Sport Hunting

• Thread starter geologic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
zombie III

zombie III

ahh the japanese, not the chinese it would seem. horrible way to go.

that shoot is skyrocketing!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
that shoot is skyrocketing!

1BamNext

Espalier's progressing too...

1EspNext

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
is that espalier a different strain to the ones in the foreground?
In that picture (there are fancyplant strains not seen in that pic), so; ah:
"strain". I really don' know proper terminology.

My plants have been inbreed for something like 27 years now,
but I really don't think it's a "strain" 'cause every plant's different:
I've made it a point to totally mix it up.

You have to ask the experts;
but it might be a "race",
not landrace;
just, ah, my race???

But, back to yer question:
that seed is from one of my inbreed-for-~27 years plants--
the espalier from last year...

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/vapes-2013-outdoo.55106/page-3#post-1106737

--------------------------------

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
is that espalier a different strain to the ones in the foreground?
Addendumb--
Sorry, I forgot the ending to that post;
I blame the medication...
...anyway:

The reason that plant looks so different from it's sisters is cultivation method.

All the plants in the foreground are intensively PrunedForMainstems,
and the espalier was only pruned once;
an' intended to produce 2 mainstem colas and a bunch of secondary colitas--
they'll all look very different in a month...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
The espalier is just beautiful, especially how it spreads its wings behind that no less impressive PFM-ed canopy. How much wider do you expect it will grow?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
The espalier is just beautiful, especially how it spreads its wings behind that no less impressive PFM-ed canopy. How much wider do you expect it will grow?

I read PFM-ed canopy,
and thought:
WTF's that???...
...and then: Oh--
Heh...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't know how far it will go,
that little late volunteer last year was my first espalier.

The two mainstems will be fighting all the secondaries from now on,
which I'll have to keep pruned as long as possible;
there will come a point when I'll have to stop tying down the tips an let 'em go--
or the secondaries will stunt their growth...

EspNewTwo

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
@Sativied :
Yer a breeder,
what are the possible results of crossing a Feminized plant--
with a "normal" male...

neverbreak

neverbreak

awesome work bro, yer garden is lookin great.

u said u've been growin the sae bunch of plants for 27 years. where'd they come from originally?

neverbreak

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
awesome work bro, yer garden is lookin great.

u said u've been growin the sae bunch of plants for 27 years. where'd they come from originally?

neverbreak
(Copied from my profile.
I had some plants going 3 or 4 years before we met our friends from Laytonville,
but those plants were nothing like the bag I was given in Oakland.
May have actually met them at the 89-90 NYE shows...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The "newest" addition to this strain's <like I said above, this is probably not a strain>
genetics occurred in 1994. <until this year!!!>

Friends of mine from "the Laytonville area" brought down selected seed to the Grateful Dead shows in Las Vegas; 1991, '92, and '93.

There was three varieties in 1991 which I dubbed NCLV-A, NCLV-B, and NCLV-C; and one variety each of NCLV92, and NCLV93. <NCLV = NorthernCaliforniaLasVegas>

[this is what I was told by Tom...]

NCLV-A and NCLV93 were related. (what I call) NCLV-A migrated from NoCAL to a big grow in Arizona. I'm not sure if it was all underground or if it was sunken greenhouses or what, but they had a bunch of diesel generators. Before they got busted (by the Feds I think) they sent seeds they bred back up to NoCAL: NCLV93--
the last genetic material added to this garden <until this year!!!>...

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I've done two different backcrosses with fem backcrossed to the reg dad and I haven't seen more hrrmies than usual. I usually get about a sixty forty fem/male ratio with atmost one out of twenty herm but definitely not full blown herm like a few bannanas in a plant at end of harvest....big difference is I veg with GLR schedule, probably doesn't help but thought I would share.... I'm also interested to hear what pro breeders say.
The only pro breeder I know talk aBout it doesn't own a seed company but help plenty get started with his genetics, permission or not says, femd seeds are all over the place and even has grown a plant that was mostly male....so what I do is treat them like reg. And instead of searching for males I am on the hunt for herm ls, every branch of every plant alll the way up into harvest

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I plan on using fem mothers to reg fathers again soon maybe we could start a thread and show our results...

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I've done two different backcrosses with fem backcrossed to the reg dad and I haven't seen more hrrmies than usual. I usually get about a sixty forty fem/male ratio with atmost one out of twenty herm but definitely not full blown herm like a few bannanas in a plant at end of harvest....big difference is I veg with GLR schedule, probably doesn't help but thought I would share.... I'm also interested to hear what pro breeders say.
The only pro breeder I know talk aBout it doesn't own a seed company but help plenty get started with his genetics, permission or not says, femd seeds are all over the place and even has grown a plant that was mostly male....so what I do is treat them like reg. And instead of searching for males I am on the hunt for herm ls, every branch of every plant alll the way up into harvest
Farm Out, Pharm Out,
I've spent a quarter+ century erradicating hermaphrodites from The Gene Pool;
haven't seen one in about 4 years now--
is that a recessive trait???

===============================================

I rooted Dervish's last pruning;
so I could pick flowers sitting on the porch--
both just opened flowers...

1aDervish

1aDervish1

1aDervish2

1aDervishFlower

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
@Sativied :
Yer a breeder,
what are the possible results of crossing a Feminized plant--
with a "normal" male...
Not sure if I qualify as a breeder yet (thanks though :)) but I'd be happy to share my take on it (done a lot of research over the past years, my favorite topic). The result would be the same as crossing with a regular female, i.e. you'd get regular seeds again. We call them "feminized seeds" because "female seeds" would be inaccurate as they sometimes do produce males (I'm sure some folks here remember/know about the discussion with Dutch Passion who sold "female seeds" initially). When they do produce a female, it's just a female plant, and not a "feminized plant".

As for hermies, there's no direct link between feminized and hermies. If the fem seeds are a result of selfing a plant that hasn't been stress tested properly for intersex traits, it's possible those traits are there and have been locked in and even increased. The feminizing itself however is 'nurture' and not genetic modification so you don't pass that feminizing process on to offspring.

Unfortunately there's more to it (else it would have been bred out already). I suspect there are multiple, possibly linked, and co- or partially dominant genes that influence it.

In short, it as always depends on the parents, whether they are from fem seed is by itself rather irrelevant. Ideally you'd plant a bunch of the fem seeds and you take clones from the female plants they produce, then flower and stresstest the clones (so the master copies can finish and be harvested clean). Some due diligence up front can potentianally save you a lot of time later on.

I read PFM-ed canopy,
and thought:
WTF's that???...
...and then: Oh--
Heh...
:D Going to use that term more often. It's exactly what I aim to do, PFM.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Farm Out, Pharm Out,
I've spent a quarter+ century erradicating hermaphrodites from The Gene Pool;
haven't seen one in about 4 years now--

===============================================

I rooted Dervish's last pruning;
so I could pick flowers sitting on the porch--
both just opened flowers...

View attachment 427805

View attachment 427806

View attachment 427807

View attachment 427808
I've only grown 1,set of seeds that I couldnt force to hermy through environment or maturity.........I have male pollen (from a reg male) stored of that run....
To hermy is innate ability in all pot plants , if anyone disagrees it would be a first for me
I believe all pot plants are asexual and can hermy

Top Bottom