Starting Seeds With Caps?

• Thread starter whocares
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

whocares

i do not plan on using the paper towel method or presoaking the seeds. Im either going to put them in rock wool cubes or into 3 inch straight coco pots.

I was going to just water them with a 10% vegamatrix mix but am thinking a 10% tea might be better.

What do you think?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
You don't feed seeds, simple as that. Use a tried and true method, there's a reason they're tried and true.

Soak the seed in plain h20 for 24 hours, if it's floating after 24 hours still it's most likely a dud.

Then straight into whatever media.

A seed has everything the seedling will need for food for the first couple weeks anyways. Good luck and happy growing!

One Love,
tobh

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Agree with tobh. I personally use a seed soak nutrient solution, soak the seed for 12-24 hours in cup of seed solution, then strait into soil.

Good luck.

organix4207

organix4207

I don't even soak , strait into an organic soil mix. I never plant seeds more than 3/8". I have soaked seeds but have better luck just straight into dirt.

organix4207

organix4207

I don't even soak , strait into an organic soil mix. I never plant seeds more than 3/8". I have soaked seeds but have better luck just straight into dirt.
To each their own though of coarse
Happy farming and positive vibes :)

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The only reason I even soak is to weed out the duds. Hate planting a ton of seeds and then never seeing some pop the surface. Never had this issue since I've started soaking seeds. 100% success rate with just a straight water soak and into the dirt.

Getting a seed to pop is the easy part and shouldn't be complicated. Getting a plant through to harvest, now that's the real achievement.

One Love,
tobh

organix4207

organix4207

The only reason I even soak is to weed out the duds. Hate planting a ton of seeds and then never seeing some pop the surface. Never had this issue since I've started soaking seeds. 100% success rate with just a straight water soak and into the dirt.

Getting a seed to pop is the easy part and shouldn't be complicated. Getting a plant through to harvest, now that's the real achievement.

One Love,
tobh
I agree with you there , it is a good way to ah hum " weed" out the duds. Lol
I Generally use distilled 0 ppm water during my grow. When I have soaked seeds have preferred to use my well water. The minerals in the water is like food to a seed just beginning life.

W

whocares

i picked up a bag of black gold coco. i am wanting to plant the seeds straight into it. I was about to and though ya know just to cover my bases let me check the ppm/ph. i simply filled a small pot with coco and ran some water through it. the water is very brown, has a ppm of 1600 and ph 6.2

Im thinking maybe i should rinse it before using? what ya think?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
Definitely rinse. Check your water first to verify ppm level. I rinse my coco (super cheap shit from the pet store) five to six times, final two rinses with RO water until the EC drops to .1. On the Hanna ppm scale you want sub 200 ppm. pH to around 6. Then preload with 1/4 strength nutrient solution. Make sure to add CalMag right away too, the high P content of coco fucks with the levels otherwise. There's a big thread about this on here, search for it in the coco section.

One Love,
tobh

W

whocares

Definitely rinse. Check your water first to verify ppm level. I rinse my coco (super cheap shit from the pet store) five to six times, final two rinses with RO water until the EC drops to .1. On the Hanna ppm scale you want sub 200 ppm. pH to around 6. Then preload with 1/4 strength nutrient solution. Make sure to add CalMag right away too, the high P content of coco fucks with the levels otherwise. There's a big thread about this on here, search for it in the coco section.

One Love,
tobh

this is exactly what i was going to do :) then poke a little hole and plant the beans. would this go against the info you provided in your first post about seeds having everything they need until you get your first set of leaves?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
nope, the pulp of the seed is what provides the plant enough food. You precharge the coco with your 1/4 strength nutrient solution to provide it what it needs to get through the first week or so until you hit it with it's first watering. Never water coco with straight water either. Always feed a minimum of 1/4 strength solution. You'll be solid with that to start with, make sure to read everything you can here, coco is a hell of a medium.

One Love,
tobh

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Soaking seeds in the root and nute pack solution will help them fight off damping off/fusarium/pyhtium etc. as they grow in to little seedlings. A 30 minute soak with 1 gram of each root and nute packs in 100 mL of water will do the trick.

K

kolah

Soaking seeds in the root and nute pack solution will help them fight off damping off/fusarium/pyhtium etc. as they grow in to little seedlings. A 30 minute soak with 1 gram of each root and nute packs in 100 mL of water will do the trick.

This I did not know. Thanks man.

BTW Cap.... I picked up your Bennies at a grow store in Co Springs. This will be my first using them.

Top Bottom