Stem Rot treatment? (Pics included)

• Thread starter iscrog4food
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I am running mostly 26 gallon tuff boxes but I choose to add in a few 10 gallon smartpots at the last minute. Because the 10 g are getting the same amount of nutes at the 26 g I guess I overwatered them and now one is getting pretty bad stem rot (I am DTW in coco/perlite mix). What should I do about the rot? I was considering trying to remove the affected branches but I would rather not loose the whole plant. I am on day 21 currently. Any help is appreciated!

Stem rot treatment  pics included
iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I also wanted to mention that the other side of the stem looks healthy and the only reason I noticed is because the affected branches buds looked less frosty than the others. Also can this stuff spread if I leave it? I am in a vert and the trees are relatively far apart but I just don't want to loose them all over this girl but I also don't want to loose this girl either if I can avoid it.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Ok well I said fuck it and I went in with a sterile blade and scraped away what dead tissue I could. Then I poured a H202 solution on it and it fizzed like crazy. I am just going to hope for the best, cut the water for a couple days and pour some dry great white mycros on it in a day or two in hopes to get a handle on it. I din't remove any branches yet and I am going to try to avoid it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Oooohhh... well, I've seen that on other peoples' plants a couple of times, and they ended up losing the plants. Have you been able to get cuttings off her? Next time, if possible, avoid creating a situation where the plant branches out so close to the ground level like that, this is the most common theme of such affected plants I've seen.

budboy299

budboy299

I second Seamaiden's assessment. I would definitely leave a few inches between the soil and the first set of branches just for the air movement. Also when watering....with branch joints near horizontal, alot of the time the water will sit in the crook of the joint which facilitates molds.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

Oooohhh... well, I've seen that on other peoples' plants a couple of times, and they ended up losing the plants. Have you been able to get cuttings off her? Next time, if possible, avoid creating a situation where the plant branches out so close to the ground level like that, this is the most common theme of such affected plants I've seen.

I usually clean up the lower branches but like I said these plants were an afterthought. I removed the dead tissue and hit it with peroxide and it looks like it is going to be OK but time will tell i suppose. I am wondering if it is contagious but I guess there are spores of stuff everywhere all the time. Who knows!?

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I second Seamaiden's assessment. I would definitely leave a few inches between the soil and the first set of branches just for the air movement. Also when watering....with branch joints near horizontal, alot of the time the water will sit in the crook of the joint which facilitates molds.

Yeah they are watered on drip rings so no water in the crook but I think I just over watered them in general

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've also seen this when guanos have been used as a top-dressing and allowed to cake/crust, and get too close to the main stalk.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

I've also seen this when guanos have been used as a top-dressing and allowed to cake/crust, and get too close to the main stalk.
Yeah this time no guanos this time I think just overwatering. It actually looks like it is going to make it. The entire area where I removed the infected tissue is brown like scar tissue but at least it is hard and not soft mushy nastiness. After scraping the tissue away and hitting it with the H2O2 I mixed a scoop of Great White mycros in a 10 ml syringe of r/o water and covered the entire area in hopes that the good stuff would keep the nasties from coming back. So far so good.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
spray the wound with straight 3% H202 from the drug store. Do this every day.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

spray the wound with straight 3% H202 from the drug store. Do this every day.
You think so? I don't know it looks like the great white is keeping anything from growing on there for now. I used 39% food grade 5 ml in 4 cups of water. Ill keep an eye out and if it I see mold growing again I will hit it with some drug store peroxide.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yeah this time no guanos this time I think just overwatering. It actually looks like it is going to make it. The entire area where I removed the infected tissue is brown like scar tissue but at least it is hard and not soft mushy nastiness. After scraping the tissue away and hitting it with the H2O2 I mixed a scoop of Great White mycros in a 10 ml syringe of r/o water and covered the entire area in hopes that the good stuff would keep the nasties from coming back. So far so good.
Aha! Sounds like you've got it cleaned up very well and if it's not mushy, but is hard and scarring over, that it's going to be just fine. I'd still get some cuttings, just in case. I'd also keep treating with beneficial microbes, keep the balance tipped in your favor. And that's damn near exactly the opposite of what Capulator advised. Ruh roh.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
You think so? I don't know it looks like the great white is keeping anything from growing on there for now. I used 39% food grade 5 ml in 4 cups of water. Ill keep an eye out and if it I see mold growing again I will hit it with some drug store peroxide.

The great white wont do shit for that. Neither will my bennies. You need to just watch it and spray with H202 until like sea says it heals up and hardens over.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You don't think that using beneficials to crowd out the bad guys will work better than peroxide here, Cap? I don't have a lot of experience doing it, so I can't say for certain. When I see rot, I cut that shit out and be done with it.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

You don't think that using beneficials to crowd out the bad guys will work better than peroxide here, Cap? I don't have a lot of experience doing it, so I can't say for certain. When I see rot, I cut that shit out and be done with it.
The great white wont do shit for that. Neither will my bennies. You need to just watch it and spray with H202 until like sea says it heals up and hardens over.

Yeah cap is right. I noticed a tiny patch of it growing back last night so I hit it with peroxide again. I'm less than 30 days from harvest so I think she will make it (also why I didn't just trash the plant).

Top Bottom