Spacing plants?

• Thread starter Baylife
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Baylife

Baylife

Whats up everyone. I have an issue regarding plant spacing. I have a limited area I am growing in (3000 sq ft.) I am using 300 gallon pots and putting my plants in the third week of may. The plants are about 1.5-2 feet tall. I have been told to do 12 foot centers (stalk to stalk) this seems a little drastic. In years past I have shoved plants in using 8-9 centers (in mid june) and it worked fine. This year im starting earlier and have a tad bigger plants.....basically I wondering if doing 40-45 plants and super spacing them out can out yield doing 45-50 plants and shoving them in using 9 foot centers....sorry for the confusing sequence of logic but I am just typing as im thinking....HAPPY PLANTING PEOPLE! Tis the season!!

straincreation

straincreation

Ok so here is the jist of it,if im understanding you correctly, from my previous grows outdoors and I was growing half sativas (multiple haze varieties). And half indicas (yoda, pure kush ETC.). So this iis what I seen forst couple years let them do there thing, mind you I was running about that sQ footage , and and only 36 plants at the time. So I was yeilding about a p in a half in the sativas per plant at about 7to9 ft tall , indica 1/2a p to 3/4 . At about 4 to 6ft.tall. with my soil and fert reg.

straincreation

straincreation

Sorry wasnt dine at all pushe dthe pist button on accident. Like I was saying . The next season I decided I need to do some really radical LST. Which was quite insane, I kick my self in the ass now for not taking pics. Was younger and was a little more scared of the law then, no pics no evidence you know. Any ways im off subject.. when the sativas got about 6 ft tall I took 6ft bamboo sticks and made a perimeter around the plant took the strongest looking branches from the earliest internodes and streched um down. To allow light penetration and air flow .so I had eight 5ft brances in a circle streched damn near horizontal. Plants were about 6ft in diameter and 80% of them were 12 ft+ tall just beautiful ladies these girls makes me smile even today thinkig back. Over all everyone yeilded over 2ps. So my advice is if you space um out utilize the space man. If whether or not your hooked on the 45-50, spaced or not spacdd if so use the space to your advantage, because unlike when you go indoors , tgise ladues will cammand and conquer out side. But its just my two cents happy farming .

P.s. never relly took the indicas to this extreme did something on a smaller scale with one, a bit differnt and she didnt like it so stuck to topping the hellout of um, and hitting them with some extra bush master to bush those bbs out , by the end of my outdoor years I was yeilding substantially more off them..but oh and bush master is no longer sold sorry . Fucking CANCER...;)

Baylife

Baylife

Sorry wasnt dine at all pushe dthe pist button on accident. Like I was saying . The next season I decided I need to do some really radical LST. Which was quite insane, I kick my self in the ass now for not taking pics. Was younger and was a little more scared of the law then, no pics no evidence you know. Any ways im off subject.. when the sativas got about 6 ft tall I took 6ft bamboo sticks and made a perimeter around the plant took the strongest looking branches from the earliest internodes and streched um down. To allow light penetration and air flow .so I had eight 5ft brances in a circle streched damn near horizontal. Plants were about 6ft in diameter and 80% of them were 12 ft+ tall just beautiful ladies these girls makes me smile even today thinkig back. Over all everyone yeilded over 2ps. So my advice is if you space um out utilize the space man. If whether or not your hooked on the 45-50, spaced or not spacdd if so use the space to your advantage, because unlike when you go indoors , tgise ladues will cammand and conquer out side. But its just my two cents happy farming .

P.s. never relly took the indicas to this extreme did something on a smaller scale with one, a bit differnt and she didnt like it so stuck to topping the hellout of um, and hitting them with some extra bush master to bush those bbs out , by the end of my outdoor years I was yeilding substantially more off them..but oh and bush master is no longer sold sorry . Fucking CANCER...;)

so your saying pretty much space the plants out.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Whats up everyone. I have an issue regarding plant spacing. I have a limited area I am growing in (3000 sq ft.) I am using 300 gallon pots and putting my plants in the third week of may. The plants are about 1.5-2 feet tall. I have been told to do 12 foot centers (stalk to stalk) this seems a little drastic. In years past I have shoved plants in using 8-9 centers (in mid june) and it worked fine. This year im starting earlier and have a tad bigger plants.....basically I wondering if doing 40-45 plants and super spacing them out can out yield doing 45-50 plants and shoving them in using 9 foot centers....sorry for the confusing sequence of logic but I am just typing as im thinking....HAPPY PLANTING PEOPLE! Tis the season!!
It is not drastic, not if you plan on easily tending your plants and not missing any spots. I'm not kidding about this. YOU chose to use 300gals! :p Or, keep them smaller... ;)

I hear you on the centers, and that's probably what I have going on myself down below. It makes tending in between plants difficult until I get them all hemmed in with Hortonova. But then the interior can become densely packed, so you'll wanna clean that out as well as you can.

Baylife

Baylife

M
It is not drastic, not if you plan on easily tending your plants and not missing any spots. I'm not kidding about this. YOU chose to use 300gals! :p Or, keep them smaller... ;)

I hear you on the centers, and that's probably what I have going on myself down below. It makes tending in between plants difficult until I get them all hemmed in with Hortonova. But then the interior can become densely packed, so you'll wanna clean that out as well as you can.

My whole thing is the fenced in area. In an ideal world is love to space them more than enough. But when it comes down to choosing to not plant 5 plants it becomes more of a big decision.

When a plant starts touching other plants or fences it signals to the plant to stop growing. This can loose pounds per plant so this is a big deciding point....there's gotta be a middle ground but I'm pretty sure I just gotta decide to either space or clutter....I hate fences.

straincreation

straincreation

Pretty much I mean for max yeild id go this route, just get um big and strong these next couple months before late august and your in good shape. like seamaiden said up above gets a bit tricky when you need to maintenance but for max yeild if you plan to LST that would be the best to do. Again just my opinion . And if there is anything your unclear about above let me know.. happy farming

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
M

My whole thing is the fenced in area. In an ideal world is love to space them more than enough. But when it comes down to choosing to not plant 5 plants it becomes more of a big decision.

When a plant starts touching other plants or fences it signals to the plant to stop growing. This can loose pounds per plant so this is a big deciding point....there's gotta be a middle ground but I'm pretty sure I just gotta decide to either space or clutter....I hate fences.
Same here, I've got limited space that's fenced, and it's GOT to be within the fenced area. In fact, I'm more limited because I have two fenced gardens that I *could* use, except that one is visible from the road and that violates the local zoning ordinance. Because it'll hurt the children or the neighbors if they see a fucking pot plant, irreparably.

I didn't know that about when they start touching each other, so I'm wondering, what if you did what I do and when they start to hang out over the pots you kinda bring them back in with the Hortonova? Does that cause the same reaction? It's what I've been doing because I do have to squeeze mine together, or grow fewer plants, or force them to be smaller overall.

bareftfarmr

bareftfarmr

Give them SPACE!!!!! You can put a few plants in a different area if it means giving the main show all the light. It's not just about being able to walk around your plant to tend to your garden but allowing air flow between plants and most importantly not casting shadows on each other once they start to fill in. If your running 300+ I would try and do minimum 10 ft, plants will get around 8ft wide, not much walking room. we're going to run 15x18ft centers, with 20 plants. We were going to put all 25 in none spot, but it would have been to crowded for our liking.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
M

When a plant starts touching other plants or fences it signals to the plant to stop growing.

I didn't know that about when they start touching each other, so I'm wondering, what if you did what I do and when they start to hang out over the pots you kinda bring them back in with the Hortonova? Does that cause the same reaction? It's what I've been doing because I do have to squeeze mine together, or grow fewer plants, or force them to be smaller overall.

That cant be right, can it? People pack plants close together all the time.
Plants grow right though netting all the time.
Sure, you want air flow and more space is always better. But I dont think a plant stops growing when it touches a fence or another plant.

I put these wayyy too close together last year:facepalm:..(Bout 3 foot centers)
Ewokbed825

Ewokbed920

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
So yeah...Give you plants room!
..Dont learn the hard way like I keep doing!:wacky:

Baylife

Baylife

That cant be right, can it? People pack plants close together all the time.
Plants grow right though netting all the time.
Sure, you want air flow and more space is always better. But I dont think a plant stops growing when it touches a fence or another plant.

I put these wayyy too close together last year:facepalm:..(Bout 3 foot centers)
View attachment 408820
View attachment 408819
For sure, a plant that has the genetic potentional to produce big chunky colas isn't going to loose that genetic potentional because of stress. The overall yield will be be lessened though. Once plants are growing into each other (not just one leaf touching another leaf) then the rate of growth that was previously observed will start to decrease. This is pretty basic horticulturalist knowledge. As far as marijuana gardening maybe certain strains are less inclined to stress as hard as others. When plants touch after the post-flower stress the effects are less than if they have been growing into each other for months.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
No doupt your right about yeild being less..
But, and im just guessing or typing out my ass here, but, if you look at the way hemp and cannabis grow in the wild..It grows pretty clumped up..
when a Bud full of seeds falls to the ground...lots of those seeds pop up!
So Maybe Weed is kinda used to being crowded?

IDK :confused:
Im stoned :p

Latest posts

Top Bottom