Spider mites how do you kill them without killing the crop

• Thread starter reeferman1103
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
pugliese63

pugliese63

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be helpful here as well. It discusses the importance rotating miticides. Additionally it points out specifically the mites that are controlled by each miticide. Its a good read.

http://www.syngentaflowers.com/country/us/en/seeds/PDF and Other document Storage Library/GoldsmithSeeds_PDF/WhitePapers/Mite Rotations.pdf

Additionally I found a wide selection of miticides here. I've not purchased any of them. They have a few products I haven't read about particularly Kontos and Akari. Anyone who may have used either of these two I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

http://www.rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

I hope this may be of some benefit.

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

If your room is sealed good and you run co2 generator just crank up the co2 levels to about 3000 ppm for about 4 hrs will do the trick

derelict

derelict

If your room is sealed good and you run co2 generator just crank up the co2 levels to about 3000 ppm for about 4 hrs will do the trick

have you personally tried this method? i'm assuming it wouldn't kill the eggs?

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

have you personally tried this method? i'm assuming it wouldn't kill the eggs?
Yeah I've done it before and works like a champ.....repeat procedure in a few days if your worried about eggs

A

atomic punk

this worked absolutely for me on Broad Mites On advice from a collective he said it would kill Spider Mites or anything that crawls so I tried it.

I got hot shots from either Home Depot of Lowes $7.95 each I doubled up on the reccomended use.

They last 4 months, he said he used them through full flower and had both ashes and fresh bud tested in L.A. . and was found to not have one bit of carcinegens at all

Quote un Quote it will kill them in 5 days it pretty much killed everything in a week I'm still using them

Black Lab

Black Lab

this worked absolutely for me on Broad Mites On advice from a collective he said it would kill Spider Mites or anything that crawls so I tried it.

I got hot shots from either Home Depot of Lowes $7.95 each I doubled up on the reccomended use.

They last 4 months, he said he used them through full flower and had both ashes and fresh bud tested in L.A. . and was found to not have one bit of carcinegens at all

Quote un Quote it will kill them in 5 days it pretty much killed everything in a week I'm still using them
Atomic Punk, I would really question the collective owner about this. I don't know any reliable tests for carcinogenics that can be run on ashes and bud. I do know hot shot pest strips are very toxic and would not be in my garden. You might not notice anything short term but I think you are slowly poisoning yourself. There are many other less toxic approaches that work well. Try OG Biowar/Cap's bennies threads all over the farm. Take care of your body. Peace, bro

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Dichlorvos is a highly restricted poison, and it's what Hot Shots are made up of. I'm with Black Lab on this, they have no business around plants that are going to be consumed, although I also know that it's used extensively in silos (grain storage) and such. Doesn't make me want to eat that grain, though, I'll tell ya that much!

Another huge problem? There are already spider mites that are resistant to dichlorvos. Exacerbating the problem, no?

urbanfog

urbanfog

agreed

Started with hotshots at a grower recommendation a year or two ago. Yep killed "some" mites, not all and after using for a bit the mites seemed to say "F*ck you" and the strips quit working. Then I started learning more about the chemical and no longer use them due to health concerns. Now I am all about marigolds, lady bugs and mantis' ;) and a good organic blend with some nematodes

Good luck

A

atomic punk

agreed

Started with hotshots at a grower recommendation a year or two ago. Yep killed "some" mites, not all and after using for a bit the mites seemed to say "F*ck you" and the strips quit working. Then I started learning more about the chemical and no longer use them due to health concerns. Now I am all about marigolds, lady bugs and mantis' ;) and a good organic blend with some nematodes

Good luck
How naive I am sometimes. I never liked poison removing them permanently tonight THANKS you 3, best always

A

atomic punk

Dichlorvos is a highly restricted poison, and it's what Hot Shots are made up of. I'm with Black Lab on this, they have no business around plants that are going to be consumed, although I also know that it's used extensively in silos (grain storage) and such. Doesn't make me want to eat that grain, though, I'll tell ya that much!

Another huge problem? There are already spider mites that are resistant to dichlorvos. Exacerbating the problem, no?

Hi, Seamaiden
I remember quite awhile back a post that recommended rosemary and a few other ingredients for a natural foliar. I liked it but let it slip away. I'm thinking that this was you that posted it?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes it was. Mostly what you need is rosemary essential oil, and an emulsifier. Vegetable glycerin will work just fine, but you'll need what looks like a lot in relation to the amount of oil you use. You're looking to achieve a 2% solution with the rosemary oil. If you add in clove oil you only need something like .5% as it's pretty toxic for inverts.

oregonized

oregonized

I have a Lavendar plant going on its 3rd year. Finally getting healthy and giving me lots of foliage.

I have been using two soaks.
1st is straight lavendar material, dried use less, fresh use more. Steep for about 36 hours, strain and spray.
Store in cool, dark place, seems to last @ least 2 weeks!

2nd is the same, but adding powdered horsetails [1/4 teaspoon per gallon ratio].

Foliar spray every day for 1 week solid and then preventative only [periodic scope checks]

I have to say that in 4 years, this has been the best indoor defense against mites and thrips, that I have personally came across. I spray in flower as well w/out horsetail....just seems to zonk any bug.

Anecdotal, but I had a bout of fungus gnats too and after slowing my watering down, I misted the soil about 2 days in the row and never saw them again.....?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ya know, I'd tried the lavender, a few times, went to great lengths to be sure I had enough. Didn't really help or make a difference the way I've seen the rosemary do. Perhaps my mites find lavender more to their liking.

You've got my attention re: the fungus gnats.

S

Sd1904

Just have to lmao at this.

S

Sd1904

I have
I posted this in another thread but thought it might be helpful here as well. It discusses the importance rotating miticides. Additionally it points out specifically the mites that are controlled by each miticide. Its a good read.

http://www.syngentaflowers.com/country/us/en/seeds/PDF and Other document Storage Library/GoldsmithSeeds_PDF/WhitePapers/Mite Rotations.pdf

Additionally I found a wide selection of miticides here. I've not purchased any of them. They have a few products I haven't read about particularly Kontos and Akari. Anyone who may have used either of these two I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.

http://www.rosemania.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page9.html

I hope this may be of some benefit.
I have used Kontos, Pylon, Avid and Forbid 4 , and triple action neem oil in rotation with success, but i will never use that again. Spidermites were easier to eradicate then broadmites. Mixing 70% rubbing alcohol with water 50/50 ratio worked well and didnt damage the plants at all. Prevention , prevention and prevention is your best solution. I've used avid and forbid in rotation and these broadmites were resistant to both. Scoped the leaves with a 100x magnification and still saw the little bastards. So that's why I applied the other three methods in conjunction and only saw some eggs scattered and just use the rubbing alcohol mix completely kill the remaining egss. Spinosad, hot shots, bombs didnt work. I don't know if the rubbing alcohol solution will work on its own. But I will never buy clones again, seeds only. Whatever room I grow in will be completely washed down with bleach and heat the room up to. 150 degrees for several hours just to make sure nothing like broadmites are ever present. I pop seeds , finds keepers and apply prevention. Broadmites = Duds!

That's been my experience. Single apications like Avid only increases the problem.

oregonized

oregonized

Ya know, I'd tried the lavender, a few times, went to great lengths to be sure I had enough. Didn't really help or make a difference the way I've seen the rosemary do. Perhaps my mites find lavender more to their liking.

You've got my attention re: the fungus gnats.

This was how I approached it as well, however, I beared down and completed a rotation with it and have been super stoked on it...

Got my line-up of rosemary and salvia on hand though.....
P1120370

G

Greystone

Shock and awe lady bugs after spraying half soda half water mixture on them. Costs about $5-$7 and is totally safe and organic.

Get a couple thousand

Top Bottom