Stand Alone Electrical System Ideas

• Thread starter Nukesrt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nukesrt

Nukesrt

Are you in Australia whewre the power is like 10X the rate of North America, just sayinbg cause where I live it's mathematically imp[ossible to be cheaper than paying the bill, by the time you pay off all the equipement you need to buy new batteries and the panels are either all not working or running at 50% eff, the on;y reaso to do it would be for stealth maybe? I feel like you could spend $40'000 to not pay $180 per month takes 19 years to break even, that equipement lastsfor less than that and eff drop fast after 5-10 years.

Hate to burst ur dream man but solar sucks.

If you somehow run it "live" and pump that dc into led's lines out to accept the same voltage, u would not need batteries, inverters, at all but goddamn thats some engineering and would it even be viable? If it comes to that get a greenhouse and pay to heat it? or just insulated room and pay for light?

Don't stop being a dreamer though brother!

I wonder if wind is worthi it lol or even worse.

Seems like burning coal is the cheapest.
im not planning on using solars for the whole house.. just the 4x10 which shouldnt even come close to a quarter of that price you stated

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

No. There's a hole for ventilation. And gas to escape. Insulator is not on the generator.but around the wood
aaah okay, i see.. ill for sure take this method into consideration if im not able to figure out something sufficient.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

If you are looking for stealth from the power company. (They will always know how much power you are using and when you are using it.) Consider the following: AC to DC converter to charge a bank of batteries. The DC supplies an inverter for lights, fans, etc. The converter can be on a timer so the power company will see power draw intermittently on and off. The batteries will provide power to the inverter when the converter is off. NOTE: All of the components in this type of system should well exceed the maximum power requirements of the room. Example: If the room needs 1000 watts the inverter should be at least 2000 watts, or more. It will be expensive but the power company will not see the typical 18 hour on 6 hour off light cycle.
yes! i live in socal but i plan on doing this in Mexico where they are starting to recreationally legalize it. just want to be ahead of the game.

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

I think my math was wrong on 12kw panels only running a 400w inb the end, in Cali it says a 1kw panel will produce 1400kwh per year so 4 per day = 48kwh - all efficiencies if that number is true maybe its closer 24kwh per day which would be 1500w of power... way more than 400w but still I don't think you will get your money back.

Edit: 24kwh/18when vegging 18 hrs per day
thank you for the numbers, thatll make it a lot easier for me when it comes down to sizes

Nukesrt

Nukesrt

OP, where are you located and what is your cost per KWH?

Are you doing this in your primary residence?

In the US at least there are lots of kickbacks from local utilities and tax refunds for installing solar and similar stuff. In the right location, the subsidies do in fact allow for this to be a cost savings over time. It's possible, but you gotta really work it.
im in socal but
OP, where are you located and what is your cost per KWH?

Are you doing this in your primary residence?

In the US at least there are lots of kickbacks from local utilities and tax refunds for installing solar and similar stuff. In the right location, the subsidies do in fact allow for this to be a cost savings over time. It's possible, but you gotta really work it.
the cost is equal to .14¢ / kwh

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

thank you for the numbers, thatll make it a lot easier for me when it comes down to sizes
NP Was going from memory and from a place and time that gets less sun than where you are lol but that 1400 per year number was from Cali, maybe it's doable I guess if the math adds up. And if you don't already have a hookup for power to the lacation ull save on that from the utility also.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

im in socal but

the cost is equal to .14¢ / kwh
Where I live it's 0.1 kwh and I get wayy less sun and it was slightly less thasn break even i think when i did the math... ur saving more and getting morelight maybe it's not as bad as I stated but for me the price of materials vs elecrtic wasnt evne close to worth it, any idea what ud be paying for panels? Last I looked into it $1 CAD a watt or less was susposed to be a good deal its probly better now..

Top Bottom