Spider Farmer SE3000 Help! Please

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Tbh, I think you are overthinking things. Foliar feeding is a waste of time in most cases. The plant roots take up way more nutrients than the leaves ever will. Like 1000x as much so why try to feed through the leaves? Maybe a little Nitrogen via the leaves but it'll be so minimal that you won't notice a difference.

Up the lights and apply some LST before it's too late is my recommendation. Your plant looks good to me otherwise.
Foliar feeding works great. Nutes are immediately available. OP is feeding the roots and its not working.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Foliar feeding works great. Nutes are immediately available. OP is feeding the roots and its not working.
Explain the science behind foliar feeding versus root feeding then? You figure all plants uptake nutrients better via their foliage than their roots?

growsince79

growsince79

Right...the LEDs would measure differently I forgot that. So is lux more common for measuring with LEDs?
You can use either. Just know that every plant is different and every meter is different. You need to find the sweet spot then use the meter to keep you there.

growsince79

growsince79

Explain the science behind foliar feeding versus root feeding then? You figure all plants uptake nutrients better via their foliage than their roots?
I never said the take up nutrients better, they take it up faster though without adding salts to the soil or nute mix. Been working for me for over 40 years. I didn't know it wasn't allowed.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
You can use either. Just know that every plant is different and every meter is different. You need to find the sweet spot then use the meter to keep you there.
I'm sorry brother but in this case, almost all plants are the same. You will never get the amount of nutrients through the foliage as you will the roots.

A simple comparison would be rubbing Aloe on my face versus ingesting it. Totally different benefits there for each application. Plants are not really different in this sense.

growsince79

growsince79

I never said the take up nutrients better, they take it up faster though without adding salts to the soil or nute mix. Been working for me for over 40 years. I didn't know it wasn't allowed.
Google says I'm allowed.

What are the advantages of foliar feeding?

Foliar uptake of nutrients is much faster than root uptake. Therefore foliar fertilization is the method of choice when deficiency symptoms are noted, and prompt correction of deficiencies is required. Nutrients rapidly absorbed through the foliage, providing the plant with the missing nutrients, and strengthening it.

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
It is allowed but not really needed is all.

growsince79

growsince79

I'm sorry brother but in this case, almost all plants are the same. You will never get the amount of nutrients through the foliage as you will the roots.

A simple comparison would be rubbing Aloe on my face versus ingesting it. Totally different benefits there for each application. Plants are not really different in this sense.
All the farmers around here use airplanes to foliar feed the crops. I'll let them know its a bad idea. LMAO

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Google says I'm allowed.

What are the advantages of foliar feeding?

Foliar uptake of nutrients is much faster than root uptake. Therefore foliar fertilization is the method of choice when deficiency symptoms are noted, and prompt correction of deficiencies is required. Nutrients rapidly absorbed through the foliage, providing the plant with the missing nutrients, and strengthening it.
What Google didn't tell you is that it's a quick fix for a short term problem. Foliar feeding isn't a long term solution. This is not how plants uptake nutrients most efficiently.

I'm not going to argue about how plants take up nutrients efficiently. It's the roots....period. You don't have to know anything about plants to understand that.

All the farmers around here use airplanes to foliar feed the crops. I'll let them know its a bad idea. LMAO
Do you think this is foliage feeding? Sure some drop on the plants but this is for the soil. I have an uncle that crop dusts corn in NE and he isn't foliar feeding the crops. He is dropping nutes on acres of soil. The goal is to fertilize the soil, not the leaves...Lol.

That's it though. I've said my peace. OP knows what's up and what to do.

Jakecan

Jakecan

So I know he is growing in coco coir which is inert. Wouldn't it make sense to use calmag directly into the substrate? Otherwise you will have to keep foliar feeding and watering. If you need to add some calmag why not just add it directly to the nutrient mix into your substrate? Foliar spraying just seems like an extra step. Personally I think your plants look great. If you think you need a calmag boost then go for it. But I wouldn't foliar it.

growsince79

growsince79

What Google didn't tell you is that it's a quick fix for a short term problem. Foliar feeding isn't a long term solution. This is not how plants uptake nutrients most efficiently.

I'm not going to argue about how plants take up nutrients efficiently. It's the roots....period. You don't have to know anything about plants to understand that.

Do you think this is foliage feeding? Sure some drop on the plants but this is for the soil. I have an uncle that crop dusts corn in NE and he isn't foliar feeding the crops. He is dropping nutes on acres of soil. The goal is to fertilize the soil, not the leaves...Lol.

That's it though. I've said my peace. OP knows what's up and what to do.
I asked my next door neighbor what they were spraying on his farms and he said it was foliar feeding. I'll let him know that was meant for the soil not the leaves. He can set the rest of them straight. They might want to just till it in next time, I don't think that fine mist got in the soil very good- it all stuck to the leaves. lol

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
Physics my friend...think about it...Lol.

I mean because water just sticks to leaves...🤣

growsince79

growsince79

So I know he is growing in coco coir which is inert. Wouldn't it make sense to use calmag directly into the substrate? Otherwise you will have to keep foliar feeding and watering. If you need to add some calmag why not just add it directly to the nutrient mix into your substrate? Foliar spraying just seems like an extra step. Personally I think your plants look great. If you think you need a calmag boost then go for it. But I wouldn't foliar it.
I'd do both. Foliar will correct the problem now. Adding to the mix will take a couple days and will keep it in check

MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

Youre overthinking my friend. Lots of good advice been given. Luxx app on your phone is junk you need a par meter for led. 50% at 24 inches when seedlings and bump up if they get stretchy. Temperature affects your medium which affects what food it gets/how quick it eats. Young plants dont have a strong root system and do much better foliar fed and kept in a warm and humid environment. Led causes plants to need more calcium generally and coco sucks up calcium and magnesium if im not mistaken. If you didnt "charge" your coco that may be your issue. Also foliar feeding is great in so many instances from fixing nutrient deficiences, boosting calcium during veg and flower, silica for halting stretch and stopping PM, and applying pesticides and benefical bacteria.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Heyyy!!! Got some awesome debates and discussions going on....which I love because that’s what drives us to dig deeper. I sort of knew coco absorbs magnesium...or maybe it was calcium, or both? But I did not charge it because I transplanted probably early. I’m wondering though....how long until there’s enough for the plant after the coco steals whatever it’s gonna steal? Maybe a couple more feedings?

Anyway, thank you guys for all of the great info and help. I promise I’m retaining this stuff for the next grow so I don’t have to be such a pest lol. As my old pal used to say.... One Love!

growsince79

growsince79

Heyyy!!! Got some awesome debates and discussions going on....which I love because that’s what drives us to dig deeper. I sort of knew coco absorbs magnesium...or maybe it was calcium, or both? But I did not charge it because I transplanted probably early. I’m wondering though....how long until there’s enough for the plant after the coco steals whatever it’s gonna steal? Maybe a couple more feedings?

Anyway, thank you guys for all of the great info and help. I promise I’m retaining this stuff for the next grow so I don’t have to be such a pest lol. As my old pal used to say.... One Love!
Get the temp to 81 and you will see better uptake and might not need extra mg. in my garden leaf temp @ 79f is the sweet spot.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Get the temp to 81 and you will see better uptake and might not need extra mg. in my garden leaf temp @ 79f is the sweet spot.
Ok, I’m working on it...if I bring the light a little higher power should do it. I think my radiator I bought maybe burned out one of the heating coils because it’s cooler in there even without the humidifier on.

MeechDGAF

MeechDGAF

Heyyy!!! Got some awesome debates and discussions going on....which I love because that’s what drives us to dig deeper. I sort of knew coco absorbs magnesium...or maybe it
Snapchat 1661232537
was calcium, or both? But I did not charge it because I transplanted probably early. I’m wondering though....how long until there’s enough for the plant after the coco steals whatever it’s gonna steal? Maybe a couple more feedings?

I used floraflex coco bricks and hydrated them with standard feed strength then planted seeds or clones. Like growsince said keep your ambient temps in the 80s if you can and your humidity over 60 ideally. Usually after a few nodes your plant will grow out of it, the current damage is done it wont get 100% better. Just watch your new growth and
Snapchat 1661232537
keep your nutrients at the recommended strength and at the right pH you should be good.

Jakecan

Jakecan

Just keep feeding how you've been feeding imo. Your coco will become fully saturated with the nutrient rich water you've been using. Seedlings are finicky and one little thing can make them look unhappy. Yours look far from unhappy but I do agree I think it's time for more light.

Top Bottom