Spliff Busters-disproving Misconceptions

• Thread starter MrRojos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrRojos

MrRojos

Hello growers.
Never quite sure where a idea will lead but what Im hoping for with this thread is that some of growings "myths" can be proven right or busted by some of our really experienced growers.
On the ground experience sometimes provides the opportunity to realize that "common" practiced techniques are sometimes flawed in ways and or are totally ligit.
The farm has some incredible growers with literally thousands of years of combined grow experience!
What have you experienced first hand that you realised was totally bogus but yet commonly practiced?

MrRojos

MrRojos

Great start off question! Is it fact of fiction?Has it been absolutely proven? Have growers here done both and seen any benefits? Very interesting thank you @dmshayne...This is exactly what had in mind for this thread.
I know in general why growers do this.Enzymes and other chemicals that aren't present in the flowers at night that are when it's daylight make the final buds harsher so keeping the plants in the dark for longer would technically further guarantee those chemicals were even less present thus providing "smoother" smoke.
And have heard that trichome coverage is maximized.
This is why I created this thread though because honestly I personally do usually keep indoor flowers in dark for 24 hours b4 harvest.Was taught that way.
But has it been proven scientifically and if not has anyone here really tested the difference? Have I been wasting 24 hours for nothing? Lol
Things like this are very interesting to me thanks for the question and hope to see any responses.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
MidwestToker

MidwestToker

As this thread may go nowhere or get over clogged with overwhelming Bro-science. I would like to make a general statement coming from 40 years of commercial farming and marijuana farming.
Proper nutrition and the least amount of stresses on the plants has always giving me the best quality and yield and that goes for commercial crops, garden vegetable or Marijuana!

dmshayne

dmshayne

What about adding flavour or juice to your plants a few days before harvest to inhances the taste?

MrRojos

MrRojos

What about adding flavour or juice to your plants a few days before harvest to inhances the taste?

great question again!
Real documented research would be awesome to see but if not it's interesting to hear from peoples experience.
Maybe to much to hope for but hoping since this is under "advanced"
Catagory we can avoid "no that doesn't work!" Type answers from posters who have actually never tried it and at least compared the same nugz "unjuiced" an non juiced.
Definitely trying to avoid bro-science more hoping for links to research.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Organic matter is broken down into ions by microbial life. Decomposers use roughly 20% of the organic matter they consume, which are then eaten by larger players in a soil food web(such as nematodes) who consume another 20% leaving roughly 60% as ionic foods for the plant. Why am I saying this? Because I would like to point out that plants do not directly consume any organic matter and that in the end no matter if your salts are synthetic or organic, your plants crave the same chemical ions.

Something i picked up from the microbeman, and a short paragraph from his website referencing it.
Screenshot 2016 03 13 11 23 54

MrRojos

MrRojos

Organic matter is broken down into ions by microbial life. Decomposers use roughly 20% of the organic matter they consume, which are then eaten by larger players in a soil food web(such as nematodes) who consume another 20% leaving roughly 60% as ionic foods for the plant. Why am I saying this? Because I would like to point out that plants do not directly consume any organic matter and that in the end no matter if your salts are synthetic or organic, your plants crave the same chemical ions.

Something i picked up from the microbeman, and a short paragraph from his website referencing it.
View attachment 581657
organic/live soil vs "shelf nutes" is a great topic that people from both sides swear by and usually ends up getting ugly like talking religious beliefs or politics..lol
Posting links or research to back each theory is cool way to get a greater overview of what's myth or reality.
Thank you @ArticOrange

dmshayne

dmshayne

One question i am pondering is to stick with good oldschool hps and metal halide or go led.

Why would one switch and what are the reccomended watts per feet squared?

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Why do people put their harvest ready plants in dark for 36 or 48 hours?

Light breaks down some terpenes, and brix builds up at night, so by extending the dark cycle you are preserving some hidden terps and harvesting the plant with as much sugar in it as possible, which helps the bud stay preserved for longer.

The biggest misconception that I see that frustrates me endlessly is people's belief that there is something genuinely special about nutes from a hydro store. The whole time I was growing with hobby level nutrients I knew my weed sucked, I never really enjoyed smoking weed grown on hydro store products (with the exception of some base-only runs), and I'm of the opinion that any amendments they put in are generally useless and don't do anything but waste resources/money.

It's beyond me why people who are serious about growing still clown around with jugs- just because you make a bunch of money growing doesn't mean you have to waste it on plant food. I know growers with 10 lights who spend more feeding their plants than they do feeding themselves- how backwards is that?! If plant nutrients were as expensive as they are at the hydro store then broccoli would be worth more than filet.

dmshayne

dmshayne

Organic nutrients vs others. Do some nutrients "give you cancer" and are bad for you when using the herb or not? If so which nutrients are safe to use and does flushing prevent this?

LI grows

LI grows

Flushing!!!
I flush the last week before harvest, but my plants are hardly using any water by this time. I dont think its doing anything. :)

LI grows

LI grows

One question i am pondering is to stick with good oldschool hps and metal halide or go led.

Why would one switch and what are the reccomended watts per feet squared?

Supposedly LEDs are more energy efficient. More light for less electric.

Ask Limpy

Ask Limpy

LED's are more efficient by the watt and run considerably cooler then traditional hps or mh. They are ideal for covert grows or for those having issues with heat from hps or mh. There is a great channel on YouTube (that I am not affiliated with, just learning from) called "growmau5 " who seems to be doing it right and sharing tons of valuable information.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Organic nutrients vs others. Do some nutrients "give you cancer" and are bad for you when using the herb or not? If so which nutrients are safe to use and does flushing prevent this?
Some well may, and I myself feel that the C word is used because that seems to be the only way to light a fire under peoples' asses. I don't know which ones would give you cancer, but I *do* know which ones will and do destroy this earth we live on, without alternatives.

That's the issue for me. Do we care at all for this thin skin of soil upon which we are so reliant, or NOT?

dmshayne

dmshayne

Some well may, and I myself feel that the C word is used because that seems to be the only way to light a fire under peoples' asses. I don't know which ones would give you cancer, but I *do* know which ones will and do destroy this earth we live on, without alternatives.

That's the issue for me. Do we care at all for this thin skin of soil upon which we are so reliant, or NOT?
Yes, I find it inhumane how people produce these chemicals called nutrients. My idea is that you must give back more than what you have taken. This is our home and our only one, why are people so fixated on ruining it?

Top Bottom