Supporter
Had to snag this one...
Bull6

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
RIP LURCH...

Lurch, the steer with the world's largest horns, died quietly with friends at his side around 3 p.m. Saturday at Rocky Ridge Refuge near Gassville, Ark.

The 14-year-old Watusi was diagnosed in March 2009 with cancer at the base of one of those record-setting horns, whose circumference of more than 36 inches led to his induction into the 2003 Guinness Book of World Records. The illness caused the bovine to lose weight, shed hair and his head to list to the affected side. Several courses of antibiotics and a daily regimen of enriched food resulted in a nearly 100% recovery, but the year-long rally failed early last week with the appearance of blood flowing from one of Lurch's nostrils.

But Lurch had other business before laying down for the last time.

"Saturday morning he stood up, walked out of the barn and marched right down the hill to the fence and laid down with his buddies," said Janice Wolf caregiver and refuge owner. "All day Friday and last week he was up and down and able to manage just a few steps before going back down. He couldn't even get out of the barn.

"No one who saw him would have believed he could march down that hill. You should have seen him. It was really something to see," Wolf said.

Wolf said the place at the fence was one of Lurch's favorite places to sun.

"About 2 p.m. he started back up the hill. He made it just a little way and started to tremble and went down," Wolf said.

A veterinarian was on another call and unavailable to respond immediately. Wolf said she took a bucket of cold water to Lurch to keep his head cool. The champ rolled over and died just minutes before the doctor arrived.

"He was a class act," Wolf said. "He didn't want me to do it. He wanted to do it himself."

Famous steer

After achieving Guinness fame, Lurch was visited frequently at the refuge by tourists and television producers. Television segments featuring Lurch have appeared repeatedly on the Animal Planet Television Network.

In November 2007, Lurch and the refuge were the subject of feature stories on the Ellen Degeneres Show that resulted in a philanthropical outpouring, a new barn and feed supplies for the refuge.

"He's been a personal gift to me and the refuge," Wolf said. "He supported the refuge."

Video memorial

Lurch's body was released Saturday to renowned artist and taxidermist Tim Dobbs of Midland, Texas, who will create a full-body taxidermy of Lurch. A final resting place for the mount is undetermined, Wolf said.

Wolf said Dobbs specializes in large body taxidermy.

"Tim was here when Lurch died," said Wolf. "He said he wanted to meet him before he died, and he did."

A memorial depicting Lurch's life from calfhood to adulthood has also been created on YouTube:

By Frank Wallis, The (Baxter, Ark.) Bulletin

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Great job on using that space efficiently.
25 feet x 25 feet footprint.
29 hills.
~3 plants each hill.
4 ChemDxGSC phenotypes.
6 CaseyJonesxGSC phenotypes.
3 Farmer Mix phenotypes.
3 Moonshine Haze phenotypes.
42 geo2013 plants.
----------------
= 58 PrunedForMainstem varities/types
+ 26 Unpruned* clones of "newblood"
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/sport-hunting.56603/page-14#post-1305300
* Earliest and fastest growing clones were pruned when they reached garden "topping level"...

Gandalfalfa

Gandalfalfa

Great pics,
Lurch is a magnificent animal;
"horns measure 92.25 cm"--
each or span???

That's circumference! Although I'm sure you had figured that out by now. He was an amazing beast. Must have had a neck like an ox to sport horns that massive.

You're garden is filling out nicely Geo!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
The gardners are still at work tonite:

0917a

I thought I skated on the "pestilence(s)" afflicting so many Farmers this year, but; not so.
I've had the biggest "worm bloom" in the last 15 or 20 years;
happened in, like, two days.
Never seen anything quite like this, the "worms" are different too;
they're longer and skinner and bigger (they must grow at a very rapid rate) and, besides buds--
they eat fan leafs...

0917b

The early-flowering Moonshine Haze was the most affected,
the early-flowering Farmers Mix was next,
Chemdog D x GSC next,
and then ~ 5% of my "indigenous" strain.

Notice what's missing???
Casey Jones X GSC.
No evidence of any worm predation on any of the Casey Jones Cookie plants-from-seed or their clones--
very interesting...

=======================================================

Thou shalt not be afraid
Of the terror by night
Nor the arrow that flies by day
Nor for the pestilence
That walketh in the darkness
Nor for the destruction
That waiteth in the noonday hour

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Sorry to hear the worms are visiting you too :meh: Are those moth caterpillars?

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Yep, Lepidoptera larva;
they all be dead now.

I try to look for the silver linings,
the plant's immune systems are in full mode;
and the possible CaseyCookie resistance is a trip.

The "worms" are cannibalistic and tend to disperse and spread out.

There were CaseyCookie plants touching the worst-infested early Moonshine Haze;
but no caterpillars dispersed to the CaseyCookies--
wouldn't touch 'em...

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Whoa! I doing a lot of talking and not much listening, your garden is bad ass, Sir. I love your gardeners, my gardeners eat my weed plants and leave more poop than improvement, LoL, they're canines and don't like to work. When you said gardeners, all I could picture are the dudes that are "gardeners" around my neighborhood. They come and blow dirt everywhere, I don't think they care that there are no lawns to trim and use the weed wacker like it's a broom. BTW, I don't think they own brooms or dust pans or even know that you can sweep stuff. Why do people pay these guys, I'll come over and mess up your yard for free.

Either way, man, great job and lovely ladies.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Sorry to hear the worms are visiting you too Are those moth caterpillars?
Yep, Lepidoptera larva;

Addendumb:

I "yepped" too soon;
they are butterfly, moth, skipper, and (maybe hairstreak) larvae.
My traditional "problem children" have been Cabbage Butterflies and (2 or 3 varieties of) Skippers.

This year there are Sulphur or maybe Alfalfa Butterflies,
which are like large Cabbage Butterflies (and may be the source of the new godzilla worms);
and there are numbers of "White Moths" that @Seamaiden 's son talked about.

The larger butterflies like Tiger Swallowtails, Zebra/Anise Swallowtails, Giant Swallowtails, Mourning Cloaks, Painted Ladys, Admirals and Monarchs have other specific food sources--
for the first time ever there are no Monarch Butterflies this year...

Latest posts

Top Bottom