Spider Mite, Root Aphids And Pesticides

• Thread starter Greengrower8
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If it makes you feel better, Imid is already in a ton of your produce. It's used extensively on Hops and grapes and all sorts of different crops. It's pretty well long established to be harmless to animals and humans when used properly.

When I had RA's it boiled down to treating them, or scrapping them. There is no inbetween. And I wasnt about to lose my clone only cuts. Having made the decision to treat, with Root Apids you'd better kill them all. Otherwise you may as well chop it all down and start over. Seriously.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
There is a few papers on it I believe. This is one I just found but the reproductive numbers are slightly lower than the ones I mentioned. I have to work tonight but I'll see if I can find the other article later on.

As for the other statement about producing super mites, that would mainly be from getting less than 100% kill rate on mites with a boosted reproductive rate.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12216813/
thank you brother

P

PharmHand

Azamax drenches can help eliminate RAs too. A friend had a bad infestation a lil while back, noticed it mid flower, he did azamax and botaniguard drenches alternating weekly- still pulled a very respectable crop. There are also options available to greenhouse vegetable growers for elimination of RAs that would likely work even better than imid or merit. I’m not gonna advocate their use but the options are there if you do some searching

G

Greengrower8

Azamax drenches can help eliminate RAs too. A friend had a bad infestation a lil while back, noticed it mid flower, he did azamax and botaniguard drenches alternating weekly- still pulled a very respectable crop. There are also options available to greenhouse vegetable growers for elimination of RAs that would likely work even better than imid or merit. I’m not gonna advocate their use but the options are there if you do some searching

I’m my experience, Azamax does not eliminate RAs. When this outbreak originally started, the plants that were initially infested were treated weekly with Azamax for several weeks. The RAs could have cared less. Additional treatments did nothing. It was at this point that I started using biologics to control them. But like I said, after a few months and multiple BCA applications the RAs still remain. However they have been kept at a level that is manageable. They aren’t doing excessive damage to the roots to where the plants are getting sick. If you didn’t look inside the bucket you would never know there was a problem. Honestly, what’s most annoying about them is that the fliers get stuck in the buds and have to be constantly picked out. All that being said, over the past couple weeks I have noticed an uptick in their population which is why I finally made the decision to shift from biologics to chemicals. I’m also getting close to finishing up all my cuttings so I can nuke and restart.

Your last comments are perplexing - saying that there are other products out there that will work better, but refraining to list anything specific and then back tracking and saying, but I don’t recommend using any of them. It just doesn’t make any sense. You’re right in that there are probably dozens if not more products that claim to kill RAs. However 90% (probably more) are absolute snake oil - that or they have absolutely no business being used on cannabis. Doing a brainless google search on products that kill RAs is gonna do nothing except provide a bunch of useless or downright false information - which is why I brought the conversation here so that it can be discussed by experienced people in very similar situations.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I’m my experience, Azamax does not eliminate RAs. When this outbreak originally started, the plants that were initially infested were treated weekly with Azamax for several weeks. The RAs could have cared less. Additional treatments did nothing. It was at this point that I started using biologics to control them. But like I said, after a few months and multiple BCA applications the RAs still remain. However they have been kept at a level that is manageable. They aren’t doing excessive damage to the roots to where the plants are getting sick. If you didn’t look inside the bucket you would never know there was a problem. Honestly, what’s most annoying about them is that the fliers get stuck in the buds and have to be constantly picked out. All that being said, over the past couple weeks I have noticed an uptick in their population which is why I finally made the decision to shift from biologics to chemicals. I’m also getting close to finishing up all my cuttings so I can nuke and restart.

Your last comments are perplexing - saying that there are other products out there that will work better, but refraining to list anything specific and then back tracking and saying, but I don’t recommend using any of them. It just doesn’t make any sense. You’re right in that there are probably dozens if not more products that claim to kill RAs. However 90% (probably more) are absolute snake oil - that or they have absolutely no business being used on cannabis. Doing a brainless google search on products that kill RAs is gonna do nothing except provide a bunch of useless or downright false information - which is why I brought the conversation here so that it can be discussed by experienced people in very similar situations.

I think he was maybe talking about some of the more potent insecticides that are used in the greenhouse industry and on field crops like Orthene, Flagship, Atlas, Avid etc... The thing is most of them are for either ornamentals or vegetables, and they are very toxic and potentially dangerous to work with. We cant even buy any of this stuff in Canada anymore without strict licensing and registration, as well as use documenting, and reporting it all to the ministry of environment.. I wouldn't feel comfortable using stuff like that on a plant I'm going to smoke if there are other potentially viable, and safer options first, and I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone using them either, with the exception of possibly orthene early in Veg.

That said, If I had to save genetics, I would use whatever I had to and veg it out for a few months before taking cuttings and vegging those a while longer before flowering.

Sadly at the end of the day, unless you consume strictly organic or homegrown food and drinks, you're probably already consuming loads of these pesticides. They are used nearly to the point of abuse on food crops, especially in the US and Mexico.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

In case you are using hps: I read on a different forum that the heat generated with hps and the resultant transpiration of the plants as well as evap from hydro create an ideal environment for bugs

G

Greengrower8

In case you are using hps: I read on a different forum that the heat generated with hps and the resultant transpiration of the plants as well as evap from hydro create an ideal environment for bugs

Absolute hogwash.

HPS bulbs don’t encourage bugs any more than any other light. And using them in hydro does not create some magical environment that pests love. Ridiculous.

The general problem is that just like people - bugs love cannabis and are easily attracted to it. Plain and simple.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Absolute hogwash.

HPS bulbs don’t encourage bugs any more than any other light. And using them in hydro does not create some magical environment that pests love. Ridiculous.

The general problem is that just like people - bugs love cannabis and are easily attracted to it. Plain and simple.

I forgot to say its the radiant HEAT hps generates

P

PharmHand

Ask for help but get hurt when you disagree with their answer..... azamax drenches most definitely help in combination w other treatments ,that is if you’re trying to go a less toxic route. And yea there are other more toxic solutions if u wanna go that route take some initiative and do some “brainless searches”. I’d rather you not poison yourself and possibly others by spoon feeding you the names of some toxic shit. Google is pretty easy to use if you’re not brainless:)

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Here's the full list of EWG's "Dirty Dozen" for 2019:

1. Strawberries
  2. Spinach
  3. Kale
  4. Nectarines
  5. Apples
  6. Grapes
  7. Peaches
  8. Cherries
  9. Pears
  10. Tomatoes
  11. Celery
  12. Potato's
:smoking: Here’s a list of produce with the most pesticides after washing to prep for eating.

G

Greengrower8

Ask for help but get hurt when you disagree with their answer..... azamax drenches most definitely help in combination w other treatments ,that is if you’re trying to go a less toxic route. And yea there are other more toxic solutions if u wanna go that route take some initiative and do some “brainless searches”. I’d rather you not poison yourself and possibly others by spoon feeding you the names of some toxic shit. Google is pretty easy to use if you’re not brainless:)

Dude. I’m not gonna go back and forth with you, but you’re the one who’s being a dick cuz I didn’t like your answer. I’m just saying I’ve used Azamax in the past and it didn’t do shit. You can believe whatever you want. I don’t have to agree with you. And as far as the rest of what you said - I stand by my statement that it makes no sense. Why in the fuck would I want to search, either with a brain or without, for chemicals that are MORE toxic than the chemicals I was considering? The whole point is to be less toxic not more. You or google spouting out a bunch of deadly chemicals that I could use is just effing pointless. Your attitude is pretentious and I don’t need your arrogant opinion. Ignored.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Best things for RA is chop everything down clean the grow space out 2x and let it sit for afew weeks. You have to go pretty nuclear with these guys

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Absolute hogwash.

RA is a species that thrives in media that is too wet and the groom isn't kept clean with good husbandry. HPS isn't the culprit. Agree with you Greengrower8

iceman3000

iceman3000

Well I will say this killing over 100 strians and thousands of plants is not a option.. as for mites that’s ez wettable sulfur will get that job done now for the RA still figuring that one out

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Never hear of it can’t find much info about it.. meeting with our LAB today.. I’ll ask them about the MODE..
I was joking, sorry. Pretty sure you need a license just to buy the stuff because it's so terrible.

Not joking, why not get predator bugs or make the environment something that the bugs cannot tolerate but plants can i.e. fungus gnats do not like acidic soil, not sure about root aphids. Mites don't like high humidity, veg plants don't mind. Also, high brix keeps bugs off plants.

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter

Latest posts

Top Bottom