa dominant strains don't react or grow the same way, making the Trichomes method less reliable, IMO. When your plants start to slow down, you will probably see some yellowing in the fan leaves, which is another indicator of ripeness. Think of trees in the fall... they keep putting their energy into making seeds and stuff, taking nutrition out of the leaves and getting ready to shut down.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Thank you - this is the first Sativa strain that I have grown - so I appreciate the info. The pointy buds is something I hadn't heard and I'll look at that. My other grows just didn't look so shut down by the time I harvested. If the trichome cloudy/amber doesn't work what do you go on - just the time and the pointy buds? Got to go look at my buds!!

Appreciate your thoughts on harvesting early to avoid couch lock too - one less thing to worry about. Thank you

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thank you - this is the first Sativa strain that I have grown - so I appreciate the info. The pointy buds is something I hadn't heard and I'll look at that. My other grows just didn't look so shut down by the time I harvested. If the trichome cloudy/amber doesn't work what do you go on - just the time and the pointy buds? Got to go look at my buds!!

Appreciate your thoughts on harvesting early to avoid couch lock too - one less thing to worry about. Thank you
Sativa's are a little different, as the buds continue to grow during flowering, unlike others that develop the hard round nuggets. Sativa is more elongated, not nearly as dense, and usually has a lot less "Couch Lock" effects, although the intense effects of some strains of it can be paranoia inducing. To me, Sativa's are a lot more like trees, as they usually get some color changes in the surrounding leaves (more during cold weather and with some strains, not all). I usually start to se the buds growing a little pointy, I often see one or two lobed leaves growing twisted out of the bud's tip, and I have even seen a little round stem-ish horn growing out the end...a definite sign. I often lose ALL of the leaves, or the majority of hem, as the plant finishes. The buds get a cool, greasy feeling and you may or may not see the trichome turnover. It's not an exact science by far, but thankfully, missing the peak by a few days won't change anything noticeable.

Lisa22

Lisa22

A really big thanks for all of this. I am sincerely appreciative of actually getting advise. I am learning that I really don't know as much about Sativa's as I need to and should do more reading on the differences. I now have more things to look over going toward harvest. Your comment about having no leaves when you harvest helped my anxiety level - my other grows - OG's - had amber techs and leaves at finish - so again seeing them going bare except for buds has been difficult for me. Learning about the buds tips and the greasy feeling - all definitely helpful!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
A really big thanks for all of this. I am sincerely appreciative of actually getting advise. I am learning that I really don't know as much about Sativa's as I need to and should do more reading on the differences. I now have more things to look over going toward harvest. Your comment about having no leaves when you harvest helped my anxiety level - my other grows - OG's - had amber techs and leaves at finish - so again seeing them going bare except for buds has been difficult for me. Learning about the buds tips and the greasy feeling - all definitely helpful!
Keep in mind that not all Sativa strains act the same. Some only get a few leaves and are very lanky/gangly, while others get a ton of leaves. Most of the stuff that I told you is based on my experience, so it might not always match up to book recommendations. Not all Sativa will lose all of their leaves. If you are feeding them a lot, the yellowing might not be as noticeable. After the 6th week of flowering, I either go with lower doses of a regular blooming fertilizer (not the super bloom type stuff, just regular Loews or Home Depot brand fertilizer for flowers. Depending on how everything looks, I either keep them on reduced rations or withhold feeding altogether. I prefer to see some yellowing as it lets me know that I'm not over feeding the plant and slowly use up the remaining nutes that it has stashed away in it's leaves and roots.
There isn't a right or wrong way to do this, as everyone has their own way to grow. I prefer to keep it simple and basic, while still keeping everyone well fed and hydrated, just not too much! I've attached a photo of fan leaves that are showing the color change I see from the strains that I grow. They are an old strain from Alaska and when finished in cooler temps, such as late fall/early winter, they get a purple coloring to the smaller leaves. It looks like a deficiency, in a way I guess it is, although it is a normal part of flowering. Once I see this color change, I know that the plant is about finished, maybe a few days longer. The 2nd photo shows a better idea of the leaf structure... the fan leaves are pretty far apart, although the buds continue to grow as well as mature. The top leaves, which are clawed, are doing that because the plants are actually taller than the light, and the leaves bend down to catch more of the light from below. The lower leaves aren't clawed because the light level is above the plants, so clawing isn't necessary. FWIW, a fertilizer overdose can also make clawed fan leaves, but they will all be clawed independent of the light source.

Colored fan leaves
Mana far
Lisa22

Lisa22

Outrageous picture - is this inside? I've always thought that the plants needed to be at the same height for the lights. I've got some fertilizer burn for the first time with this grow and had to dial back. I probably will do SD again so all of this has been super helpful. Thank you for your time.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Not sure which seeds you are running if its the East coast style one or the NYCD or AJ style one. If its from the East Coast side of things they are pretty nute sensitive. 850ish ppm usually max on them and a full 12 weeks. It's one of those strains that needs to be dialed to shine. Once it is dialed its a monster. Just take notes and run it a couple of times to really get it dialed. It's like night and day with that plant. Like pretty good flowers the first run or 2 into holy shit im only growing this from now on flowers.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I have found seeds to be expensive and then to only have a few sprout - they just don't seem cost effective. So I tried clones on this one and found it to be Russian Roulette. I first went through scale then trips. So I am taking them outside to spray and bring in aphids! I should have been using soap on them the minute I got them home. I won't forget that.

Top Bottom