Steamrollers little hide away pt 1

• Thread starter steamroller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Is that a metal cargo container? Goes on either a ship or big rig?
Yes. Metal cargo container. Ship. This was in Cali so I was buying the empties through a broker down by the Long Beach Port.

At the time I was building out around three 40ft containers a month for customers. I had to stop building for single clients for a while as I had a contract with a Group that were setting up in California City at the time. I built 30 units for them so I had to double my build crew and manage them going in and out so that we didn't show up with 10 trucks waiting to drop off 40 ft containers!!!

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Yes. Metal cargo container. Ship. This was in Cali so I was buying the empties through a broker down by the Long Beach Port.

At the time I was building out around three 40ft containers a month for customers. I had to stop building for single clients for a while as I had a contract with a Group that were setting up in California City at the time. I built 30 units for them so I had to double my build crew and manage them going in and out so that we didn't show up with 10 trucks waiting to drop off 40 ft containers!!!
Back when things were different I was planning to get a few of these to build a cottage up North. Wanted a refrigerated one too.

But at the time it was a code nightmare so back burnered it. Seems a lot more common now. Used to be cheap to nothing but delivery was really expensive. I imagine they aren’t cheap anymore and delivery is through the roof.

steamroller

steamroller

Back when things were different I was planning to get a few of these to build a cottage up North. Wanted a refrigerated one too.

But at the time it was a code nightmare so back burnered it. Seems a lot more common now. Used to be cheap to nothing but delivery was really expensive. I imagine they aren’t cheap anymore and delivery is through the roof.
They are listed around $5k for a 40 footer in my area.
You can rent various sizes for less than $100 a month.
If you grew enough in 6 months you may really make out.
Mine may not be for boats but I grew a boat load in it! 😎

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

They are listed around $5k for a 40 footer in my area.
You can rent various sizes for less than $100 a month.
If you grew enough in 6 months you may really make out.
INDEED!!!! With that setup? DAMN....... 😄

Back then I was getting them for $500 for 40's and $450 for 20's. If I wanted a little more headroom I could get high cubes for around $800 and reefers for $1,500 if the client had 480/3 phase to power the unit.

Now their ridiculously expensive because of all the preppers buying them up for their wilderness retreats. Every once in a while I'll run into one that someone has sitting in a field and can pick it up at a reasonable price but buying it from brokers is not profitable anymore.

steamroller

steamroller

DSC 0254

Box# 1 4@ 1 gallon pickle jars^^

DSC 0259

Box #2 has 6 jars a little smaller than the pickle jars. They hold 2-3 oz easy.^^
DSC 0264
DSC 0265

Box #3 holds 12 jars...^^^
Phat slacker. 🥸

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

INDEED!!!! With that setup? DAMN....... 😄

Back then I was getting them for $500 for 40's and $450 for 20's. If I wanted a little more headroom I could get high cubes for around $800 and reefers for $1,500 if the client had 480/3 phase to power the unit.

Now their ridiculously expensive because of all the preppers buying them up for their wilderness retreats. Every once in a while I'll run into one that someone has sitting in a field and can pick it up at a reasonable price but buying it from brokers is not profitable anymore.
I remember those prices. I worked for Canada Electric. We helped build the sky dome.

$5k? Shit. That boat sailed, and took the container with it.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Wonder if the wooden floors/platforms are still an issue. IIRC insects and/or poison in the wood?

I can see the value in having a grow container. Like a job site trailer on steroids. 💪
One of the first things I would do when I got these trailers is bleach bomb them and pressure wash the entire interior afterwards! Bleach Bombs are Hudson Sprayers that we would fill 2/3 of the way with a bleach to water ratio of 1500 ppm. We'd pressurize them and then set them off with the wand on spray, run out of the container and close the doors and seal them. After an hour we would come back in and pressure wash with a peroxide wash to neutralize the bleach. After the floor dried we'd spray linoleum glue on the wood floor and lay out a roll of white linoleum. Sometimes the client would want black and white tiles instead of all white so we would do peel and stick tiles on the floor. OSB walls and ceiling.

I always tried to design with the guy that has to put it together in mind so I would set up a junction box on the back of the container next to where I would mount the compressor for the mini split. All the owner had to do was run 2 phase/240 into the junction box and it would energize everything inside the container. 2 sub boxes. 240v sub for lights and A/C and 120v sub for plugs for miscellaneous gear. 2 gang box line across both sides of the container. This was the basic flower room design.

Did this design for someone that wanted to do an all in one 40.

40ft Container Grow Room

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Very cool! I like utilitarian.

I had two fav designs. One was a two story hashtag shape. Two bottom and two top.

The other was a square with a central open area and optional second level that would be a diamond on a square. For full family units or shared family units.

Top Bottom