Spectrum King Leds - Anybod Using These?

• Thread starter motherlode
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tags420

tags420

Tags what about the black dogs,are they a chinese import too?It seems every led maker has to try to baffle you with bullshit and make outrageous claims to get you to pony up 5-6 times the money for their fixture vs HPS,every time someone i know buys one they end up in veg in a corner.
Hate to say it...but yet another sub par(pun intended) light.

Generic Chinese encapsulated diodes(20ish% efficient). They were "orginal" in design for a while...not parts though(which is most important). Then Mars copied. They are not 100% the same as with other Chinese lights like balckstar, but are close enough in design(BD has a taller housing)...but the chips are the same for both. Slight differnt spectrums used of the same chips...but same lower intensity across both.

Both Mars and BD have insufficient cooling. And when using generics that is even harder to cool(less effcint means more heat) and more important to have correct cooling to maximize the lower performance from the get go. Both Mars and black dog are notorious for diodes literally burning out...you can see the heat burns on the pcb's when they do. BD will replace it and is good with their warranty...but it should happen in the first place.

Mars price makes it seem ok...by its not and hps will wipe the floor with them.
Every company should give a 5yr warranty. But with best lights...you should never have to use it. Ever. Maybe a fan at most.

Last edited:
MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

I've been following Spectrum King's channel pretty closely. Sometimes it's like he doesn't even understand simple concepts when you ask. I also don't like how he gets so defensive when people ask questions.

For the record I don't think he had the Gavita DE 1k dialed down. But throughout his whole comparison you could plainly see the 1k HPS buds were bigger than the ones under his lights, even though he kept insisting the opposite.

And why would anyone want an LED designed like a spot light using that high bay fixture? Maybe these would be ok for a warehouse, but there are people cutting holes in their grow tents just to fit these lights inside with that massive heatsink/radiator.

Wisher619

Wisher619

From My understanding Spectrum king uses either 60/90/120 projection for their led so either you can use a 60 which is a point beam or a 90 which will spread or a 120 which will really spread...has nothing to do with the fixture as led is point light not 360 like a bulb....there is no reflection per se only point and shoot so the spotlight deal is not true and I haven't seen anyone yet cutting holes in anything as the dimension
18-1/16″ x 14-9/16″ x 12-9/16″

as apposed to

22.3"/567mm (length) x 9.4”/240mm (width) x 13,4”/341mm (height)

for the 1000k Gavita so it actually looks like the LED is about 1" shorter.....interesting

I believe they state that if you are running a 120 then you can run it 15" above canopy and it will run a 5'x5' grow space in flowers if your tent is 6'7" minus say 15" of clearance for light and 15" for canopy to light that leaves you with 4' to work with which is usually what people run in a tent anyways

also I don't think that he was at all saying that the 1k was smaller....what i saw in his videos were him saying that he was disappointed with the energy draw compared to the weight....and in their tests the Hortilux killed all but the problem is gram per watt which his LED blew away all of them so even though his crop was smaller the amount of money spent vs weigh accumulated outweighed the others....what i want to see is when he runs the Black Dog and other LED brands side by side against his

keiksweat

keiksweat

From My understanding Spectrum king uses either 60/90/120 projection for their led so either you can use a 60 which is a point beam or a 90 which will spread or a 120 which will really spread...has nothing to do with the fixture as led is point light not 360 like a bulb....there is no reflection per se only point and shoot so the spotlight deal is not true and I haven't seen anyone yet cutting holes in anything as the dimension
18-1/16″ x 14-9/16″ x 12-9/16″

as apposed to

22.3"/567mm (length) x 9.4”/240mm (width) x 13,4”/341mm (height)

for the 1000k Gavita so it actually looks like the LED is about 1" shorter.....interesting

I believe they state that if you are running a 120 then you can run it 15" above canopy and it will run a 5'x5' grow space in flowers if your tent is 6'7" minus say 15" of clearance for light and 15" for canopy to light that leaves you with 4' to work with which is usually what people run in a tent anyways

also I don't think that he was at all saying that the 1k was smaller....what i saw in his videos were him saying that he was disappointed with the energy draw compared to the weight....and in their tests the Hortilux killed all but the problem is gram per watt which his LED blew away all of them so even though his crop was smaller the amount of money spent vs weigh accumulated outweighed the others....what i want to see is when he runs the Black Dog and other LED brands side by side against his

anyone seen plantphotonics led,osram diodes.big aluminium heat sink base.looks pretty cool.only 120w or 240 true wattage though.what u reckon as I might go for one of these..cheers

Wisher619

Wisher619

I see one huge problem with that company...........

They use Wikipedia for all scientific reference which we all know to be wildly inaccurate!!!!!
IMO they are bullshit...but that is just me......Plants don't use just Blue or Red...they use all colors of the spectrum....in my understanding plants can use any color when another is unavailable....Now if the company gave a full spectrum led then i would def look into that ......have you ever seen the atmosphere red or blue.....all light usually is pure white to the eye because the CRI is 100 and the spectrum is full array
Plants developed with this spectrum so I would tend to want to use this type of light for my plants......I am an out door grower but I do it in many differ styles...In %Gal buckets and in ground.....No indoor grower would ever be able to touch in ground.....but my sun is much better then any Artificial Light source

In other news......both HPS and MH have Red and Blue but neither show a pink or purple hue.....As close to sun as possible is always better

Here is a good link to a company that is really doing it in the commercial industry

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

My lights kicks the shit out of spectrum king 1 gpw without trying

SAM 0765

IMG 20150610 002612

Wisher619

Wisher619

Here is another good link that is very informative in this subject

Wisher619

Wisher619

@REALSTYLES
What color spectrum are you using because it looks pretty white to me not the bullshit Purple that most LEDs run

and I believe that they ran 1.8 gpw if I am not mistaken which neither can touch my outdoor which is free wattage 10# per plant

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

@REALSTYLES
What color spectrum are you using because it looks pretty white to me not the bullshit Purple that most LEDs run

and I believe that they ran 1.8 gpw if I am not mistaken which neither can touch my outdoor which is free wattage 10# per plant
Cheater lol

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I see one huge problem with that company...........

They use Wikipedia for all scientific reference which we all know to be wildly inaccurate!!!!!
IMO they are bullshit...but that is just me......Plants don't use just Blue or Red...they use all colors of the spectrum....in my understanding plants can use any color when another is unavailable....Now if the company gave a full spectrum led then i would def look into that ......have you ever seen the atmosphere red or blue.....all light usually is pure white to the eye because the CRI is 100 and the spectrum is full array
Plants developed with this spectrum so I would tend to want to use this type of light for my plants......I am an out door grower but I do it in many differ styles...In %Gal buckets and in ground.....No indoor grower would ever be able to touch in ground.....but my sun is much better then any Artificial Light source

In other news......both HPS and MH have Red and Blue but neither show a pink or purple hue.....As close to sun as possible is always better

Here is a good link to a company that is really doing it in the commercial industry
But I can grow all year round and your yields are affected in the winter. I too grow outdoors but my indoor is much stronger. I'd rather have 3lbs good instead of 10lbs of just ok.

SAM 0687 1

Wisher619

Wisher619

hahahha yeah for sure...but I have been looking into getting a little 5x5 tent and I want to run LED instead of HID and Spectrum king is the best that I have seen so far beside building your own which I am def not gonna be able to do or the Real Commercial Market which is already there in other countries but those fixture are not available to is as small time hobbiests per se

Wisher619

Wisher619

I am not really effected by winter as my season starts in March and ends about mid Dec....Between 56-75 all year with a small dip from Jan-March

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I am not really effected by winter as my season starts in March and ends about mid Dec....Between 56-75 all year with a small dip from Jan-March
My bad I forgot to say I make my lights and they are Cree CXB3590 3500k mixed with some 3000ks and I have them turned down due to summer. When it cools down I'll turn them up. Right now they are running at 186 watts each but can be turned up to 413 watts each fixture.

Wisher619

Wisher619

I believe spectrum king runs Cree as well... the run 200 2w individuals extremely close together....if I had the skill set to build my own i would but I am not even gonna pretend...yours look really nice and solid
Great Flowers by the way

REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

I believe spectrum king runs Cree as well... the run 200 2w individuals extremely close together....if I had the skill set to build my own i would but I am not even gonna pretend...yours look really nice and solid
Great Flowers by the way
I'm thinking of getting one for shits and giggles just to test(grow) and compare with my light because I'm thinking of starting a custom light company. I already know my lights beat HPS I use to grow for a dispensary using HPS lights and I see the difference.

Wisher619

Wisher619

for sure...IMO you have probably the best looking DIY LED tht I have seen so far....I think it would be sick to run them side by side to see what SK can actually do

keiksweat

keiksweat

plantphotonics will build your lights however the spec u want,sounds good to me.what you think realstyles

Wisher619

Wisher619

@keiksweat
Are you from Europe....there are a lot of company's in Europe....IMO Spectrum King is on the right track...I don't believe in the "Growers Market" when it comes to lighting and pretty much anything else sold to the "Growers Market"...I am lucky enough to live where Agriculture and indoor flower production is huge...not cannabis but actual Cut Flower...if you visit those facilities you would notice that everything they use is way better then anything you can get on the market built for us consumers....Take for instance look at Plant Photonics website and then take a look at Valoya website which is a company that makes LED for the commercial AG business...you will notice a HUGE difference...and yes Valoya make light specific to the Cannabis industry...as a matter of fact they are being used in the Worlds first medical cannibis Facility in Illinois....IMO th only way to achieve real success is. to copy what those company's do in a DIY such as Styles has done with the highest grade parts...

Wisher619

Wisher619

Here is a pretty cool link that is to me pretty informative

Latest posts

Top Bottom