Sprouted Seed Tea (does This Really Work)?

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Awsome info @jumpincactus and @Tnelz im gonna save this page for sure. I grow boomers also and i was thinking the same, all it is in my tek is corn and coco coir with a lil gypsum for micro nutes.

Tnelz

Tnelz

So I pretty much follow the recipie. I start with 28 grams of seeds. I soak for 12 hours rinsing about 3 times during that 12 hours. Make sure u rinse. People don't realize the outside of the seed contains an enzyme to prohibit growth so make sure u rinse a couple time while u are soaking with fresh clean water. It may not be an enzyme but there is something that coats the outside of a seed that isn't good to have around. Anyway I weigh my seeds after the 12 hours they should weigh 56 grams or more. Mine always weigh a bunch more usually around 90+ grams. So now give the seeds a final rinse. Then I wet 2 Layers of paper towel about 4 paper towels thick. One layer goes on the bottom of a Tupperware bowl. Soak the paper towels but ring them out. Put a single layer of seeds down and cover with the other layer of wet and rung paper towels. Dark warm spot for about 36 hours depending but then I add the sprouted seeds to my blender with 1 cup of water 1 ml of kelp and 1 eighth tsp pure protein then purée untill its a consistency u like. I add 2 cups to 4 gallons of tea. The remaining tbls or so goes into 1 quart spray bottle for foliar. Sorry so long but that's how I do it. @jumpincactus great thread brother. Keep dropping information like this man. Great job. Respect and good vibes to all.

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

been checking into this sprout thing and there seems to be a sprout for every stage of the plant . Heres what i picked up

Red Clover Organic Seeds 12g (Sprouts, Sprouting Seeds)
Item number 281600560419

$2.50 AUD

Brown Rice 250g ( Sprouts , Sprouting seeds ) Certified Organic
Item number 281595631590

$14.95 AUD

Broccoli Organic Seeds 100g ( Sprouts , Sprouting seeds )
Item number 281595571339

$17.15 AUD

Mung Beans 100g Organic (Sprouting Seeds, Sprouts)
Item number 271764472476

$6.50 AUD

Alfalfa Organic Seeds 250g ( Sprouts , Sprouting seeds )
Item number 271771036221

$16.95 AUD

Fenugreek seeds 250g Organic ( Sprouts , Sprouting Seeds )
Item number 281596483935

$13.95 AUD

Alfafa
B rice
Broc
Clover
Mung
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It was an Aussie who tipped me off to fenugreek, and I use it for cover cropping. I've never seen anything sprout as fast as fenugreek. And, it's a tasty edible microgreen!

Violent Aeration: Aeration is your friend and the key to a potent tea that's teaming with good bacteria. But too much aeration on the scale that provides an excessive amount of agitation and turbulence to the tea-is a bad thing becuase it will actually beat the microbeasties to death! Be gentle with the teas; remember that they're teeming with microbes!
Microbeman's research disagrees with this. The microbes we're after need high DO levels, and aeration must be very active to achieve this. Just because the water column appears to be roiling does not mean these microbes are being beaten to shit. Passing them through impeller pumps, that'll beat them to shit.
Be sure to use only the unsulfured variety.This is because sulfur kills microlife,especially fungus (unless it's elemental sulfur in small ratios).
I'm incredulous about this claim. I can find nothing that shows that the sulfured type of molasses might harm microbes. All I find is discussing what the sulfur dioxide Tx does to/with molasses.

I hope I haven't offended, this is truly how I go about things--observation, questioning, more observation, research, questioning, questioning, questioning.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
No offense taken @Seamaiden . I don't agree with the aeration part either. the more DO the better. And he even did tests that shows that vigorous aeration and impeller pumps don't harm the critters either. Matter o fact MM goes on to say that a typical fish pump bubbler comes no where near the amount of air to properly aerate ACT's. I would have to agree with that.

Your comments and observations/input are always welcome in any thread I throw up. I like to throw it up and then have the debates and input and then see where the dust settles and hopefully either myself or someone else has learned something. I actually look forward to you in my threads as I have a lot of respect for you and your level of knowledge!!!

Peace

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

I often use sprouted seed teas, but I have a method all my own.
I use 1 gallon glass jars with 60 gallon aquarium pumps... these are great for smaller batches of anything...
...and I use them for everything.... sst's, act's, botannical teas you name it.

I fill the jar with water... put air tubes open ended with no airstones...
I use "bulldog" binder clips on the jars and use them to hold the air lines.
I put in seeds. the DO2 levels in the jar are plenty high.
After 1.5 days underwater, I pour off the water.
I immediately refill the entire jar.
My seeds live their entire lives underwater.
Sometimes I forget about them....
I had 6 inch barley that had broke the foam layer that had built up...

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

@Seamaiden

The major distinction is that sulfured molasses actually contains Sulfur Dioxide, which acts as a preservative and anti-microbial substance. What this means is that sulphured molasses will actually kill some of the microbes you are trying to feed. It will not kill them all, but it can reduce their numbers... many people use it regularly so it wont end the world lol.

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

@Seamaiden

The major distinction is that sulfured molasses actually contains Sulfur Dioxide, which acts as a preservative and anti-microbial substance. What this means is that sulphured molasses will actually kill some of the microbes you are trying to feed. It will not kill them all, but it can reduce their numbers... many people use it regularly so it wont end the world lol.
Quick ?, does unsulfurred molasses carry bacteria in it, I mean bacteria different from what's floating around in the air? Thanks in advance @SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

SeaF0ur

I personally dont ferment sst's as I use them immediately. I have frozen the puree in ice cube trays for easier saved single servings

@nazarbattu
There may be some bacteria, but not likely aerobic ones. Molasses always has some trace amounts of sulfur in it, difference is if it is plain sulfur, sulfite, sulfate, Sulfur Dioxide, or something completely different... Sulfur is used to process unripe green sugar cane. Sun ripened sugar cane is processed without using sulfur. I use Blackstrap molasses because it is the thickest form of molasses, the darkest, and the most dense in terms of minerals.

chronic68

chronic68

http://www.simplici-tea.com/simplici-tea-wp/
i know this thread is dead just a video to add

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
What a great thread some fantastic info in there I've just got some seed and did a little trial for myself using a thing called smoked water I soaked 2 different seeds in smoked water and 2 in PH'ed 7 water , the smoked water ones took 24 hrs and the PH'ed 7 ones are still to crack , to make smoked water is easy I just head to the last place there was a bush fire and I look for good fresh ash and boi char I fill a bucket with it then fill it up with water and let it steep for 24 hrs strain off the water into a clean bottle and you have got smoked water , I know this is a little off topic and delet if you want the thread just brought it to my mind so i thought I'd add it to the thread .

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

This is pretty trippy and want to know if anyone has ever tried this and if so what were the results. Sounds like it should work. Peace

This is a great recipe I think you guys are really going to like. Have you heard of SST (Sprouted Seed Tea)? If not you can read about it here.

SST or Sprouted Seed Tea is where you take a bunch of seeds, generally of a fast growing plant like alfalfa, and you soak them in water overnight or so, then drain and keep them moist. In a few days they will sprout.

So now you have a whole bunch of seeds that are just starting to sprout. Once you see the roots start popping out, the seeds are really sprouting and sending out their earliest roots. At this time, they are packed with growth hormones as they struggle to get started growing. You are going to harvest those growth hormones and use them to give your plants a big boost. The growth hormones will trigger your plants to put energy into root development and plant growth which helps growth rate – add fertilizer at the same time to maximize growth rate in your plants. This is good stuff.

To make a traditional SST, you would get the seeds right as they have sprouted roots, about 1/4-1/2 in long. Collect all the seeds at this point and put them in a blender. Blend them up very well. Then just add this concoction to your water supply and water your plants.

Now say you want to store this mixture and use it a bit at a time on your plants. At the same time, you can enhance its effectiveness, so a little bit goes a long way. We’re going to ferment it!

Take your freshly sprouted seeds, but before throwing them in the blender, estimate their weight (or weigh them). Take 1/3-1/2 that weight in sugar (or volume molasses where 1ml=1gm). Add the sugar source to your sprouted seeds in the blender. Now blend them all up. Once that’s done, just add a little lacto and then seal the whole mixture up in an airtight container. Now ferment the whole thing for 3-6 weeks.

Now you have a great plant growth stimulant, saved for whenever you need it. Add it to the water when watering growing plants. You can add it at 1-2tbsp per gallon of feed water.

Here is the recipe in short form with pictures:

1. Gather a bunch of seeds, preferably of a fast growing plant like alfalfa. I’m just using bird seed cause it’s cheap but if I had access I would use alfalfa seeds.

Seeds ready to be sprouted

2. Soak seeds overnight in clean unchlorinated water.
3. The next day, drain seeds of water, but keep them moist. You can use a moist paper towel for this, cover the seeds with it and keep it moist

After soaking the seeds we keep them moist

4. After a few days, you should see white shoots start popping out of the seeds
5. When the young roots are around 1/4in long, they are ready for harvest. I’m quite late here but that’s ok.

You can see the shoots coming out a lot now

From the top you can also see some molds taking over too. That’s actually OK too, they look like a nice white non-pathogenic variety and will have just started the breakdown of the seeds into their baser nutrients.

After a few days the seeds sprout

6. Weigh out or estimate the weight of the bunch of sprouts
7. Get 1/3-1/2 that weight in sugar and add it to the sprouted seeds

Get 1/3-1/2 part sugar to blend with the seeds

8. Add this whole thing to a blender and blend it well. You can add a bit of water to facilitate blending. The water also helps dissolve the sugar. You can dissolve the sugar in the water before you start blending.

Now we add the seeds to blender with water and sugar

9. Add a bit of lacto, like 1-2tbsp per liter of mixture
10. Seal up this whole thing in an airtight container. Use an airlock or something as gas will be created during fermentation that needs to be let out, without letting air in.
11. Leave in a dark place for 3-6 weeks to let fermentation run its course. After fermenting it looks quite a bit more broken down.

Now we have our Fermented Sprouted Seed Tea (FSST)

Using the Growth Promoter
Add this growth promoter to your plant’s feed water at 1-2tbsp per gallon. Play around with more or less and report back your findings!

Great recipe! I’ve been adding 1/8 tsp of hydrated organic kelp meal to boost up the sprouting. I’ll be going to a KNF workshop with founder Master Cho next weekend! When you added the sugar that reminded me of this.

If you have ice cube trays I’ve also used an ice cube tray to freeze the SST and each cube is good for about 2 gallons depending on the strength I usually sprout about 40 - 60 g of tea at a time since I don’t have much space to store. Do you freeze after adding sugar to ferment or set it away in a dark area?

MrChemovar

MrChemovar

That is correct sir. Although I've used it in veg just trying to see if there was any difference in response. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference but I won't be using it in veg anymore. Going to make a tea this week with budswell, corn sst, and some grokashi. Should be a winner.

Malted Barely and alfalfa for veg and mug bean and corn for flower!

MakaveliTheDon

MakaveliTheDon

This is my first post on this forum, ive been lurking for quite some time reading some of the most fantastic stuff of any of the forums that are listed in my myriad of google searches. that being said you might see me reviving some old posts in hopes or getting answer from some of the OG's around here. somewhere on the interwebz i read/watched a video of a college professor explaining the bvenefits of using the mycorrizhea that grow around/on the roots of bamboo plants. after all bamboo is the fastest growing organism known (to my knowledge at least) and it isnt solely due to its genetics. my other question is, can i use SST as a foliar feed as i have seen unbelievable results using just kelp extract twice weekly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom