Stainless Steel Undercurrent - WG

• Thread starter Wavegem
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I have a theory I put into practice that would like to share with you guys. I am calling it the "D" valve. I have not seen this anywhere.

All the undercurrent guys will benefit from over sizing there pump and putting a gate valve on the return before the epicenter. The idea is 2 methods of dialing the nutrient uptake at different plant sizes. First with mixing nutrients and second slightly closing the d valve until plants uptake the perfect ratio. Boom. Then you increase flow as plants get bigger. I am still working on it but from what I have found the faster the water the lower the lower feed and sometimes you can be too fast, especially at young ages.

What do you think?

* we should know not to close the valve enough to burn the pump out.

Maybe better to get a dimming switch for the pump itself, and then you can dial the pump speed instead of turning a valve and possibly burning up the motor.

J

Jalisco Kid

I have this on all sys I install. You use the the valve to return water to the rez this takes the back pressure off the pump. But I would run much more water then UC designs. JK

Wavegem

Wavegem

I couldn't help myself.
Day57

Last edited:
I

ir0nLung

I would use a lot more flow then UC's. JK
jk, wavegem, capulator in your opinion what is the benefit to having massive water flow? i just don't see why you would want anymore flow than what is necessary to keep the nutrient mix homogenized.

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

Cap is just stuck with my design,wavegem really is not moving a lot of water. His is a take off on uc. I have my reasons the way I design my rdwc tanks. JK

I

ir0nLung

lol you're one of my favorites JK...always shrouded in mystery. honestly after years of experimenting i feel like my most efficient and productive results have come using smaller pumps on timers.

Wavegem

Wavegem

On a 16 site undercurrent I have a 6000 gph pump. The pump is so powerful it throws off the levels in the buckets. I think that qualifies as moving a lot of water. Also I think air and water movement have a direct relationship with uptake. Upgrading air and water I have noticed need much less nutrients in the water. I am still learning but I can tell you that I peaked at 420 ppm for one week and I pushed them hard. They stayed around 250-350 the whole grow

I have also noticed when nutrients are to low ph drops. Increase just a tad and ph rises, so I have been hitting that threshold right were it rises they uptake a ton of water. If Ppm is to high ph drops or they eat it and get burned.

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

How much water is in your tank and how many gal per hour/min are you getting? I usually do not see much water getting sucked through them tanks. JK

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
9000 GPH on my current 6 plant system yo!

I like the idea of lots of moving water based on Heaths old threads he had me going with his colliseum. More water movement for less stagnation, and more O2.

I

ir0nLung

9000 GPH on my current 6 plant system yo!

I like the idea of lots of moving water based on Heaths old threads he had me going with his colliseum. More water movement for less stagnation, and more O2.

heath was an innovative mind, i love that colosseum thread at riu. you guys are wild men running pumps that size lol

J

Jalisco Kid

I look at turn over rate,but that is not the most important. My tank designs have gone over 100 gal in the root zone so thats some water to move. I believe the 3069's hold 38 gal if I remember right. JK

Top Bottom