Spider mites!!! Are these methods affective?!?! Need help plz!!!

• Thread starter critical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
qupee

qupee

I agree with the others that say organics and neem do not get rid of mites, merely control them (with varying degrees of success).

I can tell you for sure azamax works! It won't immediately kill your mites, but it will stop them from getting worse. Just do the 3 applications every 7 - 10 days and you'll be good. If you don't do the minimum 3... you're asking for trouble. I tried numerous neem sprays. Azamax has been the only non-floramite product to work for me!

If you do use Azamax, I would recommend applying every 72 hours, or 3 days. 7 - 10 days is far too long. Azamax does not harm eggs, so you may cull the adults, but in a couple days a new generation is hatched. If you do this often the mites WILL build resistance.

Floramite is very good, but as someone mentioned mites can and are developing resistance to it.

Forbid 4F is another treatment that is very effective and so far has not been shown to allow resistance to develop.

Both of these are fairly serious pesticides. Please follow the recommended safety precautions and wear personal protective equipment. Do not use these products during flowering. They are also quite expensive in normal quantities, but small amounts can be purchased on Ebay.

C

critical

So far so good with the tomato leaf spray. Still getting reports back from others in my area that lavender tea spray also works effing tetas.

so the tomato spray has completey killed your mite infestation yea? i might have to try if this dosnt work, my plant vitality plus worked like 95% but today i searched my 15 girlys n found like 3 more mites n theres some eggs under leafs still but i been spraying all yesterday n today with water n turned my extracter fan off to keep the humidity above 95% n the temp. above 95-105 F as i heard keeping both above 80 could kill them also, but im guna go spray another plant vitality in a bit wen lights are out and reapet what iv been doing tomorow n hopefully i will be rid of em, if not i might have to try the tomato spray or my mate that i know said he knows were to get the floramite

i have also heard the best full proof thing and 100% organic thing to use is lady bugs/birds!!! any1 know if correct?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
So far so good with the tomato leaf spray. Still getting reports back from others in my area that lavender tea spray also works effing tetas.

hey SM is that the acyual name of the product? - whats the brand?
trying to help out an old timer here on the hill - poor guy has mites as bad as I have seen and is about to give up\

he wont use anything like avid

W

woody420

i vote on floramite being apply with a fogger works well if used before the mites come make sure to p.h. your water down into the 5.0-6.0 range before adding the floramite it makes it last longer on the plant

click80

click80

these mite threads keep on coming....when i first started in CO i had so much trouble with mites. The main reason was not getting them under control and keeping them under control. They are everywhere during the summer in most of the US. I also found that switching to this stuff and that stuff causes problems too, for me anyway. I do know that the miticides work well, but I have complete success with Azamax and Neem. I actually like to spray with Neem about 2 days before putting the girls into flower as it acts as an antitranspirant also.

Anyway, I found the magic system for me was Spray with Neem and spray good. Use a 2 gallon sprayer, dont fuck around with no little spray bottles. 3 days after first spray, spray their asses again. About 5 days after that spray with Azamax. I then spray with Neem about every 3 weeks. Since starting this, and always taking off my shoes before i go in my grow rooms, and i keep shit clean, clean, clean. I wash my walls every week frigging religiously with bleach/water. I cannot imagine if this worked for me with the probs i used to have that it would not work for anyone else. If you can afford Florabid, and want to use it then by all means do that. I do know it works for a lot of people.

just saying....lol

I should add that I also know of people that do not have any luck with Neem products, Like TK said, so I want to stress that this works for me, but I do know of competent people that it has not worked for who have gone to florabid or floramite, avid whtever....I suppose I should add that I keep a couple bottles of Rosemary tincture open in my rooms, cause it makes me feel all hippy and shit, but some peep say that mites hate that fragrance, and it is in some of the organic sprays like Ed's Nuke em dead stuff...and I also keep a whole bunch of Marigolds around my grow rooms, so maybe its all the above...I do know if you are persistent you will get it...I did, and I never thought i would get rid of them bastards.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
so the tomato spray has completey killed your mite infestation yea? i might have to try if this dosnt work, my plant vitality plus worked like 95% but today i searched my 15 girlys n found like 3 more mites n theres some eggs under leafs still but i been spraying all yesterday n today with water n turned my extracter fan off to keep the humidity above 95% n the temp. above 95-105 F as i heard keeping both above 80 could kill them also, but im guna go spray another plant vitality in a bit wen lights are out and reapet what iv been doing tomorow n hopefully i will be rid of em, if not i might have to try the tomato spray or my mate that i know said he knows were to get the floramite

i have also heard the best full proof thing and 100% organic thing to use is lady bugs/birds!!! any1 know if correct?
On the pot plants I've been spraying, yes, it's made a huge dent in numbers. But they've moved into corn and beans, which I'm not treating because I'm not able to make enough. For my weed I need around 2gals total for each treatment. This is requiring multiple treatments every 3-5 days (I'm working on every 3, but sometimes I just don't quite make it).

High humidity and cool temps prevented a serious infestation a couple of years ago in my flower room. The veg-table got a good infection, and RH was nowhere nearly as high and temps were warmer.
hey SM is that the acyual name of the product? - whats the brand?
trying to help out an old timer here on the hill - poor guy has mites as bad as I have seen and is about to give up\

he wont use anything like avid
Actual leaves from tomato plants. That concoction is a 1:1 ratio of leaves to water left to set 1-2 days. I'm working on getting more lavender, though, because that's what so many folks (jay) are talking about working well. My lavender plants aren't quite big enough to give me what I need, so that can create difficulties. Especially because I want to treat the veggies that have them as well.

O

Organicyumyum

this thread here is why I won't smoke anyone's herb but my own. For those of you saying organics don't work, that's crap! I grow all organically and never even have mites, and the few times someone has given me a plant with them I have gotten rid of them by spraying with neem and sns-217 switching it up every 3 days between the two. you have to be militant about it for a good 2 weeks. using compost teas regularly will help your plants fight against pests and disease as well. And as far as Floramite, Im sure some of you only use it in veg, but shame to anyone who is spraying that on flowers and then giving it to the clubs for patients. No club weed for me, too much P.M., chemicals, and pesticides, blah!

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
this thread here is why I won't smoke anyone's herb but my own. For those of you saying organics don't work, that's crap! I grow all organically and never even have mites, and the few times someone has given me a plant with them I have gotten rid of them by spraying with neem and sns-217 switching it up every 3 days between the two. you have to be militant about it for a good 2 weeks. using compost teas regularly will help your plants fight against pests and disease as well. And as far as Floramite, Im sure some of you only use it in veg, but shame to anyone who is spraying that on flowers and then giving it to the clubs for patients. No club weed for me, too much P.M., chemicals, and pesticides, blah!

thx for your oh so helpful post

Actual leaves from tomato plants. That concoction is a 1:1 ratio of leaves to water left to set 1-2 days. I'm working on getting more lavender, though, because that's what so many folks (jay) are talking about working well. My lavender plants aren't quite big enough to give me what I need, so that can create difficulties. Especially because I want to treat the veggies that have them as well.

thx for the recipe SM

click80

click80

new predator?

Here is a link to a new predator I heard about this morning...a friend of a friend had complete eradication of a medium-severe infestation...He told us that the infestation was to the point where they start capping growing tips with webs (why would anyone let it get that bad is beyond me), anyway he had these predator mites overnighted in and they established themselves quick enough to take over, in the time it did take them to get established (the predators) he was still able to spray the plants with Safer (pyrethrin type) evidently they have a subspecies that is P. resistant//

anyway here is the link.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Floramite...hands down the best IMO

Axomax is pretty much a concentated neem product so there is not that much benifit over a strait neem oil like Einstien Oil or Dyna neem

Tex

I will add my recommendation to Floramite SC, because of its residual effectiveness in dealing with newly hatched mites that come out days after application. That said, I wouldn't use it any closer than 6 weeks before harvest... which is where Azamax comes in. I disagree with Texas Kid here because I've found it to be a very effective miticide and general pest fighter. Read the application instructions carefully and use the rate that best describes your situation; often I've seen people mix it too weak to be effective against an entrenched infestation.

I tried straight neem oil and it was a gooey sloppy mess that didn't do shit to slow down bugs, IME.

click80

click80

I will add my recommendation to Floramite SC, because of its residual effectiveness in dealing with newly hatched mites that come out days after application. That said, I wouldn't use it any closer than 6 weeks before harvest... which is where Azamax comes in. I disagree with Texas Kid here because I've found it to be a very effective miticide and general pest fighter. Read the application instructions carefully and use the rate that best describes your situation; often I've seen people mix it too weak to be effective against an entrenched infestation.

I tried straight neem oil and it was a gooey sloppy mess that didn't do shit to slow down bugs, IME.

I hit my moms with it at the medium rate ( 2 tbl/gallon ) and unless the rosemary oil/tincture or marigolds that i keep around are doing something then it's the azamax keeping them way at bay for a good 2 months. I do notice something weird though. Sometimes I will find like one growing tip with a web, they are not on the leaves, but a few will make a web. I have put that down to maybe a little cloud of the buggers rolled through and the azamax is in the leaf enough to keep em off. Weird like i said. I read a paper from CSU and they have found (in their pest monitoring programs) clouds of them periodically rolling through the higher altitude Rockies, which is why i mentioned that.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Life cycle is key!

You have to hit them according to their cycles or you're wasting your time.

"Spider mite development differs somewhat between species but a typical life cycle is as follows. The eggs are attached to fine silk webbing and hatch in approximately three days. The life cycle is composed of the egg, the larva, two nymphal stages (protonymph and deutonymph) and the adult. The length of time from egg to adult varies greatly depending on temperature. Under optimum conditions (approximately 80 degrees F), spider mites complete their development in five to twenty days. There are many over-lapping generations per year. The adult female is capable of laying several hundred eggs during her life."

So every three days is ideal for up to 20 days (if you still see living mites), although I am comfortable stopping after 11 days of repeated soakings. Use the cocktail of your choice, azamax and neem are my preference, having never used floramite I have no record of it's effectiveness. I also find regular neem feedings, i.e. once every three weeks, sufficient to keep them from establishing.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Forbid4f is all you need. I don`t have experiance with Floramite but its suppose to be the same as Forbid. I had them awhile back and just couldn`t get rid of them until I followed direction. Once you start treating you need to treat every 3 days in veg with the heavy hitters. Azamax works great on knocking them back if your in bloom. Spot treating helped alot when I had them in bloom. I harvested a run and left 2 weak plants in the flower room until everything was dry. Than I bagged up all the dry plants,sprayed the shit out of the 2 mite infested bait plants, tossed them in the trash. and trimmed the run somewhere else, I treated the shit out of the room while it was empty and that was it. I haven`t seen them in long time thank god.

C

critical

well, thanks everybody for your help and advice, i went with my products i showed at the start of the thread, and completely soaked em the first nite with the plant vitality plus (it says mix every 25ml to a liter, so i mixed 3 lots of that for my 15 girls), then the second day i used a weak mix of the neem repel to keep em soaked n room humid(it says 20ml to every liter, i did about half strenth 3 times) , n that nite another 2 mixs of the plant vitality plus, then day 3 kept em soaked still with the neem repel humidity and temp above 95%, and today just my normal veg conditions( 78-86f and 65% humidity) and not 1 sign of the litlle shits!!!!! yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!! i think iv cured my prob n i hope im right!! im going to closely moniter the situation with a very sharp set of eyes as i already have n if it all stays clear then i will be a happy happy man!! it all looks good though so far the past 2 days i have not seen 1 sign of a mite!! so all good so far, thanks farmers xxx

C

critical

o yea... has any1 used any neem products? the plant vitalty perked my plants right up, every leaf was stood up pointing to the cieling!! but when i used the neem repel product it made them look happy even more!! all leafs went a darker shiney colour, n they all look like they arnt even real now!! they look like perfect shiney plastic models of mj plants!!! im not complaining though as they all look mite free n the most happy iv ever seen a mj plant in my life!!! n iv seen quite a thew... anyway il let you all know if it all stay clean n if so which it looks like it will then i will be recommending the way i got rid of these pesky lil pests.....speak to you all soon

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I have heard good stuff about the vitality

never heard of the repel

C

critical

yea i found some good reviews on the vitality to pal, all good so far, if not n they come back 1 of my mates said they can give me some of that floramite stuff, then il be fine, anyway hope all is well with your stuff at the mo. anything nice on ya menu?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm a little surprised to be saying this, but the tomato leaf spray seems to be working. I should probably be more diligent about hitting them every three days, I've been doing every five. I just can't do as much until I get this knee surgery done. Anyway, I see no more webbing, I see black spots that look like poops, and I see red eggs. So I sprayed again, have another batch of tomato + lavender flowers cooking, and will hit again sometime this weekend.

Dayumn. Tomato leaves?

C

critical

I'm a little surprised to be saying this, but the tomato leaf spray seems to be working. I should probably be more diligent about hitting them every three days, I've been doing every five. I just can't do as much until I get this knee surgery done. Anyway, I see no more webbing, I see black spots that look like poops, and I see red eggs. So I sprayed again, have another batch of tomato + lavender flowers cooking, and will hit again sometime this weekend.

Dayumn. Tomato leaves?

good luck s m, i think iv got rid of mine so give my method a try, i basicly hit em hard n done it militantly for 3 days solid(check a few posts earlyer in the thread) as soon as i noticed i had mites, not every 3 days, and now im guna check tomorow, after the two days clear so far, that should mean im free of em right? the eggs take 3 days to hach, and im sure i read on the web somewere that the plant vitality plus kills them in all stages, the eggs also? and that the neem product i used with it, like most neem products makes them lay eggs that dont hatch so they fire blanks so to speak...lol all good if they not plagueing me anymore hehe hope this helps sea maiden as u have helped me many a time already so far

Top Bottom