Spider Mites...

• Thread starter ogwon
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
waayne

waayne

connoisseur420 mites as well as other pests definitely build up resistance to Chemical pesticides

But when applied directly to pests, horticultural oils interfere with respiration, causing insects to suffocate and die.
I'm not 100% positive, but it would seem to me it would be difficult, if not impossible to build resistance against suffocation.....?

But yeah, for the best results you should rotate your pesticides frequently.......
I use a rotation of No Mites,Neem oil,Monterey Horticultural oil, 5%pyrethrin,JMS Stylet Oil,Azamax,and Ed Rosenthals Zero Tolerance......isopropyl alcohol mixed 50/50 with water also works well on mites

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

very true waayne, but if eggs are layed they will hatch and you will be spraying again. that's my experience using oils, azamax etc . Combining spinosad (by product harvested from bacteria naturally found in dirt) and azamax EXTENDS the life of both 45 days or so. I sprayed once and I'm waiting to see how long it will be before they come back. I run perpetual so getting rid of them is tough but I have the last plants hanging right now that had mites in my room. after I clean them up I may or may not spray, there's still no bugs on anything that has been sprayed previously.

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

very true waayne, but if eggs are layed they will hatch and you will be spraying again. that's my experience using oils, azamax etc . Combining spinosad (by product harvested from bacteria naturally found in dirt) and azamax EXTENDS the life of both 45 days or so. I sprayed once and I'm waiting to see how long it will be before they come back. I run perpetual so getting rid of them is tough but I have the last plants hanging right now that had mites in my room. after I clean them up I may or may not spray, there's still no bugs on anything that has been sprayed previously.

thats why you spray once a week with soaps/neem oil no matter what... even if you have no signs of pests. you treat proactively. not the other way around. misuse of chemical miticides is the reason why mites are so damn bad now a days.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

thats why you spray once a week with soaps/neem oil no matter what... even if you have no signs of pests. you treat proactively. not the other way around. misuse of chemical miticides is the reason why mites are so damn bad now a days.
that's my point I'm trying to stop spraying as its costly and time consuming. I am not currently spraying weekly at any of my grows. only when I see them. if it lasts months or until I reintroduce them that's what im going for. I have found neem and oils only keep them at bay once you have them in ur space, but good at keeping them away.

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

that's my point I'm trying to stop spraying as its costly and time consuming. I am not currently spraying weekly at any of my grows. only when I see them. if it lasts months or until I reintroduce them that's what im going for. I have found neem and oils only keep them at bay once you have them in ur space, but good at keeping them away.

not true. mandatory weekly neem and soaps will eliminate them completely and keep the away for good. it will also get rid of your PM indefinitely.but thats only if your environment is dialed. All proper IPM programs require strict adhesion to pro active treatment protocol. I dont know any commercial grower that doesnt spray atleast once a week with either oils/soaps or foliar nutrient solutions.

Its all about absolute coverage. look, lemme guess? your using a spray bottle and or pump/backpack sprayer? those are inadequate. Get an electronic atomizer. that will achieve complete and thorough coverage.

you need maximum and complete overage due to the mode of action; suffocation. Insects cannot acquire a resistance to suffocation.

Why spend so much money on SNS and mighty wash? i could see if your in late flower, then the mighty was is a viable option.

but the answer is so simple and has been around for a long time: weekly neem sprays no matter what.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Cheaplastic, I have an atomizer, and it's overkill in some ways, just BLASTS. I can see how this thing can fog up a big greenhouse, that's for sure. But I agree with you 100% about what to use for spraying. I have a 26gal tank sprayer that goes into a cart I hitch to my garden tractor for the OD ladies, and I got a 5gal battery-powered sprayer from Tractor Supply that has made doing the indoor ladies ridiculously easy.
there is a thread about this here already. but. combining a couple things will help a lot. I used to use azamax all the time almost weekly. then I added spinosad to the same mix and haven't seen then for over couple weeks by now. the other option is to use avid in combo w azamax, combining gives more power to both insecticides.

they build resistance when u spray to often with the same thing so its good also to change it up overtime.

the sns 217 is supposed to kill eggs but expensive. I'm interested to see what seamaiden comes up with.. there are lots of emulsifiers to choose from glycern would be my last choice tho. what about using azamax in combo with what ever your making?
The folks at SNS have chosen polyglyceryl oleate for a reason, what that is I don't know. However, I've been using vegetable glycerin and it does require quite a bit in relation to the amount of essential oils used in order to make a true suspension/emulsion. I will let folks know what's working, so far I haven't received my bulk rosemary oil order yet, so I've been macerating fresh rosemary in isopropyl, then making a suspension using the vegetable glycerin and applying that every three days. It's a pain doing it every three days, but I'm so God damn anal about this organic shit. I could smack me.

J

jaybudding

I want to use avid in my veg room how much per gallon and if you mix it with azamax how much of each I should use also how much neem per gallon do you use the rec 1oz per gallon on your weekly foliar?

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I don't have mites any more been several weeks :).
I also know commercial growers. they don't spray at all, over years of growing in the sane spot they claim to only spray new incoming plants. that's what lead me to this thread and searching out info on spider mites.

my gardens are small, it only takes 1 gallon to conpletely soak my room as the plants are now. I use a good 2 gal pump sprayer.

I'm okay with weekly sprays to be proactive but there is no mite activity in my room after I sprayed azamax and spinosad together. I'm not spraying till I find them again. see how long I can go! if I have to spray again in the future atleast at least it will be less often and cheaper

thanks for the perspective

not true. mandatory weekly neem and soaps will eliminate them completely and keep the away for good. it will also get rid of your PM indefinitely.but thats only if your environment is dialed. All proper IPM programs require strict adhesion to pro active treatment protocol. I dont know any commercial grower that doesnt spray atleast once a week with either oils/soaps or foliar nutrient solutions.

Its all about absolute coverage. look, lemme guess? your using a spray bottle and or pump/backpack sprayer? those are inadequate. Get an electronic atomizer. that will achieve complete and thorough coverage.

you need maximum and complete overage due to the mode of action; suffocation. Insects cannot acquire a resistance to suffocation.

Why spend so much money on SNS and mighty wash? i could see if your in late flower, then the mighty was is a viable option.

but the answer is so simple and has been around for a long time: weekly neem sprays no matter what.

cheaplastic

cheaplastic

I spray with oils and soaps regardless if theres mite activity or not. every professional commercial grower does. If they say they dont they are lying or they dont know what they are talking about/are not professional.

That is standard practice in the AG industry and growing pot on a commercial scale is no different. I follow strict IPM protocol, and that is why I havent had mites or mildew in over 2.5 years.

Not spraying weekly because your lazy is foolish. Its not an accomplishment to say, "hey i havent sprayed in over 2 months and dont have mites".. Thats dumb. You will get mites again, and it will cost you more time and money.

dont be stupid.

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

I spray with oils and soaps regardless if theres mite activity or not. every professional commercial grower does. If they say they dont they are lying or they dont know what they are talking about/are not professional.

That is standard practice in the AG industry and growing pot on a commercial scale is no different. I follow strict IPM protocol, and that is why I havent had mites or mildew in over 2.5 years.

Not spraying weekly because your lazy is foolish. Its not an accomplishment to say, "hey i havent sprayed in over 2 months and dont have mites".. Thats dumb. You will get mites again, and it will cost you more time and money.

dont be stupid.
no need for insults. like I said, I don't mind spraying, also I outlined why I started on changing things. I am not stupid or lazy. I sleep avg. of 4-6 hours, run a successful restraunt, 8-12 lights of pot, and help manage a retail location for patients. I have followed enough protocol building electronics for nasa, among other aerospace.

I will strart spraying if they come back. thanks for your input anyways.

frebo

frebo

People always gawk cause I pay 90bucks for a qt of Azamax(which they don't build tolerance to) but at 30ml a gallon I can spray 33 gallons, so it's less than 3 bucks a gallon I spray and IT works.
MightY Wash is how much a gallon?
When they get REALLY bad we use Avid but we try to rotate with neems oil, azamax, soap and water, and Organicide. The rotation may keep them from being immune. The key is that they lay eggs like three days after they wère born and you need to hit the new born. That's just what I understand from some of the instructions that come with these sometimes rather expensive products. I want to try some of SEAMAIDENS' homemade remedies.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
JMS Stylet oil is very simple, don't leave that out of your regimen if you're going to be spraying in any event.

The rosemary concoction has done a good job of keeping the mites in check, but I keep forgetting to bring my loupe with me so I can't say whether or not I've actually killed them off. I don't see any mites or eggs, but that doesn't mean they're not there, it just means that *I* can't see them.

1C fresh culinary rosemary needles stripped off the branch.
Enough isopropyl alcohol to cover. I used 70% because that's what I had on hand.
Stick blend it to small bits, then leave it overnight to macerate.
Filter, then add water to make 2gals.
After that, you'll need an emulsifier. Do NOT use castille soap! I used vegetable glycerin in the beginning because it's what I could find quickly locally. It works, but you have to use a LOT to get a good emulsion. Great thing is it seems to keep once it's mixed up.
2oz/gal JMS Stylet oil makes it milky, it works with and without the Stylet oil.

Top Bottom