Spots On Leaves (possibly Thrips).

• Thread starter travism000
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

travism000

Hi so I am on my 3rd/4th week of flowering and I noticed orange spots on my leaves two weeks ago. I initially thought it was boron def or something, but that didn't solve anything. Then I noticed bite marks and I concluded that thrips is most likely problem. Could anyone take a look and give me an opinion? So I have pyrethrin but I have never used it during flowering. Is it fine if I just spray it on the leaves when lights are off? Thanks for any help :) Also, the second picture is by far the most damaged leaf, there was only one other that was damaged in the entire grow. I have 4 plants and the spots and bite marks have spread to all.

Spots on leaves possibly thrips
Spots on leaves possibly thrips 2
Spots on leaves possibly thrips 3
Spots on leaves possibly thrips 4
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I would say ph or root problem, just a guess

T

travism000

My ph is 6.2-6.8. But the thing is that all my plants got the symptoms at the same time, which makes me think its a bug problem or some sort of fungus I never heard of.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

If you are wondering why the effect is spotty, think about transpiration. The surfaces that burned were probably transpiring faster and as a result ended up with a salt dump in spots. I agree that is not thrips ( you can see them when present, get sticky traps if you think that is yet another concern ) and more likely nutrient burn. I can see there in the last photo how it almost looks like two pulses of nutrient burn ( two stripes on the leaves ). I can't think of how that might have stratified into two separate burns from one feeding at the moment.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

Forgot - You want the BLUE sticky traps for thrips. There are yellow ( for other bugs ) and blue traps.

T

travism000

Yup, you are right. So y'all think its much more likely to be nute burn than potassium def? Darn I was just so certain it couldn't be nute burn, but it kinda happened ever since I started feeding it calmag.

Ignignokt

Ignignokt

what form of calmag? Nitrogen is quite mobile, perhaps a calmag in a carbonate form if you are using a nitrate? How much? Unless you are trying to balance coco, I'd think this would be on the light side.

pugliese63

pugliese63

Drop your pH down to 5.8 to 6.2. 6.8 is a little high. What's the EC or ppm? Regardless, drop your nutrient strength by a third to a half for a few days after a giving them a good dose of plain water. I think you'll begin to see some positive changes.

GreenLion

GreenLion

Nute burn.. are u getting ur nutes on your leaves?can't leave it on or it will burn or bleach

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
lol its nute burn.
I don't see any nute burn, no tell tale clawing or wilting leaves. I would say more likely a diffiency or lockout. If you are in coco or hydro that ph is too high and will lock out certain nutes, its a good ph for soil. What are you feeding them and how much do you water?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Im going with, you splashed some nute water on those leaves when watering and the grow light cooked the leaves where they had water drops, the plants look really healthy in the first pic, maybe take a whole plant pic with the grow light off.

xenon730

xenon730

I don't see any nute burn, no tell tale clawing or wilting leaves. I would say more likely a diffiency or lockout. If you are in coco or hydro that ph is too high and will lock out certain nutes, its a good ph for soil. What are you feeding them and how much do you water?
im not op but you seem to forget that over feeding can show commonly as deficiencies. you constantly bring up lockout and that's so much more uncommon than you bring up. this is caused by over feeding. op if you cut your ppm, i guarantee you it will stop. in my ten years hydro experience, I've never caused a lockout once, even when testing 8.0ph in dwc, i have however overfed a TON, like everyone else has, and this exact symptom is the basic response to overfeeding period. lowering your ph .2 or .4 won't prevent lockout anyways.

your other diagnosis there isn't real. i regularly spill 1200ppm onto my leaves and you can too without burn. also, you only don't spray OIL products on light, hormones and nutrients SHOULD be sprayed in the morning light or before mid day, that's just how stomata work. the leaf magnifying glass isn't true and especially not when you drench a leaf with a wetting agent.

90% of the problems on the infirmary are more obvious than your obscure answers getting people to try ridiculous, unproven things that aren't wrong with their garden. this is basic nute burn and anyone growing this plant for years should recognize that quickly.

lastly, you can't see the fried, salted tips? did you zoom in the picture at all? he's got fried tips waiting to fall off from all that salt being fed. op feed water a couple times, then half feed and it will stop. it will never fix. once the leaf starts to die, pull it. that's all you need to do.

he also said this showed all over. you think he threw a jug of nutes across the room? you're so prolific with advice but it's all crazy. I've seen you make people waste money or think crazy stuff like a nutrient spill. it affected his whole garden because on his second big feed, they all burned a little. that first one was likely just sensitive. again anyone growing rooms for years has seen this exact situation play out a million times and op clearly is not very knowledgeable. you have to reevaluate what you're telling these people of you're trying to help them as half of these problems don't exist.

Last edited:
mandalaman

mandalaman

Drop your pH down to 5.8 to 6.2. 6.8 is a little high. What's the EC or ppm? Regardless, drop your nutrient strength by a third to a half for a few days after a giving them a good dose of plain water. I think you'll begin to see some positive changes.
What medium is he growin in? I didn't see it mentioned

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
You cant see where the leaves came from, nute burn will show on all leaves not just part of the plant, where those leaves came from that are burnt will help diagnose. So a whole plant pic with the grow light off is the only thing that can further a diagnosis, the plant doesnt look like it has burnt or clawing leaves in the only whole plant pic.

xenon730

xenon730

You cant see where the leaves came from, nute burn will show on all leaves not just part of the plant, where those leaves came from that are burnt will help diagnose. So a whole plant pic with the grow light off is the only thing that can further a diagnosis, the plant doesnt look like it has burnt or clawing leaves in the only whole plant pic.
in his pictures and post he said it affected all plants and the photos clearly show at least 2 plants totally burnt at the tips from overfeeding. and that's just at first glance. i can't fathom why you're giving advice without even reading the problem thoroughly. post count or something?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
The only burnt leaves shown are being held in his hand...

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
I conclude that you must also be the original poster and just want to start drama, so, first ignore you, then if the original poster acts like an ass also, ignore you again...

xenon730

xenon730

The only burnt leaves shown are being held in his hand...
that photos shows multiple fans with this mid stage burn on it. some curled tips, yellow tips, clawing, and his whole inside has that we get no light look. i also see cupping on the tops and more nutrient and ph issues on other twisted leaves, but a mostly healthy plant that got a little too much ppm the last two.

Top Bottom