Source Turbo tinctures-oils & shatter (methanol/alcohol extraction)

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Can you describe your filter in more detail please

Sure:

The filter itself came with a glass filter fixed into the bottom. it comes in three sizes G1, G2 & G3. I chose G3 which filters to 2.5 microns (the cleaner the oil the easier it will become shatter). -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07819T726/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on the receiving vessel you may also need this --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MLJSWDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i use the recommended filter paper that exactly fits in the bottom it is 20 microns --> Qualitative-Cellulose-Retention-Filtration

This is ok because the Celite 545 is 545 mesh or roughly 25 microns (goes down first after inserting and wetting the filter paper with solution under vacuum to set the filter). You need approx a1/4 in thick pattie to serve as the base. It should be left to dry; i left the vacuum pump on, it helped speed things up. The charcoal is 325 mesh or 44 microns. I added 2 tablespoon of dry charcoal on top of the dry pattie. Then i slowly add liquid as room allows. It took about 30-40 minutes to do the entire 500 mil.

All of my glass is lab quality glass except for the two 64oz ball jars for holding material during soak. Don't be cheap, you are working with a very flammable liquid and the vapors are the problem. 99.5/99.9 percent does not have much of a smell.

Good luck and let us know about your progress.

We are interested in the failures too... sometimes those are more fun 😁 🍻

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Where did you get your funnel and bottle setup?

Amazon, check the previous post. i put the links in there. I left it up to you which glass to use. here is what i chose.

2000mL (67.6oz) Glass Reagent Bottle with Acid Proof Polypropylene Stopper, Borosilicate 3.3 Glass - Eisco Labs

Isopropyl Alcohol 99.9% (IPA) - Laboratory-Grade Superior Solvent

to hold cleaning iso and h2o2 liquid with orange caps so there are no mistakes. -
Pyrex 1399-1000CNEa-M Slim line Media Bottle Easy Pour Corning 1000ML, Glass

super quiet vacuum pump lab quality (no spark) -->
Filtr8 Lab Filtration Pump

I think that is the list. the filter powders came from BVV, i purchased the 500 gram triple pack.

If i remember anything else, i will post it here.

🍻

forgot the ice cap container -->
Snapware 3.85-Cup Total Solution Round Food Storage Container, Plastic

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I work in biopharm I’ll get witha scientistfriend and see what he can give me off the shelf

Yeah, i wish. That shit ain't cheap. However something about putting half a gallon of highly flammable, odorless in a freeze in cheap glass seems even less appealing. 😲 💀

Interested in what you come up with.

🍻

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Well. That was fucked up!

I think i will do away with the charcoal on the first pass.

If i remember my basic chemistry correctly the charcoal will attract and absorb the oil i am trying to extract. I have read many, many articles and watched a slew of videos, and none of them had a recommendation on how much to use to remove how much green. So i am going back to my engineer training. Strip everything down to barest minimum and methodically work my way up. I think my next test will be with another ounce of trim and see what my return is.

Time for a joint.... ☹ or two.

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
still running.... man these things are like waiting on your connect... love the set up

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
dump the carbon and winterize the stuff bro. i found that the green tint is a result of not filtering quick enough, use a buchner funnel and the vacuum on the source to pull it faster. hope that makes sense?

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
my biggest complaint is the app itself, the range is shit and the features are lacking some basic stuff like a alarm ? i'm running some oranges peels today.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
still running.... man these things are like waiting on your connect... love the set up

no, this is a photo of the end of the run. Just the "spots" of oil. i am pretty sure i used too much charcoal. ☹

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
oh snap... heartbreaking... i would skip the charcoal altogether. the unit does a nice job by itself. my worst was when i got stoned and it low cooked off a few grams to nothing!! it happens

OG

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
did u dump it all or keep running it till full extraction?

going to cook off the last after work. It got late and life got in the way...

I am also going to scrap the idea of not freezing all of the materials. I know better from my BHO days. Since i will be dealing with buds from here on in (until next harvest) I am going to start with the freezing and trapping the fats and chlorophyll . 🤨 i am positive my results will be better.

ttfn

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Can you describe your filter in more detail please

Ooops 😕 In an earlier post i said the my buchner funnel had a 2.5 micron built in filter. I was incorrect. I was correct in stating that it is a G3 but here are the sizes designated by G1 - G2 - G3. The filter paper i found that was 2.5 microns was larger/smaller than the 94mm diameter so i could not use them.

🍻

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
going to cook off the last after work. It got late and life got in the way...

I am also going to scrap the idea of not freezing all of the materials. I know better from my BHO days. Since i will be dealing with buds from here on in (until next harvest) I am going to start with the freezing and trapping the fats and chlorophyll . 🤨 i am positive my results will be better.

ttfn

Ok, well the cook-off wasn't worth a shit. Sorry to be so blunt but truth is truth. The only evidence of oil was when i wiped the crucible out with a cloth moistened with 99.5. Damn, wouldn't you know it... a tinge of brown. so much for that. ☹

FedEx finally delivered my gallon of 99.9. So i took the left over first pass trimmings out of the freezer along with the frozen left-overs. Now before someone says something; yes i know that they fact that they had already been washed meant there was no way to avoid the Hulk effect. I took some of the advice given before like freezing the soup for 24 hours to see what settled out. Nothing, not even a little bit. This would seem that the filtration process is correct, or at least close.

Now i am looking for ways to make the Hulk back into david banner without stripping out whatever oils are present. Tomorrow we are supposed to have our first sunshine in a week. So i will start by sitting a batch on the nightstand by the window. UV from the sunlight "should" tame the hulk. We'll see. I'll put the rest back in the freezer until i come up with my next brain fart... 🍻😎

20200117 181220
20200116 214155
20200116 215828
20200117 162611
20200117 175244
20200117 175249
20200117 181158
20200117 181204
ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
how long are you soaking ? the green color is from the long soak/wash or the amount of time it took from wash jar to source crucible. i would avoid the UV whatever? i have a zip in a 5 gal cooler along with some pure grain and dry ice. myself i don't care what color my product is, only how well it smokes. BOL

OG

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
how long are you soaking ? the green color is from the long soak/wash or the amount of time it took from wash jar to source crucible. i would avoid the UV whatever? i have a zip in a 5 gal cooler along with some pure grain and dry ice. myself i don't care what color my product is, only how well it smokes. BOL

OG

Lol I hear ya bro! 😎

the soak was only for 3 minutes but it was using 2nd pass material that was left over from first pass; so i expected the cell walls to already be broken. Another experiment, another step in the learning curve. I applied science to the entire batch this morning and put it out in the cold sunlight.

Bottom photo is on the bench
middle is first light outside
top is 60 minutes outside in direct sun will give another 30 minutes and call it good.

Color is looking good. Solutions has been filtered down to 2.5 micron so it is clean as a jelly bean..
🍻

20200118 103719
20200118 093510
20200117 181158
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
So I got stoned and forgot about the timer. Final exposure time is 3 hours.

Distillation has begun. 😎

20200118 124021
20200118 103719
20200118 093510
20200118 130120
20200118 130128
20200117 181158
20200118 130249
Top Bottom