starting from scratch 4 site D.I.Y. fallponics

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ninjadip

ninjadip

Hey everyone!

@PerfecTrader @Zombierider @Cool_Beans
hey guys, this is what is on my plate now. I just wasn't happy with my current setup, even after switching it up some. Well the story is below..

Just wanted to let everyone know I haven't died, and i'm working on redoing my entire setup. No more 5 gallon buckets. I figured it's better to spend the money now and feel very strong in your system's ability and have a great grow/harvest than beat myself for not doing the upgrade before another grow.

All the parts are ordered except the pvc piping, which i'll get at the local store once everything else arrives.

@SpiderFarmerLED I haven't forgotten about the free light, I'm going to pimp it out very soon!! I promise

I wasn't happy with the previous setup. I couldn't get the flow I was happy with that I thought was sufficient enough. I scrapped almost everything and just dropped some $$$ ordering all these parts. Couldn't find EZ Stor lids in Black anywhere. Near everyone is out of stock, and the stores that aren't won't a crazy amount of shipping for four lids. So what I did was order the lids off of a plastic distribution website that has them in white. I'll just paint them black or something when I get them.

So the plan is there on the paper, i think it's well explained.
a 38gal res with a 700 gph inline pump, i did a little research and i think i got a good one with the Danner brand.
This will bring water in to the plant sites at the top, creating a waterfall effect.
The setup will allow for a chiller in the future if needed/desired right on the res.

The return lines are 2" pvc piping. I got what everyone said are the best bulkheads, precision marine. Doing some gravity water return calculations, 2" should be sufficient.

Everything was ordered this past weekend, so I hope in 3, 4 weeks max, everything is up and running!!! I can't wait. I think this system will kick ass. It's definitely not original, but it will be leaps and bounds better than what I had. If you total the max sites up, you get 90 gallons, being conservative in a normal system it might be 75 i think. We'll see, but still 75 gallons for four plants will be a game changer for me!
Starting from scratch 4 site diy fallponics

I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post this, but this is near exactly what i'm building. While I'm still spending some money, i'm not spending anywhere near $700, and I think I have a better air pump and water pump than this setup, plus a much bigger external res. I do appreciate the guy that does these builds though, he seems cool. He acts like he doesn't care if you buy them or not, but he lists all the parts used so you could do it yourself if you wanted.

Starting from scratch 4 site diy fallponics 2

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I do appreciate the guy that does these builds though, he seems cool. He acts like he doesn't care if you buy them or not, but he lists all the parts used so you could do it yourself if you wanted.

I'm building my own version of this RDWC setup, got the buckets, lids, and bulkheads from Gary. If it weren't for those buckets being over $200 alone for 5 of them, I could build this for much less than he is selling them for....as it is, I'm saving a couple hundred bucks pulling everything together myself and I will have a bunch of extra tubing because I bought 100' rolls of the 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4".

What air pump did you decide on?

Looking forward to watching your success here!

ninjadip

ninjadip

I'm building my own version of this RDWC setup, got the buckets, lids, and bulkheads from Gary. If it weren't for those buckets being over $200 alone for 5 of them, I could build this for much less than he is selling them for....as it is, I'm saving a couple hundred bucks pulling everything together myself and I will have a bunch of extra tubing because I bought 100' rolls of the 1/4", 1/2", and 3/4".

What air pump did you decide on?

Looking forward to watching your success here!

I might need some more 1/2" tubing from ya! I only bought a roll of 50'

My plan is to only have air stones in the res, I think with the high flow rate that that should be sufficient. It will make the stones easier to monitor/clean also.

Are you going to put stones in your system, and if so, in each plant site or what?
How far along are you on your setup?

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I might need some more 1/2" tubing from ya! I only bought a roll of 50'

My plan is to only have air stones in the res, I think with the high flow rate that that should be sufficient. It will make the stones easier to monitor/clean also.

Are you going to put stones in your system, and if so, in each plant site or what?
How far along are you on your setup?
C'mon by bro, we'll sample some meds and talk 1/2" tubing!

Yes, I am putting an air stone in each plant site and one in the res. The more o2, the better.

I actually started RDWC in the single plant version by PAH, so it's a natural progression for me. I know the system, how it works, and how to work it, or at least I am learning and getting better. I have all the parts, just finishing up the room where my new grow space will be and then I will be assembling the system and getting it fired up. I'll be starting a new grow journal to document my experiences with the new system, even got a new light that I can't wait to unbox.

steamroller

steamroller

The Danner Mag is a good pump, but may elevate the res temp 5-7 degrees above room temp and be a little loud if used in sump.
Outside of sump you need to watch for leaks.
I would not use either the Danner or my recommended Jeboa outside the sump. All I have used that way leaked eventually.

ninjadip

ninjadip

The Danner Mag is a good pump, but may elevate the res temp 5-7 degrees above room temp and be a little loud if used in sump.
Outside of sump you need to watch for leaks.
I would not use either the Danner or my recommended Jeboa outside the sump. All I have used that way leaked eventually.
Thank you.
I looked at the Jeboa pumps, and it did not seem like they make any inline/ external res pumps. If they did, I might have got one of those. I remember your recommendation from another thread.
I have only heard praise about Danner pumps as well in the community, so i figured they must be good as well. I really want an inline pump for this setup. It will be connected to a ball valve on the res that will stem from a bulkhead. I shouldn't have any leaks. Are you saying the Danner pump leaks internally? I thought that was best part about the mag pump technology, about its internal design.

Magnetic drive pumps have no direct connection between the electric motor shaft and the impeller; therefore, no seal is needed. There is no risk of leakage unless the pump casing is broken. Seals are known as a major cause of pump trips and unscheduled shutdowns. Obviously, the elimination of seals is a great improvement for performance, reliability and availability of pumps. The risk of leakage is completely eliminated; this means that liquids can be pumped without spillages. Eliminating the seals also gets rid of associated friction loss, wear, costs and noise. This provides complete separation of liquid from the pump drive and better transfer of motor power to the pump. There is practically no heat transfer from the electric motor because the pump chamber is completely separated from the electric motor by a large air gap; this provides an effective barrier between the two.
Advantages and limitations of magnetic drive pumps

I'm just learning about pumps, and I like how the mag pump works over a standard sump pump. I'd like to hear why you don't like them.
Where did your external pump leak from? the pump housing or the hose fittings?

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

My 700gph danner leaks when I use it for pumping water outside. It's kind if hard to tell, but it looks like its seeping out around the screws that hold the housing together. Its not much and it still pumps water, so I just stick a sheet pan under it. In all fairness, I beat on it pretty hard testing venturis.

ninjadip

ninjadip

My 700gph danner leaks when I use it for pumping water outside. It's kind if hard to tell, but it looks like its seeping out around the screws that hold the housing together. Its not much and it still pumps water, so I just stick a sheet pan under it. In all fairness, I beat on it pretty hard testing venturis.
dang. i tell you what, if mine leaks, i'm returning it.

ninjadip

ninjadip

just got the box of 2" bulkheads in from precision marine. Looks like I might have 2 more than this project needs. oh well, these are great to have around for future projects

Now i see why they cost so much, these are some killer heavy-duty bulkheads!!!!!!

even got a nice hand written thank you

ninjadip

ninjadip

It may not leak, I just had bad experiences trying any pump in line.
The German version of the jeboa that cost 3-5X more is known for leaking when used inline.
The beauty is they do not transfer heat so if you have the room in the sump is way to go IME.
i'm going to get a jeboa sump pump that will go in the big res and run a 3 part venturi manifold.

was looking at this one
what do you think @steamroller

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Couldn't find EZ Stor lids in Black anywhere. Near everyone is out of stock, and the stores that aren't won't a crazy amount of shipping for four lids.
You just missed the sale for $5.75 per lid.

I picked up a bucket and lid a week or two back. Plenty of stock.

ninjadip

ninjadip

You just missed the sale for $5.75 per lid.

I picked up a bucket and lid a week or two back. Plenty of stock.
well they are that price almost everywhere. i just got tired after looking at 20 online stores, and making a list of those that were out. it was pretty funny lol.
glad you found some. I thought i got lucky at first, and then the next day they emailed me they were out of stock as well and refunded me.

i don't remember that website you went to being on my list, kudos to you

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
i'm going to get a jeboa sump pump that will go in the big res and run a 3 part venturi manifold.

was looking at this one
what do you think @steamroller

View attachment 1325778
Hey, I'm just about to order an auto pot system that looks similar to what you're building. I'm not sure about the differences between them but they may incorporate some of the parts....
My price today is about $230 Cdn. shipped I'm not sure what parts you're in need of for your system but have a look at this to see if you can utilize any of the parts at a better price.....
I know this system is available in the USA.
Is there a difference the 2 grow systems?

ninjadip

ninjadip

Hey, I'm just about to order an auto pot system that looks similar to what you're building. I'm not sure about the differences between them but they may incorporate some of the parts....
My price today is about $230 Cdn. shipped I'm not sure what parts you're in need of for your system but have a look at this to see if you can utilize any of the parts at a better price.....
I know this system is available in the USA.
Is there a difference the 2 grow systems?View attachment 1325797
i can't see anymore than the image. i don't see a link.

my worry about that one is the size of the return lines. i don't see anything in the pic. i'm paying what your paying for my setup as well. i only showed the listing price if you went that route. it's a huge diff of price cutting some stuff yourself vs. precut.

There is a huge difference between the two systems. This doesn't look like fallponics to me. where the water returned to the plant sites is dropping in the top creating surface agitation and oxygenating, like a waterfall, as opposed to undercurrent. My return lines back to the res will be 2" pvc, very high flow.

can you send a link to your system?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
i can't see anymore than the image. i don't see a link.

my worry about that one is the size of the return lines. i don't see anything in the pic. i'm paying what your paying for my setup as well. i only showed the listing price if you went that route. it's a huge diff of price cutting some stuff yourself vs. precut.

There is a huge difference between the two systems. This doesn't look like fallponics to me. where the water returned to the plant sites is dropping in the top creating surface agitation and oxygenating, like a waterfall, as opposed to undercurrent. My return lines back to the res will be 2" pvc, very high flow.

can you send a link to your system?
Ah okay, I saw the 4 pot set up and $700 USA = $1000Cdn and mine at $200Cdn = $130 USA I didn't know there was such a difference in grow styles...there ya go my 2cents was worth zip lol.......

ninjadip

ninjadip

Jebao DCP-6500 with Sine Wave

Power: 55-watt 110-120V 60Hz, Max Flow: 1710gph, Max head: 14.7ft, Dimension: 7x4x5 inch

@steamroller just ordered this for the venturi manifold. 1710 gph max?? crazy.
In two weeks or so I'll order a small one for the cloner to replace the AC model in there on that venturi.

Just ordered other parts I will need today. Now the waiting game...

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Latest posts

Top Bottom