Southern Ontario (Canada) Outdoor Grow

• Thread starter Oricson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oricson

Oricson

Looking to do my first outdoor grow this year and trying to find which seeds are best to use. I have done one indoor grow previously. Decided I will go with auto-flowers to save some time and avoid difficulties finishing which seem to be common in this area. I've seen people say look for something mould resistant but always in reference to regular seeds. Is that so important with autos? They will be growing in approx 20-35c daytime temps and it's generally warm at night also. It can be humid with potential for decent rain. I can grow 4 plants. I want to grow some high THC heavy indicas/ hybrid and 1 sativa. I've seen people say to avoid Kush strains. I'd like to grown some GSC or Wedding cake etc. Are these bad choices for this area/ climate?

Any recommendations on strains or brands of seeds to go with? Also, what is your preferred medium for outdoor grows?

Looking forward to the brighter days!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
stick with sativa sided breeds, they love heat and humidity and generally not bushy.
yes i’m in southern ontario and i find with most grows, friends and mine that anything indica sided always gets infected while i’ll never really see a sativa with it..
the more she’s in a wide open space the better as compared to beside a garage, house, shed, fence, other bushes.. etc

Oricson

Oricson

stick with sativa sided breeds, they love heat and humidity and generally not bushy.
yes i’m in southern ontario and i find with most grows, friends and mine that anything indica sided always gets infected while i’ll never really see a sativa with it..
the more she’s in a wide open space the better as compared to beside a garage, house, shed, fence, other bushes.. etc
Is it the business that causes mould etc?

kevinfever

kevinfever

look for strains that have 8-9 week bud time white widow from greenhouse seed company are really good ,LA confidential from DNA genetics do very well i live southern ontario right on lake erie sativa strains tend to never finish here watch the flower time . autos are getting better but you will never get that bomb ass smoke like with a good kush strain also look for northern hemisphere strains . i have grown many different strains here main thing is it has to have a 8-9 week bud cycle you can do 10 weeks but after that you risk mold ,wind damage list goes on . 10 weeks brings you to mid october so you know what the weather is like in your area.

kevinfever

kevinfever

Stoneface_Jack

Stoneface_Jack

I've grown Bakerstreet outdoors for the last couple of years here in the Hamilton area. It's a Hindu Kush heirloom strain, and it does pretty well outdoors. Only problem I have with it is it starts flowering a week or two behind everything else. Doesn't finish until mid to late October.
Blue Widow was a good one. Got a little rot on some of the smallest buds here or there, but I didn't lose much, maybe 5%ish. Finished late September, the 29th I think.
Pineapple Express #2 did really well, shifted into flowering at the end of July and was done by the third week of September. No rot, just a whole lot of aphids. Garlic/chili pepper spray took care of them.
Autos are good for variety as if you start them inside early in the season you can get two crops in, and they're getting better every year as the breeders bring in more genetics of the original variety, stripping out the ruderalis genes while leaving the autoflower genes intact. They are just as vulnerable to molds and pests as photos though.
I do like the idea of growing 8 different strains in one season, especially as they still don't give large yields, so if you don't like one you can give the rest of it to friends.
Cherry Bomb did quite well, but I used light dep on her, so she finished before the late September, early October weather moved in.
As far as I can tell, people say to stay away from Kush strains because of the dense bud structure and general bushiness of the plants, but those are just standard indica traits, but I could be wrong.
Hope that helps.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Looking to do my first outdoor grow this year and trying to find which seeds are best to use. I have done one indoor grow previously. Decided I will go with auto-flowers to save some time and avoid difficulties finishing which seem to be common in this area. I've seen people say look for something mould resistant but always in reference to regular seeds. Is that so important with autos? They will be growing in approx 20-35c daytime temps and it's generally warm at night also. It can be humid with potential for decent rain. I can grow 4 plants. I want to grow some high THC heavy indicas/ hybrid and 1 sativa. I've seen people say to avoid Kush strains. I'd like to grown some GSC or Wedding cake etc. Are these bad choices for this area/ climate?

Any recommendations on strains or brands of seeds to go with? Also, what is your preferred medium for outdoor grows?

Looking forward to the brighter days!
I'm basically indoor only but I have grown outdoors but not very successfully because of the Powdery mildew & bud rot. I've been recommended to bring the plants in at night for a week the end of July for 12 hrs to shock them into flowering early so they can finish in Sept not Oct.

Also legal or not Auto's are tiny little things, 1 plant dried last me 1 week I need 20 and that's 16 over the limit but 4 photo's will if vegged long enough will give me 4 months of smoke....I know I smoke too much.....retired...arthritic....old.....😂😂😂

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm going into week 6 of flower and I've got gnat problems it's the worst.
8weeks into flower neem oil isn't what you need...too close to harvest your room your house will reek its the shit for bugs in veg but not in flower it will poison you...its nasty stuff stinks like fk and stays seemingly embedded in your room.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm going into week 6 of flower and I've got gnat problems it's the worst.
Not sure about & neem & the Gnats but I use sticky tape , I remove the top inch of soil and blow air directly over the tops of all the pots. let it dry out completely then add new soil and keep the fans running 24/7 over the tops of the pots. I do this at the first sign so it doesn't get out of hand but you could try now & don't use neem oil in / on/ around now...2-3 weeks manage them and wash your buds when you cut to harvest.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've grown Bakerstreet outdoors for the last couple of years here in the Hamilton area. It's a Hindu Kush heirloom strain, and it does pretty well outdoors. Only problem I have with it is it starts flowering a week or two behind everything else. Doesn't finish until mid to late October.
Blue Widow was a good one. Got a little rot on some of the smallest buds here or there, but I didn't lose much, maybe 5%ish. Finished late September, the 29th I think.
Pineapple Express #2 did really well, shifted into flowering at the end of July and was done by the third week of September. No rot, just a whole lot of aphids. Garlic/chili pepper spray took care of them.
Autos are good for variety as if you start them inside early in the season you can get two crops in, and they're getting better every year as the breeders bring in more genetics of the original variety, stripping out the ruderalis genes while leaving the autoflower genes intact. They are just as vulnerable to molds and pests as photos though.
I do like the idea of growing 8 different strains in one season, especially as they still don't give large yields, so if you don't like one you can give the rest of it to friends.
Cherry Bomb did quite well, but I used light dep on her, so she finished before the late September, early October weather moved in.
As far as I can tell, people say to stay away from Kush strains because of the dense bud structure and general bushiness of the plants, but those are just standard indica traits, but I could be wrong.
Hope that helps.
Ah Cherry Bomb...Love it....Lost the strain due to bugs. I've just picked up a pack of Bubble Bomb....I'd have bought Cherry if they had it. My favorite pic of cherries in full bloom

Stoneface_Jack

Stoneface_Jack

Not sure about & neem & the Gnats but I use sticky tape , I remove the top inch of soil and blow air directly over the tops of all the pots. let it dry out completely then add new soil and keep the fans running 24/7 over the tops of the pots. I do this at the first sign so it doesn't get out of hand but you could try now & don't use neem oil in / on/ around now...2-3 weeks manage them and wash your buds when you cut to harvest.
For fungus gnats I put a 2cm layer of horticultural sand on top of the soil. If they can't get down to the wet/damp soil, they can't reproduce. Works best with bottom watering pots, or fabric pots as you can just put them in a tray of water for a couple of minutes and let them wick up as much water as they need. The excess will drain right off when you take them out.

airedog

airedog

Supporter
Dr. Greenthumb's Iranian crosses do well in Eastern Ontario as they finish before the autumn wet weather sets in. His Chemo Iranian is quite potent and reasonably easy to grow. Doc breeds here in Ontario, so you know that the strains he says are safe outdoors for this climactic zone will do well. I've grown out his Iranian Diesel and Oh Zone as well and have been told by people i trust that Carnage and Goldmine will do well here too.

kevinfever

kevinfever

Hope that helps.
ya they say Bakerstreet takes 10 weeks to finish i got some from ocs growing indoor right now . where did you get yours ? 2 seeds never sprouted 1 is all deformed and 1 is growing some fat ass buds. when i bought some buds threw ocs it was to harsh and burnt black so i couldn't tell if it was going to be good smoke. how did your buds turn out smoke wise?

Stoneface_Jack

Stoneface_Jack

ya they say Bakerstreet takes 10 weeks to finish i got some from ocs growing indoor right now . where did you get yours ? 2 seeds never sprouted 1 is all deformed and 1 is growing some fat ass buds. when i bought some buds threw ocs it was to harsh and burnt black so i couldn't tell if it was going to be good smoke. how did your buds turn out smoke wise?
I got the seeds from the OCS. All 4 sprouted. 2 the first year, the other two this past season. All about 8 feet tall even though I was topping them to keep them under the fence.
Buds were good, really nice lemon bleach scent. Not huge, but dense. I don't smoke though, I make edibles and vape, can't help you there.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yeah I'm in organics that are never suppose to fully dry so it's really tough. I've got sticky tape everywhere catching these guys but it never seems to stop
Don't let them fly have that air blowing over the top of the pots and remove the eggs in the top 1/2"of soil...so take off an inch around the edges let the soil dry out before watering....with sticky tape that works. Or poison them I hear DDT works well, spray it everywhere, it can also rid the house of mice,cats,dogs...wives too if you give them enough....lol....No don't I need a disclaimer. I said I smoke a lot.😃😃

Top Bottom