Spider mites first few weeks of flower outdoor.. What would you do?

• Thread starter DANKSY
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey all!! Haven't been posting much but i have been lurking a lil..

So checked on one of my hoop houses and i have a few mites floating around... the plants are all around the second week of flower or so...

Been a few years since i have dealt with them, and i am sure there are newer products out there since.....

What have y'all been doing with these fuggers in flower to keep them at bay?? i would like to eradicate them, but i know that can be tough with them in the budding stages... thanks any info is appreciated!!

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Initial application of Azamax in conjunction with a Grow More product called EZ Wet. Then follow up a product called Green Clean ALSO in conjunction with EZ Wet. EZ Wet is a wetting agent and sugar detergent and completely organic. Something to note about mites.... When you begin spraying the Mites will increase the rate in which they lay eggs thus when you start, don't get lazy!

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks Gr33n.. persistent little guys! screwed too many harvests in the past getting lazy!!

oldirtybastard

oldirtybastard

Spray ACT every three days for a week or so. I've successfully stalled them till harvest with this method indoors. May work for you aswell.. I'd recommend OBbiowar foliar.. Good luck bro. ~ODB~

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
Spray ACT every three days for a week or so. I've successfully stalled them till harvest with this method indoors. May work for you aswell.. I'd recommend OBbiowar foliar.. Good luck bro. ~ODB~

thanks man, i have og bio.. i wondered if it would keep them down.. will start brewing it up ...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey all!! Haven't been posting much but i have been lurking a lil..

So checked on one of my hoop houses and i have a few mites floating around... the plants are all around the second week of flower or so...

Been a few years since i have dealt with them, and i am sure there are newer products out there since.....

What have y'all been doing with these fuggers in flower to keep them at bay?? i would like to eradicate them, but i know that can be tough with them in the budding stages... thanks any info is appreciated!!
What I do is break out the plant essential oils, the JMS Stylets oil and isopropyl alcohol. Along with some true soap (vegetable fats are what we're after) to help break through their waxy coating. Rosemary is a very good one, 2%. You'll need a non-soap emulsifier but glycerin is easily found.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
What I do is break out the plant essential oils, the JMS Stylets oil and isopropyl alcohol. Along with some true soap (vegetable fats are what we're after) to help break through their waxy coating. Rosemary is a very good one, 2%. You'll need a non-soap emulsifier but glycerin is easily found.
Thanks Sea.. ii've been hearing good things about rosemary..

have you heard of sulfur reacting with the rosemary at all? i wanted to get a good burn too but i have heard sulfur can act funny with certain oils... any experience?

V

VEGBLOOMWSUP

in all reality if youre only in your first week i'd trash and start over instead of starting behind, and your main focus will become the health of the bugs (or lack there of) and not the plants. toss em, clean your shit, dont let people in, dont take cuts off craigslist, and grow clean from then on out. its an uphill battle for loss of weight and making all your friends or yourself smoke skeletons and insect shit. week 4 I'd even say trash, but you just started, yeah man, i'd even cut up all the ones in the first week into clones, and soak the fuck out of them in ogbiowar foliar (like literally drown the entire cut for 10 minutes)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
For OD plants that are just beginning to flower, seriously? Not me.
Thanks Sea.. ii've been hearing good things about rosemary..

have you heard of sulfur reacting with the rosemary at all? i wanted to get a good burn too but i have heard sulfur can act funny with certain oils... any experience?
S reacts with any kind of oils, from the best of my knowledge. I would not mix the two applications. I've tried S vaporizing to control spider mites, don't waste your time.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
For OD plants that are just beginning to flower, seriously? Not me.
S reacts with any kind of oils, from the best of my knowledge. I would not mix the two applications. I've tried S vaporizing to control spider mites, don't waste your time.

why would sulphur in the beginning stages of flower not be for you? they arent past week two or so... and it would be for pm not mites......

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
in all reality if youre only in your first week i'd trash and start over instead of starting behind, and your main focus will become the health of the bugs (or lack there of) and not the plants. toss em, clean your shit, dont let people in, dont take cuts off craigslist, and grow clean from then on out. its an uphill battle for loss of weight and making all your friends or yourself smoke skeletons and insect shit. week 4 I'd even say trash, but you just started, yeah man, i'd even cut up all the ones in the first week into clones, and soak the fuck out of them in ogbiowar foliar (like literally drown the entire cut for 10 minutes)
its kinda hard cutting down a twelve foot plant... these are outside not inside..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
why would sulphur in the beginning stages of flower not be for you? they arent past week two or so... and it would be for pm not mites......
Sorry, I was referring to the above post saying to rip everything out. If your OD girls are like mine, they're at *least* 6' tall, if not much bigger, and have fantastic potential for producing some poundage this year. Rip that out and start over? Not on your life! Not after working with them since the end of January! Besides, these pests are an annual problem and if you're on your game and paying attention, there should only be a few mites to deal with and those should fairly easily be controlled, possibly even eradicated. I personally don't count on full eradication outside because birds and bugs are able to fly in and around my plants, thus reinfecting them.

As for the S, there are those who say it leaves a flavor and it shouldn't be used in the last weeks of flowering. I did it, indoors, didn't notice a flavor but then I have sniffer problems and don't pick up all smells.

Since you're dealing with both mites and PM, I say get yourself a gallon or two of JMS Stylets oil. One product does three things--physical control of PM fruiting bodies, spider mites, and tank mixing adjuvant.

D

DANKSY

Premium Member
Supporter
Sorry, I was referring to the above post saying to rip everything out. If your OD girls are like mine, they're at *least* 6' tall, if not much bigger, and have fantastic potential for producing some poundage this year. Rip that out and start over? Not on your life! Not after working with them since the end of January! Besides, these pests are an annual problem and if you're on your game and paying attention, there should only be a few mites to deal with and those should fairly easily be controlled, possibly even eradicated. I personally don't count on full eradication outside because birds and bugs are able to fly in and around my plants, thus reinfecting them.

As for the S, there are those who say it leaves a flavor and it shouldn't be used in the last weeks of flowering. I did it, indoors, didn't notice a flavor but then I have sniffer problems and don't pick up all smells.

Since you're dealing with both mites and PM, I say get yourself a gallon or two of JMS Stylets oil. One product does three things--physical control of PM fruiting bodies, spider mites, and tank mixing adjuvant.

yeah my thoughts exactly! the mites are really only bad on one plant. and she is a beast.. 10-12 feet... i cant just rip her up...

and the sulphur i can live without, it would be more a preventive, last year was a rainy september and i must have sprayed a million gallons of green cure and what not... i did grab some three in one style miticide/fungicide products... i just noticed they are all oil based and i wondered if they would react with the sulphur, which sounds like they will... Thanks for the help!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Get yourself a really good spray tank, that's another piece of advice I got from a friend a few years ago and it is a LIFESAVER. Diaphragm pump means I can use the tank for compost teas, too. :) Northern Tool is where I got mine.

WiseGorilla

WiseGorilla

You could also try predatory bugs that eat the mites. I'm very scared to spray anything in flower.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I spray the shit outa my flowers up till bout week 5
Im outside and they dry fast
I dont want worms!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm spraying up until about two weeks prior to harvest. I've lost too many top colas to fucking caterpillars!!!

Lumigen

Lumigen

Read an interesting discussion here. Bit of a long read and actually not even sure if there was any conclusion...so maybe not so helpful haha

Top Bottom