Spider Mite Anihilation!

• Thread starter cannakis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Some tips for keeping your garden mite free.
Keep your space clean, if you have been working outside take a shower and put on clean clothes before working in the garden, keep pets out of the space, don't let other people come into your space, quarantine and treat new plants. Even a couple mites in the garden is too many, few will soon become many. My rose bushes outside have mites every year and they have never made it into my indoor garden. The only mites I've had came from cuts I failed to treat and quarantine properly. I don't treat flowering plants at all so if I get a couple mites in the garden I would have serious issues. A couple mites untreated will become a vast population with quickness.

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I don't have problems with mites but to think you don't have any, period.
You must be one that looks at the world thru rose colored glasses.

I see you have had them though must've let your guard down, aye?
Yes I've had them, made the mistake of bringing in dirty clones from someone who had mites. Then I eradicated them completely 100%. It's easy to tell if you killed every last one of them because if you don't you will know in a few weeks. I grow for a living full time and have been for many years this isn't my hobby it's my profession. I look at the world through a USB microscope not any colored glasses. I also work as a part time consultant and deal with other people's problems for them on a weekly basis. I deal with mites, root aphids, thrips, pm and other nasties on a regular basis. I'm in someone's infested garden at least once a week and I've never had any transfer of bugs because I keep my shit clean and practice preventative maintenance. Last week I went to three different gardens all ran by the same person all infested with mites and thrips. All three filthy with dead leaves all over the floor and no preventative maintenance. I don't think I don't have any mites I know with a certainty that I don't have them it's painfully obvious what happens when even just a couple mites make there way in.

shemshemet

shemshemet

I think you need to look up spidermites in Google and get to reading there boyz.

They are all over outside and you inadvertently bring them in, fact.
Every time you do yard work you run into them, weedeating, cutting the grass, pets bring them in, kids bring them in, yadda yadda yadda.
Bringing plants in and out and it don't matter what kind of plants.

Unless you got an out door shower and dressed for hazmat details, that you take off before you come inside, guess what you got them too.
They don't do any real damage until they are colonized.
So for people who say this is bullshit, you're probably standing in a cowyard.
Do some reading on the subject before flopping the lips. These are facts.
Not uneducated assumptions like most on here.

I've got one better than google, and that is an education including many courses in plant diseases and pests.

Yes it is possible and easy to bring spider mites inside, but they are not hazmat worthy. You're going above and beyond. A mite that hitches a ride on your shoes and clothes is not going to magically find your grow room across the house. Nor will it survive inside long enough for it to hitch a second ride into your room. They are really not that resilient.

For a home grower, just don't go directly from an outdoor garden to an indoor garden. And try not to let your dogs go from outside directly to your garden.

For a "commercial" or large scale grower, with lots of $$ invested, get a shower at your place, and keep a store of clean clothes to change into before entering your grow space. Honestly you can probably skip the shower too.

I have got mites multiple times before I realized my problem. Now I've been growing 2+ years completely mite free. Don't bring infested plants into your room, including non cannabis. And my mite infestations have always started out very small. I believe if you spot any amount of spider mites/ongoing damage, they will inevitably colonize unless you eradicate. But, if you do not physically introduce mites (or eggs) to your grow space, you will not have a problem with mites.

Last week I went to three different gardens all ran by the same person all infested with mites and thrips. All three filthy with dead leaves all over the floor and no preventative maintenance. I don't think I don't have any mites I know with a certainty that I don't have them it's painfully obvious what happens when even just a couple mites make there way in.

I disagree about the leaves. Leaves do not harbor spider mites if there are no spider mites to begin with. I keep a thick layer of leaves on top of my soil.

Now if an infestation is already in place, you absolutely MUST get rid of leaves and all debris in the room. Prior to a borax scrub of course, which is really what is going to kill all mites and eggs.

Last edited:
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I've got one better than google, and that is an education including many courses in plant diseases and pests.

Yes it is possible and easy to bring spider mites inside, but they are not hazmat worthy. You're going above and beyond. A mite that hitches a ride on your shoes and clothes is not going to magically find your grow room across the house. Nor will it survive inside long enough for it to hitch a second ride into your room. They are really not that resilient.

For a home grower, just don't go directly from an outdoor garden to an indoor garden. And try not to let your dogs go from outside directly to your garden.

For a "commercial" or large scale grower, with lots of $$ invested, get a shower at your place, and keep a store of clean clothes to change into before entering your grow space. Honestly you can probably skip the shower too.

I have got mites multiple times before I realized my problem. Now I've been growing 2+ years completely mite free. Don't bring infested plants into your room, including non cannabis. And my mite infestations have always started out very small. I believe if you spot any amount of spider mites/ongoing damage, they will inevitably colonize unless you eradicate. But, if you do not physically introduce mites (or eggs) to your grow space, you will not have a problem with mites.

I disagree about the leaves. Leaves do not harbor spider mites if there are no spider mites to begin with. I keep a thick layer of leaves on top of my soil.

Now if an infestation is already in place, you absolutely MUST get rid of leaves and all debris in the room. Prior to a borax scrub of course, which is really what is going to kill all mites and eggs.
Didn't mean to imply that dead leaves will cause mite issues. Just that many of the gardens I visit with problems have one thing on common , they are a mess and ran by slobs that can't take the time to clean up their space. Pretty sad when theses people are growing "medicine " for others. I'm not saying you need to maintain lab sterile environment but cleanliness helps a lot.

Michal

Michal

Oi, I rarely get on here but am glad to see experience and logic have prevailed over bro-stoner nonsense.

Guardian ;) I'll leave that one alone.

Nah.

I stopped using Guardian once I realized I could just blend up my paper money and spray it on the plants as is. Cutting out the middleman for the win.

Theweednurse

Theweednurse

Have major infestation... All stemming from one corner which is usually wet because of leaning on house so water runs off there...

Sprayed which I forgot to do for a month... Killed some but there's still some thriving colonies.

RIU suggested using Big Time Exterminator.? Also thinking of buying some extra lady bugs and predator mites.?

I'm in a seaofgreen and would like to keep the girls. The main infestation is in plants that will be ready in a couple weeks... Should I just remove them now and throw away? Wait till finished and water cure? Thanks so much for the help!!!
Have you tried neem oil?

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Cuz its a fact look up spideymites on the net.
Also a person does not completely rid themselves of mites, anyone who gardens has them.
It's when the group gets big enough to colonize is when they're at their worse.
Your grow area might be a tad to dry.
All info is on the net, read about your enemy before going to war with them.
Freezing don't even eradicate them they find warm places like cracks and crevices in the winter.

My buddy let his house freeze up while he was in mexico due to run after run getting the mites back. Two weeks at -20ish and he hasnt seen them come back yet. I hope for his sake they dont.

M

motz

That's how they get rid of cockroaches in travel trailers also. New ones.

Patanjali

Patanjali

I use neem,stylet oil and azamax as part of the rotation. Kills the weak ones and leaves the stronger bastards pissed off and ready to re-populate
Are you emulsifying your neem oil? If not, the killing power will be substantially reduced. Azamax is a derivitive of neem oil - use neem oil instead it's far superior. When spraying for mites it is important to spray every 3 days for 3-4 sprayings. This will disrupt the breeding cycle.

hth,

P-

shemshemet

shemshemet

My buddy let his house freeze up while he was in mexico due to run after run getting the mites back. Two weeks at -20ish and he hasnt seen them come back yet. I hope for his sake they dont.

Only problem is a freeze won't kill eggs. If you don't have any plants carrying over from previous run, just spray the place down with a borax solution.

Top Bottom