Sour Diesel Growing Problems, Help Please

• Thread starter Dcmotocross
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Outrageous picture - is this inside? I've always thought that the plants needed to be at the same height for the lights. I've got some fertilizer burn for the first time with this grow and had to dial back. I probably will do SD again so all of this has been super helpful. Thank you for your time.
Yes, this is inside. The plants shown are an old strain brought back by the Alaskan Pipeline in the 70s. It was called Matanuska Thunderf**k, named after the Matanuska valley that they were grown in back then. The lineage is unknown, since plants didn't generally have names other than the regions they were grown. It is Sativa dominant and the problem is that it keeps growing during flowering... not like the stretch before flowering, but more or less keeps growing AND making thick, long buds. Not nuggets, but lighter and air-ier. I have the same problem going on with some Malawi strains I'm trying...it's 6.5 ft already and in 5th week of flowering. It's not above the lights yet, but it probably will be soon. Once they get to a certain size, they become almost impossible to train anymore. I don't prefer that the plants get above the lights, but when growing Sativa's and Indica's, you have to keep on top of things because of their size difference. They were all about the same size when vegging, but during flowering, they grow like crazy. They still make a big cola, but the leaves are sure funky looking once they get above the light's level. FWIW, my light bulbs hang down, with the base up. This allows a ton of light to come off the sides of the light, so the tall plants still get a lot of light from the tops and sides. Most current systems concentrate the light downward with most of the light concentrated on a area under them, making the ight reaching the areas surrounding the fixture to get less light intensity. My exposed bulb sends light out in all directions, including upward, although not directly above them, but off to the sides a little. Using Titanium white paint on the walls and mylar sheeting in other areas, the plants seem to enjoy it. My style of growing is almost like being outside, but I have better control over the variables.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I never grew sour diesel , but I go by my trichome, I like couch lock so I chop late, when you chop late you should start to see some amber, some pistols won't change color that's why I go with the trichome if it's milky you can chop, I wait till I see about 50% amber, this is only my opinion but I would flush and give the plant a week or 2.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Since Sour D takes so long to harvest how long and how much does everyone fertilize? My foxfarm had me really cut back at week 8 with 4 more weeks to go. I wonder now if I should have cut back as have read the SD is one that feeds heavily.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Since Sour D takes so long to harvest how long and how much does everyone fertilize? My foxfarm had me really cut back at week 8 with 4 more weeks to go. I wonder now if I should have cut back as have read the SD is one that feeds heavily.

Following the 8 week directions on the bottle?

I try to feed only what the plants need and when they finish growing and start to ripen i taper the nute strength down as they need less so thy have enough to fully expand in size amd potency.

If they look hungry still just feed them light doses.

Lisa22

Lisa22

Following the 8 week directions on the bottle?

I try to feed only what the plants need and when they finish growing and start to ripen i taper the nute strength down as they need less so thy have enough to fully expand in size amd potency.

If they look hungry still just feed them light doses.
Yes, following what the fox farms (3 formula) bottles say, new to this. You say "if they look hungry"???? I know when they look like they need water - I know what they look like if they need nitrogen - but hungry? Have no idea how much fertilizer they need to expand in size from 8 weeks to 11 or 12 weeks in bloom. So going by the bottle directions. I've grown lots of things - even orchids - but new to weed.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes, following what the fox farms (3 formula) bottles say, new to this. You say "if they look hungry"???? I know when they look like they need water - I know what they look like if they need nitrogen - but hungry? Have no idea how much fertilizer they need to expand in size from 8 weeks to 11 or 12 weeks in bloom. So going by the bottle directions. I've grown lots of things - even orchids - but new to weed.

Bottle directions are max amounts for use under max lighting. I always start at 15-25% of directions and slowly taper up the dose each time until i see leaf stress. Or they get too dark or yellow tips.

I read once that the bottle directions were for 1000w hps. I use 600’s. And i tend to end up at 2/3 bottle amounts at peak maturity and bloom.

Plants look hungry when the leaves lose their luster and fade some. Or of the lower leaves start showing spots or edge necrosis.

The edges and lower (older leaf) tips yellowing usually means potassium deficiency.

yellowing lower leaves is nitrogen needed.

Etc.

Same with other kinds of plants.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

I have a black Diesel going now and it seems happy with a general purpose feed. I know the term "If they look hungry" doesn't help you much, but it is something that kind of comes with experience and is difficult to explain, since plants react differently to fertilizers. I recommend using half strength nutrients... even less (if any) when using a fortified soil, like Fox Farms supplies. It is easy to correct a deficiency, but almost impossible to fix overdoses. A LOT of fertilizer issues arise from following the directions. As an example, one of my 7 ft tall Sativas is going to use a LOT more nutrients than a plant the same age but 1/4 it's size. If you start with a light application of fertilizer once it gets growing , you will get an idea if you need to increase the dose or not. Meters are made for checking the concentration of nutrients, although you probably won't need one after a while as you get more familiar with growing weed. If you are at 8 weeks of flowering, you aren't going to need too much more, if any, to finish your grow. Don't be surprised if you start seeing yellowing leaves, starting at the bottom large fan leaves. This is the plant pulling reserves out of it's storage lockers...the large fan leaves.
As a final comment. I don't measure the TDS/PPM of my plants. There are quite a few growers that swear that you need these, and perhaps they are correct for their setup. The advice given is what has worked for me...your result may be different. The one thing that I've learned is that the less you interact with plants, the happier they are. Much like cats... they like you when you are feeding them, but after that, they have no use for you! :D

Lisa22

Lisa22

Bottle directions are max amounts for use under max lighting. I always start at 15-25% of directions and slowly taper up the dose each time until i see leaf stress. Or they get too dark or yellow tips.

I read once that the bottle directions were for 1000w hps. I use 600’s. And i tend to end up at 2/3 bottle amounts at peak maturity and bloom.

Plants look hungry when the leaves lose their luster and fade some. Or of the lower leaves start showing spots or edge necrosis.

The edges and lower (older leaf) tips yellowing usually means potassium deficiency.

yellowing lower leaves is nitrogen needed.

Etc.

Same with other kinds of plants.
I use 600's too. Interesting about the luster, and lower leaves - thank you for this info it will be used and is appreciated. I used the bottle directions on this grow and can definitely agree that it was too much and had to cut back - but then at 12 weeks (total veg + flwr) you use really low amounts and that's the 5 weeks of this low dose b4 harvest. I just really messed this one up in the beginning and will probably wind up with 1/2 the weight I could have gotten w/o wrong dosage and fighting pests when I'm in bloom. I'm afraid I learn entirely too much through mistakes!

Lisa22

Lisa22

I have a black Diesel going now and it seems happy with a general purpose feed. I know the term "If they look hungry" doesn't help you much, but it is something that kind of comes with experience and is difficult to explain, since plants react differently to fertilizers. I recommend using half strength nutrients... even less (if any) when using a fortified soil, like Fox Farms supplies. It is easy to correct a deficiency, but almost impossible to fix overdoses. A LOT of fertilizer issues arise from following the directions. As an example, one of my 7 ft tall Sativas is going to use a LOT more nutrients than a plant the same age but 1/4 it's size. If you start with a light application of fertilizer once it gets growing , you will get an idea if you need to increase the dose or not. Meters are made for checking the concentration of nutrients, although you probably won't need one after a while as you get more familiar with growing weed. If you are at 8 weeks of flowering, you aren't going to need too much more, if any, to finish your grow. Don't be surprised if you start seeing yellowing leaves, starting at the bottom large fan leaves. This is the plant pulling reserves out of it's storage lockers...the large fan leaves.
As a final comment. I don't measure the TDS/PPM of my plants. There are quite a few growers that swear that you need these, and perhaps they are correct for their setup. The advice given is what has worked for me...your result may be different. The one thing that I've learned is that the less you interact with plants, the happier they are. Much like cats... they like you when you are feeding them, but after that, they have no use for you! :D

OH this is tooo funny as I am a cat owner! Black Diesel sounds really interesting. What are the differences to the regular? Does it look pretty much the same? Will look it up.

I've learned about the fertilizer and boy are you right - after the deed is done on an over dose it's just keeping them alive. I'm sure that I will finally get it dialed in - my first grow didn't do to well as I was determined not to over-water or over-fertilize (As this is what I read was the biggest mistake) so I nearly killed them that way. Now on my 2nd grow and am trying to just go to far the other direction. Have just put my venom og in bloom and it is looking really good - and I've dialed back the nutritionists. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'm learning.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use 600's too. Interesting about the luster, and lower leaves - thank you for this info it will be used and is appreciated. I used the bottle directions on this grow and can definitely agree that it was too much and had to cut back - but then at 12 weeks (total veg + flwr) you use really low amounts and that's the 5 weeks of this low dose b4 harvest. I just really messed this one up in the beginning and will probably wind up with 1/2 the weight I could have gotten w/o wrong dosage and fighting pests when I'm in bloom. I'm afraid I learn entirely too much through mistakes!

I use potting soil like ocean forest and water only with transplants into new soil all through veg and average through first 2 weeks of 12/12.

Then i feed low doses each watering to pretty much the end. If i see stress i water only to runoff and see what comes out. Then usually add back a lighter dose of base grow nutes. I only use a balanced complete frow ratio nute. No pk heavy stuff or additives.

I will agree with @Jimster that some plants fade the lower leaves or even all over when properly fed. I just taper down more with plants that like to canabilize themselves. But i do always try to keep them happy and medium green with nice soft flat leaves.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

The one thing that I've learned is that the less you interact with plants, the happier they are. Much like cats... they like you when you are feeding them, but after that, they have no use for you! :D
[/QUOTE]

I agree, leave them alone but spy on them often. Screw those little bastards who act all wonderful and loving before opening a can a food.

5330a017bc236
Lisa22

Lisa22

Thanks both of you. Nice looking killer cat. I need to figure out my soil as I am using an organic from Home Depo and I really had a gnat problem - they seem to be the least of my worries between yellow stickies and mosquito dunks but I don't want to do this again either - will look at ocean forest. I do keep my tent clean but do come in and out - the problems seemed to have come with my SD clones. Next set of clones are going to get neem oil until bloom to see if I can go into bloom w/o some kind of pest.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
If you are running East Coast it def isnt a heavy feeder. AJ's will take it. If its a diff clone no idea.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I'd like to ask about other strains that you all feel have the same effect as Sour Diesel. My harvest was only 1 1/2 oz per plant so am looking another strain with same effects - specifically looking for the alert and focused affect the SD gives me. Will Jack Herer give the same effect? I have heard it might produce more product. I know my grow set up is OK got 22 oz with GG but only 13 oz same number of plants but SD. I did have various problems with SD - lower temp at night 61-64 a few nights - battle with various pests - over fertilized. Buds were really light. So debating growing another strain or trying again with SD.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I'd like to ask about other strains that you all feel have the same effect as Sour Diesel. My harvest was only 1 1/2 oz per plant so am looking another strain with same effects - specifically looking for the alert and focused affect the SD gives me. Will Jack Herer give the same effect? I have heard it might produce more product. I know my grow set up is OK got 22 oz with GG but only 13 oz same number of plants but SD. I did have various problems with SD - lower temp at night 61-64 a few nights - battle with various pests - over fertilized. Buds were really light. So debating growing another strain or trying again with SD.

If you want anything with Sour Deez like effects look at all the Chemdog stuff and crosses. I'm pretty much convinced that anything with D or 91 in it turns out a winner. At least so far it has for me from all the stuff Ive run through.

Depending on what organic soil you are using from the Depot be careful. I got some raised bed stuff for the garden outback and it was hot as shit. Burned everything.

Lisa22

Lisa22

I don't know anything about Chemdog or 91 and will look that up - thanks for the lead.

Appreciate your info on dirt at Home Depot. I really can only find Kellogg organics ( I mix some perlite in) that does not have any additional fertilizer but I think that is where my Fungus Gnat problem is coming from. Everything else is like Miracle Grow stuff. I looked for Ocean Forest - Fox Farm and seem to only be able to get it through Amazon. Ocean Forest is so expensive compared - you all don't reuse your dirt after a grow - right? (seemed like a dumb question but maybe I'm wrong in tossing it). Paying for more electricity pays for itself because my buds are bigger. Do you think the cost of Ocean Forest (about 10 times as much as this kellogg stuff)would pay off in harvest? Have read about putting cloth down on top of the dirt in the pot to help prevent gnats - does anyone know if that works?

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It looks like they were stressed by removing too many leaves too fast. The flower has many extra small leaves growing from it in an attempt to compensate for the lack of photosynthetic potential.

Last edited:
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Sour spyder, a collaboration between mdanzig and blackcreek.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

The thing about sour spyder is the only way to get it is by useing bc bud depo, the seeds are special and cost $100 for 5 seeds, I don't trust bc bud depo but that's me, one of the most potent autoflowers I ever grew, allso the plants stink to high heaven real prison weed, I did get a good batch and they don't lie a very beautiful plant with hues of blue and pink, not a hard plant to grow I had a bunch of pics on my old phone but it got wet, I think I have 1 crappy pic that does not do the plant justice, yea sorry I lost a lot of grey pics, if you trust the co and at those prices they better be good, this stuff is insane unfortunately bc bud depo is the only co that breeder uses, I may be bashing a good seed bank I have not used in many years may be they got there s t together, if you can afford the price and can stand the smell, you have been warned, and like sour weed this is it, sux all I have is 1 pic.

20170416 081635

Latest posts

Top Bottom